Only 16 HOURS til the Criox Sturgeon Opener gang

• mr-special
    MPLS

Not sure if i’ll make it out for opener cz i have a cattin contest that day aswell but kinda dont wanna break tradition either
    or at least thats wat imma tell the better half, so i can pretty much fish all day/nite lol

tobe honest, the fishing gets better later in the season. esp when there are less pleasure cruiser running around but its still fishing and ya cant get them sitting on the couch eh

most cattin gear will do and probably one of the simplest forms of fishing there is. sinker 1/2-3oz depending on wind/current, heavy swivel, 12-24″ leader finish it off with 4/0-8/0 circle hooks.
    for bait, a glob of crawlers, a few fatheads stacked on a hook, cut suckers, shrimp or shad “if u can find some is probably best IMO”.
    find a like spot, drop anchors and and toss out lines.
    its a short season and probably your best chance at catching a fish over 100+lbs in MN except for sturggies on the Rainy.

here a few pix from over the yrs to get the blood flowing

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What makes a likely spot? I know the river but don’t now exactly what types of area or depth holds sturgeon. Thanks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Neck down areas or better yet finding small deeper area in a large bowl that’s the same depth. Pretty much anywhere around the King Power Plant is a good starting point.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m getting wound, but not wound tight…yet!

mr-special
    MPLS

Neck down areas or better yet finding small deeper area in a large bowl that’s the same depth. Pretty much anywhere around the King Power Plant is a good starting point.

+1

nowadays with electronics like map chip, navionics, Dwn-imaging, SI has definitely helped find locations such as those. points and insides turns can be good as well.

the Kings Power Plant in Bayport is pretty much a community spot, as BK said a good starting point. normally i fish in the 20-30fow but have caught them as shallow as 8′.
    being on the criox u can have 2rods a person or even 3 if on the WI side. i usually have atleast another person in the boat with me ‘helps with positioning the boat esp when running 2 big ole anchors” and we can have rods spread out in shallow, mid and deep water then let the fish tell us where they are.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hoping to get out more than once this year. My girlfriend is asking to go along this year, and it would be awesome to see a big sturgeon put the fear of god into her.

As long as she doesn’t just drop the rod..

mr-special
    MPLS

Hoping to get out more than once this year. My girlfriend is asking to go along this year, and it would be awesome to see a big sturgeon put the fear of god into her.

As long as she doesn’t just drop the rod..

i hear ya there lol.
    i tell every guess no matters wat happens u DO NOT let go of the rod. if u go over board i have a throw-able handy for you lol

8′ Kingkat MH being wrked like a freight train

9′ ThunderStik MH salmon rod gettin its butt kick

dbright
    Cambridge

I can’t wait to get out. I missed most of last season because of working out of state.

rschmidty

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean when you say “neck down area?”

Also, I have done the whole Rainy River sturgeon fishing trips several times and have had decent success. On the St. Croix however, I haven’t been able to get off the schnide. I have fished in the community hole, found holes in the bowls as BK put it, and tried shallow to deep. Is there something I’m missing on the St. Croix?

I usually use crawlers with some fatheads mixed in, the times I’ve gone I have only needed about 2 oz. Leader length has been around 9-13 inches. I saw as much as 24 inches mentioned above. Could this be a factor.

Any help or clarification is greatly appreciated, since the St. Croix is so close.

mr-special
    MPLS

BK cn probably explain Neck dwn area better but I’ll try my best.
    To me a neck dwn area could b any area that will funnel fish through. Ex: could be an area between 2 points or under water humps or the tip of a wing dam

Most of time time on te criox 1-2 oz is all y’all need even half will wrk. As for leader length most times I like 18-24″ cz if the leader is to short the weight might drag it into the muck and hide the bait.
    Another thing to consider is boat control. I usually run 2 anchors front n rear to hold the boat steady as possibly cz those sturggies have very soft bites even them bigguns tap like sunnies most of the time. That’s where having a rod w a softer tip will help detect bites but it also have to have enought backbone for the fight.

Hope this helps if not we’ll meet on the water and go from there.
    All I charge is beers lol

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I run leaders on the croix up to 30″ but generally 16″.
    Weights, i tend to run vertical lines the majority of the time and i’ll use between 1/4oz and 1oz.

Casting away from the boat i want to make sure i have ZERO boat sway/swing. Then, i’ll run a heavier weight 3-5oz range and a longer leader to keep it out of the mud.

I’ve always struggled more earlier in the year than later. Could be because by the time october comes around i’ve already patterned them, or they’re just more apt to bite.

Shad is like crack cocaine for sturgeon, though i always have worms in the boat, and often fatheads too. Suckers can be caught throughout the river system and shouldn’t be overlooked for bait.
    Going to give frogs and crawfish a try this year too.

I put bells on my rods to help ID a bite. Keep your lines TIGHT!!!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I noticed last year when fishing deeper water I was getting lots of leaders tangled up. My theory is that it is no-roll sinkers fluttering as they sink. How do you guys avoid this? Do you use a different type of sinker?

mr-special
    MPLS

I quit usin no-rolls for that reasons yrs ago. I think their shape makes them helicopter on the at dwn in deep water. Using bank or bell sinker has help reduce line twist a lot but still happens every now n then. keepin ur line tight on the drop helps aswell.
    Last yr I try different presentations w decent success such as 3ways n dropshot

Crawler/fat heads aka #2 combo is hard to beat but shads is the best like Andy said.

