Outboard tiller handle extension

• TMF89

So the only one I’ve really been able to find is the Helmsmate one, which doesn’t really fit around my Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker handle. It barely fits, but after a couple inches I can’t really get it any further. I’ve done some research, but I’m not having much luck. Any recommendations? Thanks guys.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I use the Minn Kota tiller extension that telescopes. While not perfect it gets the job done.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The Minn kota will work. I also put on 2 hose clamps over the extension and tighten it down even more than the screw knob allows.

This is on a 25 hp Merc. I can post a pic after work.

-J.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I made mine using a closet rod and a section of pvc pipe. It needs a fresh paint job and I use two clamps on the saw-split PVC. The closet rod is epoxied and has wood screws to secure it to the PVC.

Attachments:
    1. 20200423_103421.jpg

TMF89

Thanks for the responses! After quite a bit of cajoling I was able to get the Helmsmate one on, and it actually works pretty well. The articulating U-joint is pretty slick. Thanks again.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Thanks for the responses! After quite a bit of cajoling I was able to get the Helmsmate one on, and it actually works pretty well. The articulating U-joint is pretty slick. Thanks again.

The Helmsmate works on my Merc 9.9, and yes, it takes a bit of a push to get it seated in place. I also extended it using a 4′ length of aluminum pipe – best of both worlds getting the longer handle plus the U-joint base.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.