Opinions on F150 engine choices

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Just out of curiosity what are people seeing with hand calculated (not the reading on the truck) mileage on these fords?

My tundra is getting broken in and I just averaged 18 mpg on a trip up to Bemidji. Thought that was pretty good for this truck but I know every other truck gets better

Mid 20’s when I stay off the turbos, 14+ towing the boat 75-80.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>
    Just out of curiosity what are people seeing with hand calculated (not the reading on the truck) mileage on these fords?

My tundra is getting broken in and I just averaged 18 mpg on a trip up to Bemidji. Thought that was pretty good for this truck but I know every other truck gets better

Mid 20’s when I stay off the turbos, 14+ towing the boat 75-80.

Thats pretty dang good

onestout
    Hudson, WI

It is mostly driving habits. Most vehicles get good mileage when you take it easy on them. There are forums that talk about the different things you can do to increase your fuel mileage, some are not safe like the guys that turn their vehicles off and cost to stop signs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

, some are not safe like the guys that turn their vehicles off and cost to stop signs.[/quote]

Is this actually a thing. Thats the dumbest thing I’ve read in a long time. Save .002 cents on gas, but put extra wear on my starter and fly wheel

blackbay
    mn

Is this actually a thing. Thats the dumbest thing I’ve read in a long time. Save .002 cents on gas, but put extra wear on my starter and fly wheel

Look up hypermiling if you really want to shake your head.

Lou W

I have a 2013 5.0., 150k. Besides basic maintenance I replace the WP at 90k and i had the blower motor go out at about 120k.it’s been a good motor. Plans were to trade it in this past spring but inventory/supply/ jacking the price up issues have caused me to wait. I’m thinking 3.5 eco boost next go round as I’d like better gas mileage. It’s my fourth Ford truck. Had a late nineties v-6 and a v-10 250 & 350, but I’m going to give Chevy and dodge a hard look too when the time comes.
    My complaints on my present truck are ….oil filter is in a lame location, back up camera got intermittent at 100k and the rotors get really stuck to the hubs and I don’t drive that truck in snow/salt/brine.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Look up hypermiling if you really want to shake your head.

You are correct, I read some of the hypermiling techniques. Driving without brakes and Rabbit timing. OH Brother!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I always laugh at the “you don’t notice it back there” comments. My truck is not lacking in the towing dept., but to claim that I don’t notice my 5500 lb rig would be absurd. It doesn’t struggle, but you can definitely tell that you have something behind you, be it in the acceleration and/or braking.

Just like the “like new” 15-year looks boats people try to sell, tell yourself whatever you want. rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I always laugh at the “you don’t notice it back there” comments.

I used to tow with a Ford Escape and I will admit that I definitely noticed towing anything with that. It wasn’t unsafe, but the vehicle just simply struggled to do it efficiently. It had to work too hard. When I went to a F-150, it was a massive difference. I knew my trailer was back there, but I really didn’t feel it when I was driving. I think sometimes people just say that as more of a metaphor than being literal. Plus a 5550 pound trailer is quite large. You’ll notice the second you hook up something that heavy.

John Timm

From what I’ve read the newest Toyota tundra is supposed to be equipped with a 416 HP 3.5 twin turbo V-6. Better mileage and even more power than the current 381 HP 5.7 V8.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

From what I’ve read the newest Toyota tundra is supposed to be equipped with a 416 HP 3.5 twin turbo V-6. Better mileage and even more power than the current 381 HP 5.7 V8.

I dont think they’ve released all the details yet it there certainly has been no shortage of hype thats for sure.

Adam Steffes

I find my 3.5 EB struggles more than some other half tons because I got mine with the 3.31 axle. It works great lightly loaded but it pulled a pontoon this weekend and struggled in 4th gear most of the time. Usually it pulls in 5th with my 20’ ranger. Its not so much the weight but all the wind resistance. I got 6-7 mpg pulling that pontoon in a stiff breeze. My 30’ travel trailer is way way way too much for the 150 both in power and in hitch capability. The hitch was actually bent after towing that trailer on a few trips. F250 has zero issues with it after 3 years.

