Outboard motor problem

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have a 1990 Mercury 60 horse two stroke. This problem started today. Intermittently it acts like it is in gear when I try to start the motor. I hear the beep when I turn the key, and then nothing else happens. If I wiggle the shift handle around it will suddenly grab and starts normally. It might work just fine the next several times in a row, and then fail again.

I’m guessing this has something to do with the neutral lock out. Is this a bad switch? Is it an alignment problem with the shifter? Thoughts?

Thanks guys

Steve

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I had the same motor years ago. I recall having that same issue, and the neutral switch was the culprit. Cheap and easy to replace, if I recall correctly.

pass0047
    Pool4

Had similar is on mercury and had to lift handle that was loose to activate switch.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’m guessing this has something to do with the neutral lock out. Is this a bad switch? Is it an alignment problem with the shifter? Thoughts?

I was not going to comment, because I don’t think I can narrow it down any more that you already have.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

On my 07 Merc I have to pull the throttle back a little usually, I’ sure it’s an alignment issue with mine just never bothered to fix it as I can start it always without problems.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Steve, IMO you’re barking up the right tree with the neutral safety switch.
    There’s a million different variations of these and I didn’t look up the Merc in particular, but areas to check with NSS problem are:

1. The switch itself, of course. Sometimes they can be temporarily revived with electronic component cleaner in a pinch, but if the switch is the problem, then it should be replaced.

2. The “seat” or cradle that the switch fits into. Some of these have an adjustment so the switch can be aligned and some have a threaded nut or other adjustments to put the switch closer/further away from the actuator.

3. The actuator or cam itself can become rounded off just enough that it won’t fully engage the switch. This can be difficult to see without a new part to compare. I got driven crazy by this happening one time, I made the mistake of assuming it was the switch, then when the problem didn’t go away, I assumed I got a bad switch, then…. Finally with the multi-meter hooked up, I saw what should have been obvious, it wasn’t the switch.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Update:

I misspoke earlier. This motor is a 1994. For the life of me I don’t see anything under the cowl that looks like a switch connected to the shifter.

I discovered experimentally that it works perfectly every time if I lifted the shift lever UP.

While inspecting the underside of the tiller arm (not easy for us crippled up old guys) I noticed that the shift lever was attached by one big bolt that runs straight up into the tiller arm. That bolt was finger loose…. I tightened it up snug and now I cannot reproduce the problem.

I might have gotten off pretty easy this time. Thanks again for the help guys.

SR

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

OK, finally found a document online that shows an exploded diagram of the shift hardware on my motor. There is a block on the front of the motor that has the up/down switch, the ignition key, it’s where the tiller arm pivots, etc. This is also where the shifter is attached. There is a stack of washers and other parts and the shift all held in place by one big bolt, the one I found loose yesterday. The neutral lockout switch sits just next to that stack. And the bottom washer appears to have a notch in it. This is making a lot more sense now. Unfortunately, if I remove that bolt the whole works is going to fall off in a pile and good luck figuring out how it all went together. Honestly the prospect of poking around in there scares me. So for the time being, I’m going to run it like it is and see if I really do have it working again.

SR

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Just tightening up the bolt was probably enough to get the switch to work properly. If it’s really greasy down there, some contact cleaner spray may help as well.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“some contact cleaner spray may help as well”

Good idea. I do have a can of the “good stuff”, DeoxIT D5.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Got out yesterday and the motor ran like a champion. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Steve

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.