Lately I’ve been runnin 6/0-8/0 circles cz I can pack more bait. Many times I’ve got a shad crawler n sum fatheads on a hook. I call it the Mundo combo. Lol

Andy save the frogs for Lockport and the crawfish for foods D

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I noticed last year when fishing deeper water I was getting lots of leaders tangled up. My theory is that it is no-roll sinkers fluttering as they sink. How do you guys avoid this? Do you use a different type of sinker?

WHat’s most likely happening is as the boat rocks, the rod jerks, when the rod jerks, there’s opportunity for a tangle.

The other thing that can be happening, and the more likely of the two, is your tangeling while dropping your bait to the bottom. WHen i run vertical, i make a small 10′ cast and then slowly allow the bait to drop, instead of freespooling.

I only run inline weights (Weights that the line goes through) when running vertical and 1/4-3/4oz. Otherwise, i use a snap/swivel above the leader swivel and attach weight to the snap.

Keep your rods from bouncing by anchoring better and placing them in a location where they get the least amount of movement when the boat rocks. I’ve got this down to a science and don’t mind fishing in 40mph wind or next to heavy traffic.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Nothing to add with those tips!

I’ll just say it differently.

When I’m using a no roll, I’ll “follow” the line down with the rod tip. This keeps the line tight between the sinker and the rod and the bait is pretty much straight up from the sinker.

Seldom will I have trouble with line tangles.

I’m a fan of sucker slices in the fall, but there’s many that use crawlers and fatheads with great success.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

To the question on neck down areas, another easy way to picture them are the no-wake zones. Hudson, Afton, Kinni. River goes from being very wide to rather narrow in those areas, ie a neck down area.

Great tips on here and I need to implement a few of them. I’ve had the same setup for 5 years, 3 oz no roll, swivel, leader, hook and it works under the right conditions.

I’m interested in the vertical presentation, especially when windy or around boat waves. Do you find the fish getting into your anchor ropes or other lines when fishing vertical? Or do you forgo the anchors and just drift with wind/current? I’d like to here more on this!

TIA,

Eric

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I think people tend to over think the location thing. I’ve caught them everywhere on the croix from 10’ to 40’ deep. One of our very best spots was a simple random “let’s try here, toss the anchor” thing. No rhyme or reason whatsoever and low and behold we caught something like 77 fish that night (several over 50”). I tend to think you will have more luck trying to locate a school of fish and fishing in that general vicinity rather than trying to decipher structural patterns of the river and getting set up on the spot on the spot. I’ve seen guys motor back and forth and back and forth round and round trying to anchor perfectly on a breakline, meanwhile all the boats around them are catching fish. I would recommend instead to use your sonar to either find pods of bait (shad) or pods of fish. Both are key to getting bit. Sometimes you don’t need your sonar at all and its as simple as seeing the fish jumping out of the water and just fishing right there. HA

Oh and yes ditch those no rolls. IMO, they are one of the most overrated pieces of gear in the sport. I don’t know where the fad started, but I fell for it too and even recommended them myself. But, spend enough time on the water and you will easily find several disadvantages to using them. Sure you can make em work, but why when there are better alternatives? I say melting those no rolls into bank, flat bank, or pyramid shape will solve a lot of your problems. Still keep in mind that it helps a lot to keep a tight line while the rig is sinking, its just that some sinkers helicopter more than others.

I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is using too heavy of a sinker. You don’t want it dragging around, but you also don’t want it buried in the silt. Do a search on YT and watch videos of Sturgeon eating. They suck and blow. LOL That is the tap tap tap you see on the rod, if they are not happy with what they feel (excess pressure from a sinker or waves pulling on the line, foreign materials, bad taste,etc) they will blow it out and move on. If however they like it, they will keep it in their mouth and swim away. These are the no brainer rod doubled over type bites. Most everyone can catch these fish, grab the rod and start reeling, but those fish you hook up with while they are tasting it and before they blow it out can make the difference between a 2 fish night and a 20 fish night. Bite detection is crucial in putting numbers of fish in the boat. It’s fairly easy to catch those few no brainer fish, but when conditions are worse you have to adapt. This why a lot of us prefer calm still nights and also why the guy holding the rod straight vertical during windy days will out fish everyone else.

On a side note, I’ve seen some guys do very well on the Croix just tossing out a 1oz jig with a piece of meat on it or even using a drop shot type setup (bait above the sinker). I’ve seen sturgeon caught on Barbie poles, fly rods, and slip bobbers. When you get on em out there it’s a lot of fun to experiment and you might be surprised as to some non traditional tactics that will work well (obviously not the Barbie pole, that was more irresponsible than anything). However, one day I watched a guy put a smackdown on the fish with a super long fly rod off the back off the boat straight down. It was super windy and the noodly pole just absorbed every wave. He would simply watch the rhythm of the rod tip like a hawk and as soon as that rhythm was broken by a single tap he would grab the rod and set the hook. I think he caught like 30 fish himself that day.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m interested in the vertical presentation, especially when windy or around boat waves. Do you find the fish getting into your anchor ropes or other lines when fishing vertical? Or do you forgo the anchors and just drift with wind/current?

