Opinions Needed: Ford Explorer – Yes or No?

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My wife just called and said she brought home a 2022 Ford Explorer ST. She said she has until tomorrow night to make up her mind if she’s keeping it or going back to her Jeep Grand Cherokee. She got a decent offer off a trade and would foot the difference with cash. The specs sheet she says it is certified used and has a 3.0L Eco Boost with 400hp and 415ft # of torque…along with every option imaginable. She wants a third row of seats and more room for the crap she hauls around and the kids on longer trips. I’m mostly concerned with reliability and handling on questionable rural roads in the winter. It won’t ever tow anything.

I went with her a few months ago when she drove a new Tahoe LT(less than impressed for the cost), a new Jeep Grand Cherokee L (seemed alright), and a slightly used 2023 Explorer Limited (seemed alright also). I told her I didn’t really have an opinion other than NOT the Tahoe, and that she should maybe just consider an F150 given it might actually be cheaper.

For those of you who have owned one, driven one, or ridden in one – what’s your opinion?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They seem to hold up pretty good. Have not owned one, have driven a couple on test drives at work. The only thing that would concern me is the turbos. If the mileage is really low, and it has good oil change records, I wouldn’t be to worried. Make sure you change oil more often than it tells you to and if it were me I would run synthetic oil.

mann4ducks

My wife has a 19 ST quad exhaust. Great rig. Alittle hard to see out of windows are kind of short. Great sensor locations. Two things to watch for you can reach 80-90 mph without even thinking also all wheel drive great in CO but it takes some gettin use to it started sliding due to bad tires and I instinctively tried to counter steer. Not the correct thing to do. there is selection switch for terrain changes and it helps on power transfer to front and back. I personally don’t like or use the sport mode paddles must be too old to appreciate. Good luck on decision and purchase

Deuces

The FG has one, she’s got 3 kids, travels around Nicollet county quite a bit, no complaints from her and I’ve driven it dozen times or so, nice ride. Comfy chairs, snow didn’t seem to be a problem. I think most newer vehicles with antiskid tech is gonna be good.

With kids and hauling stuff gets cramped super quick. I’ll take my yukon xl over it anyday. Camping trips and sports gear takes up alot room. 2 hockey bags would be a challenge in that trunk w 3rd row.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Tahoe is less than impressive for the cost, I’ll agree on that since we own one. Go down south and find a rust-free early 2000’s Tahoe, It’ll serve better than all of those vehicles and it’ll serve longer too!

Assuming that’s not an option though… the Tahoe still will get you the most reliability and best resale when you get sick of it. That explorer ST is probably fun to drive though, damn shame ford won’t stick a supercharged coyote in their “sporty” suv. At least with Tahoe you can opt for a 6.2L NA that will far outlive that ecoboost.

isu22andy

Be careful with the sunroof . Buddy’s old lady hit the wrong buttons on his . 2500 bucks for the track system just in parts .

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Ford SUVs are the only American SUVs I would consider buying.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Bells and whistles are added costs that are more likely to just cost more to repair as there are simply more points of failure. just my $.02

As far as the eco, just a turbo and sensors to fail and you dont have the advertised HP or torque unless you are in the RPMs.

However, I get so many things and my wife chooses not to so If mine said she wanted something it would happen even if I really didnt want it to…

Deuces

Thought you were around here long enough for that? ???

FG -Favorite girlfriend
    FW -Favorite wife
    FD -Favorite daughter
    Etc

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If it’s a newer (last couple years) I think you’ll be fine. I have one of the older ones, 2012, that is on a sedan frame. They are very nice to drive. HOWEVER, I’ve owned it for 5 years and I’ve been through 3 bearings, two exhausts, there is rust starting, cracked bearing mount (or some mount), and two snapped parking break cables.

It will be my last Ford. I’ll leave it at that.

jonb
    Fayette, Iowa

We acquired a 2022 ST last week! It is certainly fun to drive, no shortage of acceleration and power! The technology is amazing, just hope I don’t have to repair it too often. Mileage is better than I expected – we got 26 with highway driving – in town is a different story. It is averaging around 23 for the first week of driving. Certainly happy so far.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

They seem to hold up pretty good. Have not owned one, have driven a couple on test drives at work. The only thing that would concern me is the turbos. If the mileage is really low, and it has good oil change records, I wouldn’t be to worried. Make sure you change oil more often than it tells you to and if it were me I would run synthetic oil.

