out west hunt – looking for aaa insurance opinions

• Jason Beaulieu

Just found out I drew my any deer archery tag for North Dakota this year. Super pumped to finally be able to chase a mule deer in the badland country. But unlike a couple of past out west hunts where I typically hunt for one 4-7 day trip, or two hunts, I am planning (key word “planning”) on making multiple trips in search of the right deer. I feel as if I have gotten lucky with my vehicles running strong from start to finish the last couple years, zero issues, but with my current 01′ tahoe reaching that 200,000 mile benchmark shortly, it’s in the back of my head. Being as I will most likely be many miles away from any reasonable town let alone some place with a auto shop, I am curious what’s out there, or experiences for an “emergency” type insurance. I’m vaugly familiar with aaa, but looking at coverage it gives me the slight feeling of having that verbage loophole of being too far from a “certified” towing service or simply getting help because I am a long ways away from a town. Any thoughts or opinions for something to dig into?

Attachments:
    1. 20160320_173930.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Make sure you have towing ins. on your tahoe. Cheaper than AAA and you can call any towing company you want. You will have to pay up front and get reimbursed when you get back home. Just check and see what $ limits you can get.

riverruns
    Inactive

We are heading to Colorado on a elk hunting trip as well. I never even considered this? I hope others chime in! Thanks!

mattgroff

Maybe see if you can borrow your dads truck or sub if he has one. Lol. You may be right 200,000 is getting up their to take on a big trip. But if you have done good maintenance on it I think you should be ok. We are headed to Nebraska in October. And taking my new f-150 so hopefully no issues.good luck on your trip looking forward to see pictures.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Besides having a towing rider on my insurance, I would be more concerned about making sure suspension parts are in order for driving the two tracks. Of the few guys I have came across over the years while antelope hunting or P/dog shoots, most encounter blown U-joint, ball joint, tie rod, broken spring….

I’m nearing the 500,000 mile mark on my truck. Never hurts to take it to a very reputable garage and have inspections done.

riverruns – Depending on dates and location, look into having chains if you haven’t already. It’s a requirement on some passes. This last year on Olivia’s 3rd season hunt, we had 60 degree days then a couple days of 10″ of snow. North face roads out of the mountains had 2 to 5 inches of ice. Even with chains, we slid about 100′ backwards until the ATV trailer went off the road and stopped us. Another 50′, and we would have been rolling down the mountain side. Plus, know you turn radius if your pulling a camper. Every year we see 1 or 2 campers take the dirt nap

Attachments:
    1. 20151031_055011.jpg

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I have a towing allowance on my vehicle insurance but I still went with AAA for their cheapest roadside asssistance coverage. I did that because with AAA you have a phone number that will get help coming. If you are out in the boonies in the middle of the night it could be hard to contact a reputable towing company. I figure AAA is my best bet in that case even if I have to pay part of the bill or turn some of it over to my insurance at least I should be able to get a tow truck coming with AAA. They also have a decent app for your phone that I use to find the best gas prices a head of you, and what is available for motels and food. You can get discounts at motels and restuarants also.

riverruns
    Inactive

Besides having a towing rider on my insurance, I would be more concerned about making sure suspension parts are in order for driving the two tracks. Of the few guys I have came across over the years while antelope hunting or P/dog shoots, most encounter blown U-joint, ball joint, tie rod, broken spring….

I’m nearing the 500,000 mile marok on my truck. Never hurts to take it to a very reputable garage and have inspections done.

riverruns – Depending on dates and location, look into having chains if you haven’t already. It’s a requirement on some passes. This last year on Olivia’s 3rd season hunt, we had 60 degree days then a couple days of 10″ of snow. North face roads out of the mountains had 2 to 5 inches of ice. Even with chains, we slid about 100′ backwards until the ATV trailer went off the road and stopped us. Another 50′, and we would have been rolling down the mountain side. Plus, know you turn radius if your pulling a camper. Every year we see 1 or 2 campers take the dirt nap

Randy, thanks for the advise. We are hoping to draw 1st season rifle. October 15-19. I’ve been there a few times and I know it can get bad. Hell we even took 2 mules on vacation once. The weather was bad enough we didn’t want to use them to pack out the elk. The mules just got fed and watered.

I am going to talk to my insurance company and see what is available. We will be pulling an enclosed trailer with out tents, wood stoves along with all the other gear that we take along.

I guess as a person gets older we get more reserved?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.