Anchor out the front and anchor out the back like Phil mentioned above. I like to add a bungee to each anchor where it attaches to the boat to absorb big boat wakes rather than yank the anchor loose as the boat rises and jerks on the rope.

I keep both anchors about 45 degrees from the boat, so they’re far enough away, and i use heavier gear than most and horse em in. Anchor ropes are SNUG TIGHT and allow for little movement of the boat, bungees allow for controlled up and down movement with the waves/wakes. Under certain conditions i’ll run the anchors nearly vertical. Bow of the boat facing into the waves (Sometimes the waves from the wind aren’t as big as the traffic waves, i point it in the direction of the larger)

Small amount of weight, not quite laying on the bottom. Longer leader so when the boat does rock some i am not jerking my bait around. Bells on the rods allow me to run 3 lines and hear the tap tap tap. Use a different type of bell on each rod or you’ll be looking at each rod wondering which one just got hit!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

So close I can smell it!

MMMMM Sturgeon!

Attachments:
    1. 218999_10151196578698322_1537460170_o.jpg

2. 1176157_10151950364788322_1756049957_n.jpg

3. 325665_10151208182308322_1868496644_o.jpg

mr-special
    MPLS

thats just the sahd from last yr ur smelling bro. i swear that smell nvr goes away lol

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Do a search on YT and watch videos of Sturgeon eating. They suck and blow

Has anyone tried hair rigs for sturgeon? Seems like it would be effective, much like suckers. I experimented since spring with the rigs and my hookup %’s is easily around 90%.

mr-special
    MPLS

wat size hooks do u use on the hair rigs? arent the hooks usually smaller and lighter hooks on hair rigs, so the fish can suck it into their mouths?

it could wrk cz they do swim around and suck food off of the bottom, but i wouldnt recommend using a hook smaller then 4/0 for sturggies.
    i personally run 6/0-8/0 C-hooks

how far apart is the bait from the hook?

lhprop1
    Eagan

In the other sturgeon thread, some guys were discussing hanging an 1/8 oz jig off their line to help detect bites. Can someone please elaborate on that? I can’t quite picture what you’re doing.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

wat size hooks do u use on the hair rigs? arent the hooks usually smaller and lighter hooks on hair rigs, so the fish can suck it into their mouths?

it could wrk cz they do swim around and suck food off of the bottom, but i wouldnt recommend using a hook smaller then 4/0 for sturggies.
    i personally run 6/0-8/0 C-hooks

how far apart is the bait from the hook?

For suckers mind you, #6 Owner mosquito hook, it’s a thin wire and if I were to guess that’s key, with its shank just a tad bit longer than your octopus. No idea what to use for sturgeon, just saw some YT vids and I know my sucker game is unbeatable, studied those Euro freaks on their carp fishing and if anyone in the world would perfect a way to catch a sucker its those guys. Can’t say they were wrong, if a sucker is sucking in, its getting hooked.

The force I observe with them sucking and blowing, giggity,I would assume they’d have no problems with a 4-10/0 hook. Like I said have no idea, just an outsider looking in.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

In the other sturgeon thread, some guys were discussing hanging an 1/8 oz jig off their line to help detect bites. Can someone please elaborate on that? I can’t quite picture what you’re doing.

Basically you just hang a jig by the hook on the line between your reel and first eye of your rod. This will take up slack in your line when your boat rocks or sways in the wind.

It takes a little getting used to to be able to detect bites but it works great for me. Just remove the jig when you see a bite.

I’ll try and get a picture at some point.

lhprop1
    Eagan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lhprop1 wrote:</div>

Basically you just hang a jig by the hook on the line between your reel and first eye of your rod. This will take up slack in your line when your boat rocks or sways in the wind.

It takes a little getting used to to be able to detect bites but it works great for me. Just remove the jig when you see a bite.

I’ll try and get a picture at some point.

Interesting. So do you still watch the rod tip or do you watch the slack line/jig?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You still watch the rod tip. I use 3/8 oz jigs for this. The weight is needed to overcome the weight of the line from your rod tip to the water and any slight current there may be. I think you could even use 1/2 if needed.

I have found that this does not work that well with mono though. For some reason when the jig slips on the mono much differently, you cant tell a bite from movement.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Here’s how i attach bungees to my boat. Typically i attach to front winch eyelet – but that would be impossible for you to see.

I anchored on the windy side in a busy channel sunday afternoon close to a rocky shoreline with a windshield boat and no-concerns of anchor slip. Waves 2-3′ and frequent Big waves D
    I maybe 35′ of line in 20 FOW. 30# anchor and a bungee- keeps you anchored.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20140830_154414_681.jpg

mr-special
    MPLS

thats pretty nifty bud
    i have 4′ of have chain which seems to help but adds weight to my mundo anchors already.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.