Opinions on a couple deer

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

The property owner and I have been having a debate on the age of some of the deer on this property. The property has a long history of growing tall main frame 8 points with short brow tines, and also very wide deer with shorter tine length than normal. We have 3 deer this year all very nice with these same looks once again. There is a very tall 7 point possibly 8 with a nub of a brow but we are up in the air on his age right now. The second pictures are of a pretty wide 10 point with no velvet but very thin tined and short once again as well. Any guesses on the age of these 2….I have a number just curious with others thoughts.

Attachments:
    1. highT2.jpg

2. highT3.jpg

3. ghost2.jpg

4. highT1.jpg

5. ghost1.jpg

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I would say 3.5 on the 8. Uncertain on the other one without seeing his body.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

8 point might be 2.5 yet. If you don’t look at the rack he has a very young body. Small front quarters, long legs, straight back, pretty small back quarters. If I had to guess I’d say he is 2.5 year old. The 10 I need a better pic to age.

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

The eight is 3 1/2 at most. Tough to tell on the 10 but from what I see my guess would be 2 1/2, not more than 3 1/2

sktrwx2200

They all look pretty young to me.. Id guess 3.5 on the tall 8.

ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

2.5/3.5. One more year and they will be dandy’s. Good luck!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

I would say they are both 3.5 year old deer. Would be neat to see what that 8 looks like next year.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

2.5/3.5. One more year and they will be dandy’s. Good luck!

Just echoing the comments above. Head shape, thin shoulders, and small rump – they all look young. Nice racks for their age.

We had these two checked for age when registered. The biggest feature I think is the head – shape/contour. Seems like between 4.5 & 5.5 years, the head really fills out and begins to look massive along with key features in the body. Naturally, genetics, habitat, minerals, and food source all contribute.

Attachments:
    1. DSCN3409-marked.jpg

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Yep, I’d say 3.5 at most as well.

I think that 8 could be a really nice 8 or 10 next year. The 10, I think will likely just get wider, and most likely not gain much in tine length. but maybe some mass. Again, just my opinion.

I had about a 16″ 8 in my scope opening day last year that I let go, you could just tell by looking at him that he was young, but had great genetics. I got a look at a buck that I presume to be him last week when I drove by my land, and he looks like a wide heavy 10 this year. He won’t be getting that pass if he walks the same path this year.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.