Ordered a new rod – it came as a 2 piece.

• Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I decided to try a new rod (or 2) for jigging Walleyes this summer. I figured if I didn’t like them I would give them to my Brother. So last Thursday I ordered a St. Croix Victory VTS710MLXF and a VTS73MXF. Both were “In stock”. This morning I get an email saying 1 rod was backordered. Then how was it in stock??? And it took days to figure that out??????

Later I decided to check tracking to see if the 1 rod was sent. To my surprise it said delivered . . . 4 minutes ago. So with a big smile I go the the front porch and found a rod tube.

Before I even got it in the house the big smile turned upside down. The clue was the “Priority Mail” tape on a big kink in the shipping tube. Boy it’s a durale tube. No clue how they could break it.

I called dealer and guess what . . . it was their last one. So now I have 2 rods backordered.

So I ordered both rods from someplace else. I called them, explained how what happened with a diffected dealer. She actually asked if she could go get each rod to make sure they had them both before I ordered. That was the real purpose of my call. Now I just checked . . . already shipped. Now that is CS. Once they get here I will cancel the other order.

I’m just glad I started this weeks before open water. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just go to a local St. Croix dealer and buy a rod?????????? I went to or called every St. Croix dealer within 45 miles. ALL said no and unlikely able to order. Most told me if I could find it buy it.

Attachments:
    1. DSCF2113-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That sucks. I had a rod show up broken once as well. Very disappointing when you are looking forward to seeing it.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Been lucky so far ordering rods. Elk River rods if i want a custom is 20 miles away . My favorite St Croix is 6 miles from my door . Over the years ordering from Cabela’s, B&M , Okuma have been problem free , knock on wood !

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Discrepancies in what the inventory software and reality say is what irritates me. Broken products happen in shipping and that won’t change. Good companies are prompt to take care of it.

I get pretty fired up when I drive 1-3 hours because “yep, x amount in stock”

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

That sucks. I got one of the VTS73MLXF last year and I really like it for blades, rippin raps, etc. Hope it all works out for you before the season starts!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

They even snapped that rod at the base.
    I hate shipping rods. I always worry if they are going to make it in one piece and it is so expensive. Last rod I shipped was $38 + the PVC. So $50 to go 3 hours north. It just makes your heart sink when you see the broken package at your doorstep. I waited 6 months for a rod blank and it came in broken. By the time I got the new blank and made the rod it took over 8 months to get it in my buddy’s hand. I am glad to hear that you have a replacement rod coming in time for open water.

stevenoak

Guy I pheasant hunted with loaded trucks at UPS. I asked him how they could screw up some of the things they do. Besides the UPS Olympics package toss. On a daily basis, odd shaped packages. Like your rod tube get hung up on the belt. Choices are to pick it up and reposition it, or kick or push it through with your work boot. I waited 2 years for a full body mount turkey. From a guy in Missouri that had won NWTF competition 3 years straight. I told him I would drive to pick it up in 2 weeks. He insisted he needed the space, and ships hundreds with no problems. Box came with a hole you could throw a basketball in. With feathers fluffing out. Buddy told me it was one of those big boxes that hang up. Of all places. I’ve had pretty good luck with the USPS not breaking things.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Stevenoak, that kind of explains the extra charge that gets added for a rod tube because of the odd size. You could rent a car and deliver a rod over 8’ for less than they want for shipping. The shipping cost quadruples as soon as the package gets over 8’ long and 2” in diameter.

Paul D
    Roseville

UPS – United Punch and Smash

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I ordered a custom rod from a guy near St. Cloud. Came by Speedy (gotta love them) in 2 days and in one piece in a PVC tube.

Adam Steffes

If I were shipping rods, I would be tempted to pack the rod as normal and then stick the whole works inside a piece of schedule 40 PVC to prevent the two-piece arrival potential.

Brad Dimond

HH –
    What is the name of the dealer who took great care of you? Always worth giving vendors with great customer service a shout out.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

It was USPS.

Waiting on UPS from Fisherman’s World now.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

FYI – if your shipping rods, see if you have SpeeDee in your area. Cost savings is mind blowing

stevenoak

I’ve had some good experiences with SpeeDee as well.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I saw a brown truck leave my driveway a bit ago. They dropped of 2 NON-broken rods for me.

In all not terrible. First dealer gave me a refund. They will deal with USPS. Sad they lost a sale due to shipper. They were very nice. FishUSA.

I ordered from Fisherman’s World and a couple days later I have 2 rods. Thumbs up to them. Without asking had rods in hand to be sure in stock and sent same day. Packed very secure – like I would have. All good.

Now someone pick me a 9′ Musky rod.

Attachments:
    1. DSCF2116-scaled.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.