Turbos wouldnt deter me, Ford has been doing turbos on quite a few motors for 12yrs or so (since they started the Eco-boost badging)

There are always horror stories if you look for them but there are plenty of happy customers that may or may not post their happiness for others to see because “it works is it should”

That said I have no experience on either other vehicle mentioned by the OP so I cant give a comparison

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Just happened to see a you tube video last night where they took different cars parked them facing cement wall and then had a cement truck don’t know what speed but was fast come and smash them from the rear. Completely crumpled a lot of high end vehicles where there would be no chance of survival. The Ford explorer was one of the best for surviving the collusion and was super impressive, they rated 99.9% survival where a lot where rated 0%. Ford bronco came in near the 0%.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Turbos wouldnt deter me, Ford has been doing turbos on quite a few motors for 12yrs or so (since they started the Eco-boost badging)

I’m well aware how long they have been running them. Turbo’s do fail and ARE expensive, we have replaced several at my shop, so I think it’s worth mentioning and should be in his consideration. Like I said if the oil was serviced on time then I would be ok with it.

acarroline

Have a 2020 with the 4 cyl ecoboost. We love it, has been a great vehicle.

mnfisherman18

Wouldn’t be my top pick for reliability, but a hell of a lot more fun to drive than a Pilot or Highlander and definitely capable in the snow.

Sylvanboat

I have owned two Explorers. My first was a 2001 that was rear ended in 2015 with appx 212K miles on it. I replaced it with a 2015 Explorer that I still have with 125K miles on it. If and when I replace that I will get another Explorer. Great vehicle. I tow a 16 ft walleye boat and don’t even know it’s back there while driving. It carries just about everything I ever need it to.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The new explorer drives great. We almost bought one. But then the lady went with a different work suv.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I would also have no issues with the newer explorers. (have driven a 2021 a couple times with the same engine.) Especially if it makes the FW happy.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Interested in what you end up doing Bucky.

I’m in the market for a new SUV of similar size. I have totally written off GM and Chevy because of poor quality and ridiculous prices. I hadn’t even considered Ford until some friends of ours bought a new King ranch explorer. Really nice.

Let us know what you do.

MX1825

Interested in what you end up doing Bucky.

I’m in the market for a new SUV of similar size. I have totally written off GM and Chevy because of poor quality and ridiculous prices. I hadn’t even considered Ford until some friends of ours bought a new King ranch explorer. Really nice.

Let us know what you do.

All vehicles have ridiculous prices Grouse. If you want quality Toyota or Honda is the WTG.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

All vehicles have ridiculous prices Grouse. If you want quality Toyota or Honda is the WTG

X2

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Update:

It’s still sitting in the FW’s garage stall. I haven’t really asked anything else other than “…so is that officially yours?” And the only response I got was “I’m not sure yet.” Evidently she called up the salesman and said she wanted to drive it until Monday to make up her mind. I’ll take it for a cruise tomorrow to check it out more.

For the record, it’s definitely her vehicle and decision. She’s as independent as a human can be. All I do is provide my opinions when asked.

Sharon
    SE Metro

The best SUV is a Subaru in my opinion! mrgreen I have the Forester which is big enough for me and the dogs and all the crap I keep in my car (rubber boots, shoes, socks, hoodie, umbrella, parasol, towels, blanket, dog dish, leashes, poop bags, toilet paper, and an assortment of tools). The Subaru Ascent is bigger and has more towing capacity and I would have gotten that vs the Forester if I had kids to haul around.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Update:

The wife let it go and her Jeep Grand Cherokee is back home.

When I asked her what made her hold off on keeping it she said “I wasn’t crazy about the color. I’d rather have a black one.” …whatever makes her happy I guess

big_g
    Isle, MN

If your buying a camry or civic…. coffee

MX1825

bucky that is one thing about a used vehicle—-you don’t get to pick the color usually.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.