OT report Oct 9 – 11

• Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Just returned from 3 memorable days fishing walleyes at Vacationland Resort on Ottertail lake. What an absolute blast and the fish were on the chew. Woke up Thursday to 30 degree temps. Trev informed us the wind had howled for 5 days straight which didn’t exactly excite me. Grabbed quality medium and large suckers and headed out with an eye on the graph. Stopped on a couple old haunts which displayed a couple Lowrance arches. No rods bending so we kept moving. Finally landed on a point with deep water nearby. Rod goes back (rigging), allow quite the length of time (seemed like forever seeing how I haven’t fished enough lately) tighten the line and feel pretty good weight, slow sweep and FISH ON… only to crank about 20 times and it lets go. This would be a common theme for the 3 days we fished. The good news? Gramps mentored me to enjoy the fishing experience every time out and NEVER judge your day of fishing by the number of fish boated. There’s fishing and there’s catching. Keep them separate and ALWAYS have fun when in the boat. Just not many places on this mad planet that provide the thrill of a boat. I’d say we landed 1 out 3 or 4 bites. Good thing we had lots of bites, LOL Anyhow… wasn’t long and my fishing partner informs me she needs the net. Nice start. 25″ chubby marble eye. Happened to be the biggest of the 3 days. She had the big fish hot hand and landed 6 of the 9 over 20’s we sent back.

The hot lure was a simple little 1/8 oz jig. Parrot took the majority of big fish and blue/white took the numbers.

If your looking for a great fishing vacation before freeze up give Trev a call or email. He’s keeping a cabin open so take advantage. Even with high winds the fish are close to Vacationland Resort so you can avoid long runs.

I’ll share a few pics of this memorable trip. Thanks for the hospitality, Trev!

Attachments:
    1. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-073.jpg

2. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-071.jpg

3. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-074.jpg

4. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-061.jpg

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

couple more pics

Attachments:
    1. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-072.jpg

2. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-069.jpg

3. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-058.jpg

4. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-059.jpg

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Trev jumped in the boat one evening and we doubled followed by a lesson on how to catch northerns. Thanks, Trev!

Attachments:
    1. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-068.jpg

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Lunch and the boat waiting on the lift. 30 degrees – glad the Optimax started and ran like a champ

Attachments:
    1. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-067.jpg

2. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-064.jpg

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Next door neighbors had a nice catch. They got frustrated with all the missed bites and found a much better hook up technique. Long lining #5 Shad Raps.

Nice meeting you Chris (IDO’s TOPH) and Adam (still hasn’t found IDO)

Attachments:
    1. Oct-2014-Kurt-iPhone-075.jpg

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

I’m sure glad the fish decided to eat after getting beat up for a week straight!!

I called the Northern bite didn’t I? What else could I expect after not being in the boat for 2 months?!?! Why did I sign up for this job….

Thanks for making the trek North, always enjoy having you and Karen in camp.

fireline
    Rochester

Love Vacationland and Ottertail Lake .With luck will be up there next year .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not to steal your thunder Kurt, but to reinforce it.

My cousin lives up in the VacationLand area and this is what his email said this morning…

“BK As you can see in the picture, its cold up here but the eyes where absolutely on the bite last week on Ottertail. I’ve never seen them so turned on in the last 20 plus years on Ottertail. This fish was 10 plus and the biggest I boated this year. We boated many dozens of fish in that 2 pound range. Now I’m in that, I need a bigger boat!”

Attachments:
    1. photo-11.jpg

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Love Vacationland and Ottertail Lake .With luck will be up there next year .

Hey Tom – sure hope you can make it back. PM me and let me know how it’s going.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

BK – thanks for sharing. Good time to head up to Vacationalnd and enjoy a voracious bite. They fought like anything but a limp noodle walleye.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.