Otter XT Hideout

• glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Has anyone seen the new Otter XT Hideout in person ? Or does anyone know who might have them in stock yet. In my area (N Illinois) I can’t find one to look at in person.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Good luck with that I looked everywhere and ended up just buying it on faith I’ll tell you right now it’s going to be the best one man hands down

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

Cabelas in Rodgers Mn has them in stock and on display. Oviously not much help to you there but a very good quality one man as expected from otter, with some clever ideas going into the format of the set up. huge footprint same floor space as the lodge When set up

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

Floor space as is length not width just to be clear.😉

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Glenn,

I may just be the closet you will find with one on hand.. like in my shed on hand…

I am in Prairie du Chien Wi…. If your up this way your more then welcome to check mine out….. and I’m guessing Cabelas here in Prairie will have one to purchase…

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Didn’t even think of that I live in Delavan WI if your interested in checking it out

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Thanks both Daves for sure. Delevans about 2 hrs for me Prairie is 4. My last hope was BPS in Gurnee but they don’t have any in stock either. I think I’ll just order one and look at it in my basement.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Lol you’ll be happy you did😉🎣 make sure you ask otter for the skirt extensions

holmsvc
    SE ND

Has anyone been out fishing in there Hideout yet? I’m interested in getting one, but I need to see it and sit in it first I think. Is there enough room for 2 holes, a LX7, and a buddy heater?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Has anyone been out fishing in there Hideout yet? I’m interested in getting one, but I need to see it and sit in it first I think. Is there enough room for 2 holes, a LX7, and a buddy heater?

ive sat in them at the store. I think what you are looking for is possible the only thing I would question is the 2 holes as the hideout is rather narrow. there is a lot of space for a 1 man though!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Depends on how much distance you want between the holes in the ice! Plenty of room for the LX-7 and buddy heater out front, but this sounds like a personal preference question that you’d need to answer in person. The cottage is the next size up, and lots of guys like it as an incredibly spacious 1-man.

Joel

holmsvc
    SE ND

Thanks for the replies. I’ve looked at the cottage, but the one I looked at had the bench seat. It didn’t seem to have all that much room out in front of me for fishing a 32 inch rod. I’d like this house for to be light for moving a lot, but I also want to be able to use it for setting up on a spot for a couple hours in the morning and evening to fish walleyes and I prefer to do that with a jigging rod and dead stick.

holmsvc
    SE ND

I love my otter lodge, but it seems like I may need to stray to a different brand to find what I want.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I just sat in one yesterday at the Woodbury Cabelas. I liked it…a bit narrow, but lots of room out front. I just can’t make up my mind between the hideout and the cabin hub.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

The otter cottage is a huge 1 man. I would find it very hard to believe anyone could find limitations with that fish house if you are fishing alone. Sounds like a cottage is a good choice for you

AaronMoore

what size rods fit the best in the cottage? would 32-34″ work with out hitting the front wall?

holmsvc
    SE ND

The otter cottage is a huge 1 man. I would find it very hard to believe anyone could find limitations with that fish house if you are fishing alone. Sounds like a cottage is a good choice for you

The cottage is really wide for a one man. It’s also an 82 lb 1 man house.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

This is true and certainly a factor to consider

red89
    Hudson

So sounds like you are looking for a 1-man that has fixed frame/quick flip, where the frame is mounted to the end of the sled and you don’t have to extend the poles. I think the Otter Hideout is the largest shack in this category. Clam has the Runner. Maybe even check out the Eskimo Wide 1 inferno with the front spreader bar.

andrew stanton

Now I’m 6’5″ tall football player build. Would a hideout be too small?. I’m used to my lodge,but I’d like to find something smaller. Hideout or cottage?

michael vick

Here’s the scoop….can’t believe you true fisherman haven’t seen the error! Otter messed up! Two, yes 2 large openings are exposed on sleds edges by side of sled. Otter will send you extra skirts for free. These have to be added to your sleds exterior. I can’t believe that this was unnoticed. I told them months ago….Get this , was told tell buyers to face front of sled into the wind so air won’t enter so bad. Otter clams a change will be made in next years model. Love Otter and waited for this model to come out. If it’s worth the price and you add some wind blocker (which you shouldn’t have to) go for it. First model might be a collectors item..hopefully not in your garage!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Here’s the scoop….can’t believe you true fisherman haven’t seen the error! Otter messed up! Two, yes 2 large openings are exposed on sleds edges by side of sled. Otter will send you extra skirts for free. These have to be added to your sleds exterior. I can’t believe that this was unnoticed. I told them months ago….Get this , was told tell buyers to face front of sled into the wind so air won’t enter so bad. Otter clams a change will be made in next years model. Love Otter and waited for this model to come out. If it’s worth the price and you add some wind blocker (which you shouldn’t have to) go for it. First model might be a collectors item..hopefully not in your garage!

I thought the same thing when I saw pictures of it earlier this year.

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

I’ve been thinking about buying the otter hideout, but after reading this am thinking I need to reconsider or wait till next year. I checked out the pics on otters website and I don’t see what you guys are talking about with the 2 large openings. Is the pic on there site a new model or am I missing something?

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I haven’t put mine together yet but it looks like a skirt like they put in the Cottage to block the wind would be great. But not sure until I put it together tomorrow.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Mike I think they’re talking about the middle picture where your legs would be. The opening that runs down the side of the tub on both sides.

Attachments:
    1. HideoutPackage.jpg

WeFish
    Fort Atkinson, WI USA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>michael vick wrote:</div>

I thought the same thing when I saw pictures of it earlier this year.

I liked the hideout, but having three loose poles for set up that could be lost was my factor for not buy it.

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks Glenn I see what your talking about now. Wefish thanks for the comment. I’m going to have to do more research on this shack I had no idea it was loose poles I assumed it was like all other flip overs and maybe needed to be extended but I don’t want to be messing with loose poles.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I liked the hideout, but having three loose poles for set up that could be lost was my factor for not buy it.

Those are the adjustable wind poles. They’re not required for set up. In the hideout all you need do is flip the shelter closed and you’re fishing. If you were out in a stiff breeze and wanted to install the wind poles that’s an option. Personally I rarely bother with the added step because the canvas rippling in the wind a little doesn’t bother me enough to dig them out of the bottom of the sled.

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks James. Thats exactly what im looking for. I’m planning to check one out today, they look to be a good quality product.

V B

Does anyone know if latest models of Otter Hideout XT still have the issue with tent skirt leaving two openings on sleds edges (described in this thread), letting cold air in? Has the skirt been redesigned to fix it in later year models? Any info is appreciated. Thx!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.