Otter Resort Bench Seating

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I think I’m going to REALLY like this! I’ve always used the swivel seats in the Resort but once the bench was offered in the Resort last season I knew I had to give it a look and spent some time yesterday afternoon putting this together in the studio. The bench slides front to back on the support bars to adjust seating position and lifts up to access gear.

Based on the temps it looks like I’m going to be fishing in a shack more than normal and I’m ready to go!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20171228_175828.jpg

Tmd71675

They are very nice, I bought a Resort with a bench a few years ago when Otter was building them for Cabela’s. On thing you will find is that large of a bench is a little hard to work around when digging through the sled. 5 gallon bucket won’t fit under the bench when sliding it back, but overall great sled and the bench fairly comfy when sitting for a good part of the day. I did end up customizing mine with dividers, counsel, boat seats and a platform to put the heater behind me and is it nice having all that open room in front of you in the big Resort but your not pulling it out by hand.

Timmy

Not that I would ever do this…… but that bench serves well for a nice bunk to take a siesta in the middle of the day…..or so I am told… whistling whistling

Sam
    St.Francis

I love mine I bought at the end of last season its really comfortable and I put some led lights on the bottom to light up the sled

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Don’t think I haven’t thought about it! I figure if I can take a nap on an otter Lodge bench getting a few Winks on the resort bench should be no problem.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Very nice! I just bought my first flip over..Otter Cabin with the bench. After sitting in a few at retailers decided bench over seats.

Somewhat related question — anyone have a good source for how Otter recommends folding these up? Being new to a flip over, it seems I just kinda pack and stuff the tent between the poles while folding it down but I’ve seen some have had issues with holes wearing in the tent fabric. Most often from the bolt heads that attach the bench to the sled. Would prefer to maximize the life of this rather expensive piece of equipment and prevent the simple things. TIA.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Somewhat related question — anyone have a good source for how Otter recommends folding these up? Being new to a flip over, it seems I just kinda pack and stuff the tent between the poles while folding it down but I’ve seen some have had issues with holes wearing in the tent fabric. Most often from the bolt heads that attach the bench to the sled. Would prefer to maximize the life of this rather expensive piece of equipment and prevent the simple things. TIA.

I’ve never had any issues with wearing holes in the canvas because the canvas was between the poles. Specific to the bench seat models, when folding the canvas material in make sure the canvas isn’t laying on top of the seat hinges and NEVER, EVER, put anything on top of the canvas when the canvas is laying in the bottom of the sled. If you put a 20# propane tank on top of the canvas and take a 30 mile rip across Lake of the Woods… you’re going to get wear spots. Instead lift the canvas up off the bottom of the tub, place the heavy item in direct contact with the tub, and tuck the canvas on the side of the heavy item. Auger flighting is another item that could cause damage if left in contact with the canvas. My advise is to use an auger tube or mount the auger to your ATV / sled. Simple stuff. Mostly just use common sense and you’ll be fine. At the end of the season, after many miles on the ice, my canvases typically look brand new.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I like it when the common sense approach is sufficient. Thanks! toast

CrzyToad75

I have an Otter Resort with a bench that is from the time they only came in non-insulated purple or green canvas. Probably over 10 years old with no rips or wear throughs. I put a couple layers of duct tape on the hinge where the bench cross beams attach to the sled in the rear and over the screws that hold the upright part of the bench to the pivoting hinge. Both were fairly sharp. Also, on mine the aluminum bench bracket that is by the front canvas clip on the sled, would be right behind your knees when sitting on the bench, bounced around the first time I used it and almost destroyed the canvas clip and stitching. I took it apart and cut front lip of that bracket so it doesn’t touch the clip. Problem solved. From your pic it looks like that bracket slides behind the clip but it will bounce around.

David Baker

I want it bad for my ice-fishing shelter

Charles

Damn talk about an old thread!

CaptainMusky

I will tell you the bench seat is about the most uncomfortable thing to sit on. I have one in my lodge and wish I would have just gone with 3 pedestal seats. My back is sore after only a little bit sitting on it. I tried trading with a guy last year but we were too far away.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That bench seat sucks, so uncomfortable. I made that mistake once but I won’t make it twice

Baitwaster
    South metro

Easier to access the items in your sled with swivel seats also.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.