Open water river eyes

• Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

After a long, cold winter, I was finally able to drag the boat out to the river this weekend. With a forecast in the 70’s, it was a prefect weekend to dust off the cobwebs and get everything organized and running.

Saturday morning found me working on getting the boat ready. I charged all the batteries Friday night, so basically I had to put all the pieces back together. I didn’t get on the road till probably 10am from Aberdeen and I didn’t get to Chamberlain until 1 or so. Cedar Shore’s marina was still iced-in leaving only 2 usable ramps in town, American Creek Marina and American Creek campground. We opted for the marina due to the breezy conditions. The ramp was very, very busy and parking was difficult at best.

We got the boat in the water by about 2:30 and spent the next hour or two, just cruising around trying to burn up some of last years fuel. We motored up to Fort Thompson which is about a half hour boat ride. We fished up there for a couple hours before calling it a day. We vertical jigged breaks and ledges in the 15-20′ range and found a good amount of fish in the area. After sorting through many short fish, we were able to box fish in the 15-20″ range. It felt good to jig up some walleyes, that’s for sure!

Sunday found us on the water by 8am. The ramp was busy as heck again. We ran back up to the dam to check on our spots from Saturday. Luckily they hadn’t gone anywhere. The bite stayed pretty consistent until about noon when the wind died. Once it became glass calm, we decided to call it a day and get an early start on the road home.

We used VMC Hammerhead jigs in 3/8 oz UV Pink/White tipped with a large fathead and a single-hook stinger. Treble hook stingers seemed to drag up too much mossy junk from the bottom (seems like a lot of it this year).

It was a great first trip out, albeit short. Next weekend I’ll be back out there with everything ready to roll. Remember, walleyes on Lake Francis Case need to be 15″ minimum to keep, and only one fish daily over 20″ per person.

Andy

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Nice report…. getting the boat out for the first time after ice goes away is always a special time. Congrats on finding some fish at the same time.

nblasius
    SE South Dakota

Hey Andy, I ran into you on Saturday when you got to town. It looks like you got into them! We ended up with six. Had to sort a lot of small ones. You missed the excitement at cedar shore, someone tried to launch their boat in the landing there. He got hung up on that ice and was down there for over an hour. People on shore were taking pictures on their phones. That ice was a little thicker than the guy thought I suppose. Well, any ways nice to meet you and maybe will see you around in the future…good luck on you’re next trip out. waytogo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.