Attachments:
    1. 2BCAEE1B-2526-4337-B96F-F2E41DD70DA7-scaled.jpeg

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Especially since GM has not kept up on the interiors. It looks like that will finally happen in 2022, but those are delayed I can’t wait that long.

If keeping up means sticking an ipad vertically on the dash and calling it a console then I wish they wouldn’t keep up. I do agree the 2019-2021 interior was a step backwards in the front seat area, but this new tablet trend is not for me.

Dan Baker

I’ve been super happy with my 3.5. It’s literally faster than my 03 Mustang GT. And very smooth. I get around 19-20 daily driving and 12-14 towing. It’s a pleasure to drive, and I love the turbo whine. I never feel like i am missing out on V8 sound.

mnfisherman18

I drive a 2013 F150 with the 5.0, it’s been great so far (knock on wood). I wouldnt touch a gen 1 ecoboost (2011-2014), I think it was updated in 2015. Just do a search for stretched timing chain if you’re curious why.

With that said, the newer ecoboosts seem to be pretty reliable. If I were buying today, I would consider the 2.7 or 3.5, but I will likely wait another 3-4 years and see what the new Tundra has to offer.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I drive a 2013 F150 with the 5.0, it’s been great so far (knock on wood). I wouldnt touch a gen 1 ecoboost (2011-2014), I think it was updated in 2015. Just do a search for stretched timing chain if you’re curious why.

With that said, the newer ecoboosts seem to be pretty reliable. If I were buying today, I would consider the 2.7 or 3.5, but I will likely wait another 3-4 years and see what the new Tundra has to offer.

They had problems with turbos and chains on all the 3.5’s maybe it got better in the newer ones. FYI on the new 2.7 it has a plastic oil pan that warps and leaks. That’s right I said PLASTIC!! WTF!!!

You guys can have them.

Neal Keeling

In 2017 the 3.5EB was redesigned to take care of the timing chain stretch by using 2 shorter chains rather than 1 very long chain. They also put small fuel injectors in the intake runners above the valves to wash down the top of the intake valves to take care of the coking problem around the valve stems.( A problem all direct injection engines have ) I have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5 EB. Love it. I pull my 619DVS with little problem and get between 13-14mpg depending upon headwind. I get 21-22mpg empty if I can keep my foot out of it. When I bought the truck I was couldn’t make up my mind between the 5.0 and EB. The 10 speed transmission made the decision for me.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnfisherman18 wrote:</div>

They had problems with turbos and chains on all the 3.5’s maybe it got better in the newer ones. FYI on the new 2.7 it has a plastic oil pan that warps and leaks. That’s right I said PLASTIC!! WTF!!!

You guys can have them.

I test drove a 2.7 a year ago and wasn’t real impressed. The shift points seemed weird and the rear end combination in the specific truck I drove didn’t seem conducive to towing whatsoever.

I’d echo the ecoboost comments. The Gen 1 version with the timing chain issue would keep me away. The newer ones seem to have addressed the issue.

In my 5.0L I average about 13-14mpg towing a 17′ fiberglass boat. I average about 10mpg pulling a 23′ tritoon. I rarely drive it far without something in tow, but the few times I do I’m averaging 20-21 on the highway and 17 or so in town. It’s not perfect, but was paid for in cash and gets the job done for everything I need. There’s no way I’d shop for a new truck in the current market. Demand and prices are at all time highs. Easy pass for me.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I was in the same position as the OP a few months back. Really needed a truck at the worst possible time to buy. Looked and looked and looked for an F150 with either a 3.5 ecoboost or the 5.0 and in a normal trim package. They were nearly impossible to find.

