Outdoor Books for Kids

• jake47
    WI

I’m on the hunt (pun intended) for some good outdoor adventure books for my kids this Christmas. They oldest (7 and 5) are just starting to enjoy reading on their own and I’m looking for some good ones for that age relating to hunting, fishing or general outdoor adventures. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Also, if you have books that may be too advanced for them, please don’t hesitate to add them to this thread. I may buy some for us to read to them as well.

Thanks in advance!

Slipbob nick

Check out Kevin lovegreens books. My sons read them all

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Here’s a small collection I keep on hand for when the grandkids come to visit. I’d highly recommend, ideal for the 5-7 age group.

I figured a pic would save me from pecking out a list of them.

Sorry about the sideways image, I rarely have that happen.

Attachments:
    1. 20201204_184219.jpg

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

My side of the mountain series
    Hatchet
    Jack London’s books, specifically call of the wild

These are novels and are likely a little out of their age range but will be readable soon. I enjoyed them in mid-late elementary school and early middle school.

B-man

Kevin Lovegreen is a local author and has a great series of books for kids. Our boys love them!

I’ve met the writer a couple times at shows, seems like a cool dude

My favorite book as a kid was “The Hatchet”, but it’s a bit too much for kindergarteners (I skip over the divorce parts lol), but they love the plane crash and survival parts.

Lynn Seiler

“Never Sniff A Gift Fish” by Patrick F. McManus is a favorite of mine and my grandsons. Still keeps me in stitches. They love it when grandpa can’t control himself.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Mr. Crabtree Goes Fishing is a lovely children’s book. It is a long series of adventure cartoons (Sunday paper style) about Mr. Crabtree and his son Peter and all the adventures they have fishing throughout the year.

It is, of course, British, and was written just after the war, so the angling styles and species are different. But children will love it just the same.

Grouse

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Can second The Hatchet, which is the first of a series of Gary Paulsen books.

Maybe (probably) for when they are older – Death in the Long Grass by Peter Capstick. Also recommend the short stories found in the Sporting Classic magazines. I believe they have combined them to form a book of short stories. All intrigued my weird brain.

jake47
    WI

Thanks for all the recommendations. Have several of these on order now!

Ripjiggen

A little out of their age range maybe but “where the red fern grows” may be one of the greatest books I have read in my life. First time was in 1st or 2nd grade. It was read to us more than I actually read it myself then. I read it several times since.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Real old school here. But almost any book by a author named Jim Kjelgaard. Big Red, Irish Red, Snow Dog, Chip the Dam Builder just to name a few I remember. A teacher got me into reading by giving me a few of these books when I was in like 1st Grade. That jumpstarted my love of reading. Small easy to read books and they keep a young reader interested and wanting to read the next chapter. They may not be the easiest to find these days.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A little out of their age range maybe but “where the red fern grows” may be one of the greatest books I have read in my life. First time was in 1st or 2nd grade.

Great book. But like said it may be a little intense for a 5 and 7 year old. Still one of the saddest movie’s I’ll watched. Only three Movies tear me up every time. Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern grows, and Brian’s song.

blackbay
    mn

Lane Walker has a hunting series for kids.

ozzyky
    On water

Another vote for Lovegreen. Only books I can get them to read other than analyzing who to play for fantasy football.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Field & Stream series “Grandpa and the Kid” was just terrific. There is a “best of” collection of the stories on Amazon.

It may be for a more advanced age, but for boys that love outdoor adventure thrillers will like:

The Man-Eaters of Tsavo by JH Patterson – Fascinating story of taking on two killer lions who are stalking and killing workers on the Uganda railway.

The Complete Jim Corbett stories. Corbett hunted down dozens of deadly man-eating tigers and leopards in colonial India. His stories are hair-raising thrillers even today. Imagine sitting in the pitch dark waiting for your chance at a man-eating leopard that kills people in their houses in the middle of the night without waking people sleeping in the same room. And then something breathes on the back of your neck…

They really knew how to do adventure back then.

Grouse

Grouse

ThunderLund78

Lane Walker has a hunting series for kids.

YES! I second that BlackBay! like most kids, my 10 yr old is not exactly excited about reading. I’m a firm believer that it’s all about finding subject matter that interests them. I was an English Minor in College and being forced to read Shakespeare and Chaucer RUINED reading for me for years. We got him these Lane Walker books and they’re right up his alley. He no longer complains when it’s reading time for school or before bed.

https://lanewalkerbooks.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5bz-BRD-ARIsABjT4nhBhO9ElQE_qcA6L7ctzEvoeQLKIuOYzNgPhWp_ewVxUIpBB5rpWhgaAvtwEALw_wcB

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

“Who Pooped in the Northwoods”

This is a younger kids book that teaches about animal sign and many specific tracks. My kids have liked it for a few years (now 4 and 7) and they learned to point out various tracks and poop when we are out and about.

If you live in MN and go to the Northwoods it covers many of the animals there.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Poachers caught and more Poachers caught by Tom Chapman.

Short stories of a game wardens adventures of catching poachers.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.