Opinions on F150 engine choices

• Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Aside from some issues with the early 3.5 ecoboosts from 2011-2015, I think they are just as reliable as any other gas motor offered in a half ton. The 5.0 and 3.5 are both great motors.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I wish I had shopped around for a lifetime powertrain warranty, my turbo went out at 62k miles, 60k powertrain warranty resulted in a $2k bill!

bowhunter84

Has anyone tried the half tons with a small diesel option? I think Ford, and for sure Ram offers one. They are expensive upgrades, but a lot less than going to a 3/4 or ton right now.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I got 2 buddies (yeah, I’m actually up to 2 now) with the Ram ecodiesel, they love them. They are very impressed with the mileage.
    I haven’t heard any news on the ford.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Has anyone tried the half tons with a small diesel option? I think Ford, and for sure Ram offers one. They are expensive upgrades, but a lot less than going to a 3/4 or ton right now.

We have worked on a couple Ram eco diesels at my shop. Mostly expensive coolant leaks in almost impossible areas to get at. From a performance stand point I hear they work pretty good and get good mileage. However you will not see one parked in my driveway.

have about 94k on my 2013 3.5; like others mentioned, the timing chain rattle on startup can be a problem, mine does it very randomly, never consistent, and I cant exercise my warranty due to it not being consistent.
    Spark plug changes should be changed more often (50-60k miles) as the boosted engines stress them out faster, luckily these are easily accessible.

all in all I really like mine while pulling our 4500lb camper, still get 9mpgs though (6 speed and 3.31 gears).

Now for the FvRvC
    I had thought about trading it in for a ram or a chev so I didnt have to deal with the timing chain mess, but a shop owner I’ve brought my truck to said the chevs have their active fuel management issues while the Rams with the Hemis have their motor noise issues from the lift rollers wearing out. so long story short, they all have their issues

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have a 2014 F150 with the 3.5, 3.55 rear end, 124K miles and no issues other than normal maintenance. Changed plugs and coil boots at 100K as recommended (1 boot started to fail under load)

KP
    Hudson, WI

I have a 2012 F150 with the 3.5 as well and its now up to 180k miles. Best truck/vehicle I’ve ever owned. Going to try and run the thing as long as I can because the Truck market like everything else is just stupid crazy. Also its nice not having a payment each month.

tornadochaser

I’ve test drove a 2.7, a 3.5, and a 5.0 in the past 2 weeks.
    they all haul @ss on the interstate. I’m still leaning towards the 5.0, as there’s more lariats for sale with that engine around here currently, I get borla exhaust systems for cost, and a 5 star tune really wakes it up.

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.