I wandered over to the Nissan dealer and checked out the Titan, mostly because they were available and Nissan still was offering some good incentives. Factory options are limited, and the Titan is not for the type of foo foo dude who needs an optioned out luxury truck, but in terms of functionality it’s all there. I got a base model 4×4 truck, 400 hp 5.6L V8, 9300 # tow capacity, and crew cab. Out the door price was 42K, with Nissan financing (1.9% APR) and a 10 year unlimited bumper to bumper warranty. I’ve only racked up a few thousand miles, so ask me in a couple years if I made the right choice. But after my previous POS Ram and my wife’s POS Ford, I regret nothing right now.

The only downside is that city mileage sucks compared to other comparable fullsize trucks. I’m seeing 13-15 in town. But on the highway, which is 75% of my driving, I’m seeing as high as 24 mpg. Truck says I’m averaging 21.

I barely ever see anyone running one. Not sure why.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you go to Art in the Park.. you may see a few. jester I had a Nissan… once.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Not sure I get it. Gay joke? Liberal joke? But after running a Ram for the last 7 years, I’d rather walk. Got tired of driving a rusted out pile of junk that cost me 1-2 grand in repairs every year. “but the new ones are better” says every dodge guy, for the last 30 years. No thanks. You can have them.

mnfisherman18

Bucky – I am seeing the same numbers with mine and in the same boat – satisfied with the performance and have no reason to upgrade anytime soon.

Chambers – I can see why you went with the Titan in this market. With the supply shortages I am sure your options were limited, and it sounds like you got a solid deal.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

Not sure I get it. Gay joke? Liberal joke? But after running a Ram for the last 7 years, I’d rather walk. Got tired of driving a rusted out pile of junk that cost me 1-2 grand in repairs every year. “but the new ones are better” says every dodge guy, for the last 30 years. No thanks. You can have them.

Wow, you jump right to stereotyping… my Nissan was junk. Dodge does not make a truck.. only Challengers, Chargers and Durangos.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Wow, you jump right to stereotyping…

Oh Geez. My mistake. Maybe you need to spell it out–exactly what you meant.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

But after running a Ram for the last 7 years, I’d rather walk. Got tired of driving a rusted out pile of junk that cost me 1-2 grand in repairs every year. “but the new ones are better” says every dodge guy, for the last 30 years. No thanks. You can have them.

I’ll keep taking them, thanks! Going on 210k miles between 2 Rams with nothing but tires, brakes and oil changes. Since we got to where we all knew this would end, to the OP maybe you could get a F150 with a 5.7L Hemi… jester

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’ll keep taking them, thanks! Going on 210k miles between 2 Rams

haha this made me smile. sort of a misleading statement there. in other words you could be talking about two trucks with 105k miles each where minimal maintenance was required? Sounds like the minimum standard every truck should provide

BigWerm
    SW Metro

in other words you could be talking about two trucks with 105k miles each where minimal maintenance was required?

Since you asked it was 160k on truck one, needed a bigger backseat for carseats, so traded it in for a great value on truck 2 that is just about to 50k.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Glad your vehicles have been trouble free. About all a guy can ask for

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I love the F v C v R discussion.
    I’m just going to say this – I’ve had them all and the best one is the one I’m driving that particular day.
    Rams have there issues, right now I could punch the guy that engineered uconnect.
    Ford F-150 with the 5.0 had the same spark plug coil go out on the same spark plug at the same mileage on 3 vehicles and then when they would take the sparks plugs out they would break off.
    Chevy tranny and 4wd would go out but that was 25 years ago with that vehicle.

queenswake
    NULL

I barely ever see anyone running one. Not sure why.

The Nissan Titan hasn’t done itself any favors. Put out their first version that was underpowered and lacking in just about every way. Then didn’t update it for what, 10 years? Meanwhile truck ownership exploded in all of the other brands.

If you are going to introduce a new full-size truck in a market already dominated by the top three and whose owners are already stubbornly stuck to their preferred brand, you’d better knock it out of the park. And Nissan did not do this. Look at how long it’s taken for the Tundra to start to eat into the big three’s numbers — and this is freaking Toyota who can do no wrong!

When I think about the Titan I ask myself, why? Give me a reason. And they haven’t provided one.

That said, in this market, they gave you a reason. Tons in stock and at a fair price. Congrats.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.