Opener Tactics for Gull Lake walleyes

• sorgy

I have a bit of a dilemma for the walleye opener this year. My nephew is getting married at Craygun’s this year. I normally open the season up on Lake Vermilion and do well. I have never fished the Brainerd lakes area around opener. I usually do a lot of shallow water trolling around opener with Rapala’s and some slip bobber fishing.
    I will be on the water very early 4:30 or 5 AM.
    What are some of the go to methods commonly used up there? Is there a good shallow trolling bite?

Thanks

Steve

patk
    Nisswa, MN

@sorgy

Are you still doing opener in Brainerd? A couple of us just finalized that we’ll be on Gull this weekend.

Common method – everyone seems to drown minnows with lindy rigs or jigs. It really seems like that is what well over 90% of what I see.

Is that the right tactic????? Maybe but I rarely see anyone doing anything different. When I talk to our neighbors it’s about hot or slow vs what presentation worked.

I’m torn on what to do. Jig/minnow will be an option. James is over on the General Forum talking about being more aggressive on wind loaded shallows.

Shallow troll could be an option but I worry about spooking them. Without some vegetation I don’t know if they’ll hold in those areas. Water clarity has been increasing.

sorgy

Sorry PatK- just found my messages.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.