open sights for muzzleloader

• beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I have a CVA optima v2 with fiber optic sights. Rear sight is green while front is orange. I’ve never liked the orange as it is not very visible in low light conditions. I some how cracked the front sight giving me reason to finally replace it. Are there any sights that are recommended or to stay away from? Lots of options and some are crazy expensive.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Does your CVA have the older plastic sights or metal sights? At one point in time CVA used to use the plastic sights and upgraded to metal ones and a quick phone call to them got you the upgraded metal ones for free if you did not have them. The plastic front sights would break at the hold down screw.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Go peep sight and never look back. My experience with open sights on my TC Encore and my CVA are not good. Big fiber optics fuzzy as I try to lock-in, and precision is hampered. I shoot pretty well with my Encore now after putting a Williams peep on it.

Joel

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I don’t know if you can use scopes on a muzz in mn but I have a 1x scope you can have, I used it one season in Wi then they allowed us to have magnified scopes

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Joel,

Which model peep did you put on there? Did you have to have any gumsmithing done to make it work?

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Go peep sight and never look back. My experience with open sights on my TC Encore and my CVA are not good. Big fiber optics fuzzy as I try to lock-in, and precision is hampered. I shoot pretty well with my Encore now after putting a Williams peep on it.

Joel

X2 waytogo

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

at least 20 years ago, 1x scopes and red dots were legal. i used them very successfully then. The problem with irons and peeps is old eyes that have difficulty focusing quick enuf to make them usable. when i was a kid, i loved my peeps on my first squirrel gun. but as my eyes stared changing in my 40s i had to go to scopes. never looked back.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If your blind, little will help as Stu says. If you can’t focus, peep or iron open sights, both require focusing on near and far. I am finding this out as my Muzzy was a little difficult to pull up quickly this fall… I tried my buddies with a peep, same issue. Funny thing though, my peep on my bow I see little change from years past ??? ???

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

it’s because you don’t have to focus on the rear peep, just put your eye there. it’s the same on a rifle peep, but it’s a bit further out, so you do have to focus on it…

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Joel

Joel, what particular peep did you use? While looking at the William’s site, I did not come across specific muzzleloader peeps.

I don’t know if you can use scopes on a muzz in mn but I have a 1x scope you can have, I used it one season in Wi then they allowed us to have magnified scopes

Thanks for the offer but we cannot use them during muzzleloader season!

http://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/increased-accuracy-from-an-open-sight-muzzleloader

This was a ton of help! Thanks everyone! My search continues

Peter Johnson

I’ve recently purchased ATN ThOR-336 1.5-6X thermal rifle scope, this one:
    ATN ThOR-336 1.5-6X
    It isn’t a cheap gear, but is totally worthy every single dollar I paid for it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.