Opener

• Rick Z
    Stark MN

Is coming soon! What is everyone doing?

Do you have a tradition? What method will you use?

I am lazy. I will go out sometime that day and pull some rapalas around for a while. I am not a go out at midnight or super early morning person.

Nothing special here

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We normally do Mille lacs and pull cranks in the shallows. Not sure this year. Maybe just hang around Chisago and do the same thing

toddrun

Mille Lacs was our tradition for 20+ years, until it was mis-managed. We have now moved to Big Sandy Lake, been there for quite a few years.

Pretty much a jig-n-minnow lake, for me anyways. Going to be shallow shallow shallow this year, my guess. Still some ice sheets in the bays as of this weekend. Then throw some lighted bobbers in the evening.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

dont have a big tradition but wish i did. the last few years ive been going up to richmond to fish with a friend who has a place on the chain. we’ve had some good luck and of course its always nice to have a campfire with beers and caseys pizza

P.S. just looked at the calendar and my boys first baseball tournament is the weekend of opener. what kind of MN organization schedules anything like that over fishing opener!!!!??? Looks like ill be missing opener this year

ganderpike
    Alexandria

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigfatcroixbaby wrote:</div>
    Lighted slipbobber and a leech.

I would be surprised if you can find leeches in 12 days.

Right now is prime leech trapping, fridges should be full by the weekend.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Right now is prime leech trapping, fridges should be full by the weekend.

I thought most leeches came from lakes in the northern portion of the state. Some of those lakes still have ice. And the ones that don’t are bitter cold still. I know that tournament anglers out at Big Stone couldn’t find any recently and were told they wouldn’t be available for an upcoming weekend tournament there.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Mille Lacs. Then Vermilion mid week for a few days.

-J.

Reef W

Vermilion, east end opening weekend then west end the next weekend.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Wisconsin opener this weekend. Im sure Ill wet a line between chores.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lots of ice out there this morning. But it’s 50 up here now

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Will be on a lake or 2 around home for opener. Maybe leeches on a rig or slip-bobber. Then heading to Cass the following Thursday. Jig/minnow or jig/plastic most likely. Can’t wait!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Heading to the cabin in Nevis, and hoping to get my 4 year old out for his first opener! No big tradition, used to be Mille Lacs at midnight, then Leech for a few years but nothing too official.

orve4

We usually do The Cass Lake area for opener if works allow and this year it does. Fish with mostly family will probably hit winnie or one of the lakes on the cass lake chain. The following weekend a group of friends head up Thursday for the weekend. We have fished Red in the past.

In the past on these late ice years bait can be hard to find and we usually try to stop on the way up. We use spot tail shiners.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Midnight trolling Mille Lacs shallow rocks, fill the live wells and head home before the DNR is out. lol

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

Big Sandy for us as well. Been doing that with the same core group of 6 guys give or take a few for the past 10 years.

Jig and a minnow when in the boat, slip bobber and minnow off the dock for the evening.

It’s never a great bite up there for opener and never any size on BS, but this one is about the experience.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Will be around St. Cloud. Take the kids out for a bit to chase trout and maybe hit the river or rice up for some eyes

CaptainMusky

A buddy was just out on Vermilion late last week and there was still over 22 inches of ice and it hadnt pulled away from shore at all yet.

CaptainMusky

Will be around St. Cloud. Take the kids out for a bit to chase trout and maybe hit the river or rice up for some eyes

FYI the river is VERY high right now. Not sure where you were planning to try but it could be still high then with the snow melt coming from up North and the rains we’ve had.

CaptainMusky

Heading to the cabin in Nevis, and hoping to get my 4 year old out for his first opener! No big tradition, used to be Mille Lacs at midnight, then Leech for a few years but nothing too official.

FYI a buddy has a cabin on Webb Lake which is not overly far from there and he said they have 25″ of solid ice last weekend. We have some work to do to get things going, but the weather looks much better.
    I havent gone out on the opener in quite a few years. We used to go on Gull and troll cranks in the channels and always did well, but it was just getting so dang busy it was a nightmare. Not sure if we will do anything, but if we do it will be likely to target crappies.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We will be up in Longville it has been just me and one buddy for a few years we used to have more going with. We will pull lindy with mostly minnows and soak some leeches in the evening. If wind is right maybe do some jigging. I am going to try to make a shallow pattern work with swimbaits or pitching jigs with plastics this year. Can’t friken wait!

Reef W

uddy was just out on Vermilion late last week and there was still over 22 inches of ice and it hadnt pulled away from shore at all yet.

The rules just say “You may use two lines through the ice” and nothing about seasons… shock

Vermilion historic ice outs attached. If it’s not out at least I can get a picture of a historic event.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220423-212702_Firefox.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    uddy was just out on Vermilion late last week and there was still over 22 inches of ice and it hadnt pulled away from shore at all yet.

The rules just say “You may use two lines through the ice” and nothing about seasons… shock

By looking at it this morning, I could have drove out

BigWerm
    SW Metro

FYI a buddy has a cabin on Webb Lake which is not overly far from there and he said they have 25″ of solid ice last weekend. We have some work to do to get things going, but the weather looks much better.

Yeah, my parents live there so I get updates whenever, sounds like Belle Taine ice is getting real dark. A lot of lakes in the area have rivers going thru, so there should be plenty of places, and with the forecast next week I think it will be pretty well open all over. It’s going to be well above freezing from now until opener 24 hours a day.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, my parents live there so I get updates whenever, sounds like Belle Taine ice is getting real dark. A lot of lakes in the area have rivers going thru, so there should be plenty of places, and with the forecast next week I think it will be pretty well open all over. It’s going to be well above freezing from now until opener 24 hours a day.

Cool! Hope it works out. I just looked at the satellite image from today and the ice is getting very dark on lakes in the Brainerd to Pine River area. It can happen real quick with some sun finally.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Rum River for this guy grin

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Being a river guy, I have no tradition. I generally circle that weekend to start really patterning post-spawn eyes on the river with less traffic than usual.

I am jealous for those who have a group tradition and go enjoy the camaraderie of opener. Don’t forget to pack your patience, PFD, and plenty of beverages for afterwards. Enjoy…it’s been a long Winter for many.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t a have tradition but my wife is taking the girls to FL with her mother opening weekend so I will be fishing non stop all weekend. Bass during the day, catfish at night.

Maybe this is the tradition I need to start! mrgreen

big_g
    Isle, MN

Will probably hit Mille Lacs, get my one slot and stink up the pan. whistling yay smash peace

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.