One man flip over that fits under tonneau cover

• mrpike1973

May need to look for a one man this year have an old style Clam legend now. All of clams gear says 24 inches high truck measures 22.5 inches. Eskimo says 18 inches high. Nothing about if seat can come out or down. Eskimo would work not a fan of Clam. Otter to heavy. Have a Eskimo Sierra. Maybe take a seat out and use as a one man? Eskimo states fits under tonneau cover but the one I want the Xl wide cannot see in stores. The thought of using the Sierra as a one man may work but it would add around 15 pounds more and weight is an issue for me but do use a Smitty sled. Was going to just buy the tent for the Clam but the poles and hardware are about shot. Boy are the prices crazy on fish houses. Do any of you use 2 mans for one mans pluses and minuses?

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I took my seat out as well as the rail and hardware.

Replaced it with a folding camp chair which I fold up when i’m done and put it in the bottom of the tub.

saved on weight and lowered the profile to be able to slip it under the tonneau cover with room to spare.

I would consider doing the same with your Sierra

Ripjiggen

Have a newer legend thermal. Seat has to come out to fit under cover not a big deal for me. Love the width and weight of the legend for solo early ice. Can’t stand a typical narrow one man.
    Not a great time to be looking for a deal and like everything else yes they are pricey.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m quite positive that my otter cottage fits under my tonneau.

Weighs 82 lbs. Prop up one side on the tailgate, lift the bottom up and at the same time push forward sliding into the bed. I’m not a big guy and this is an easy operation

The otter cottage is the Taj mahal of one man portables. Very spacious and comfortable. Can fish 2 in a pinch as well

Dan Baker

I have an Otter Cabin, and have to take the seats off and store them at the bottom of the tub. After that, it fits.

picklerick
    Central WI

I had the Nanook thermal 2 man. It fit under my tonneau cover in my short bed Tundra. It was tight for two people, but it should be great for a one man. Maybe heavier than you’re looking for.

AK Guy

I detached my bench seat from my Otter in order to fit it in under a tonneau cover.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Nanook thermal 2 man. It fit under my tonneau cover in my short bed Tundra. It was tight for two people, but it should be great for a one man.

This is a great 1 man house, and it fits under a tonneau. It does push on it due to some 2″ Red Green hyfax I put on it, so I keep the Clam seats loose and lay them down so there’s plenty of room, and also allows more space in the tub for hauling gear that way. And if you only need one seat it would be even better and lighter.

mrpike1973

Thanks everyone! Considering most ice fisherman use trucks in some form. Wouldn’t you think manufactures would go GEE! I bet guys would like to put our overpriced $900 fish house under a cover to protect it keep it safe? After hauling their lead sled a quarter mile the last thing I want to do is mess with seats with pins etc. just so it fits. Drives me nuts but Eskimo seems to have figured it out. I went in and out at a retailer one time trying to measure my truck box height and the fish house heaven forbid you try it it was so close but wasn’t going to pay $500 for an oops. A long time ago Hence the price. I’ll get off the soap box now pay attention to your customer needs manufactures!

AnotherFisherman

I can’t recall the name of my Clam. But I do know it is NOT the Kenai Pro. Mine has the shorter (height) sled and just flips right over for easy setup. Fits under my tonneau just fine. Although fishing in it get’s uncomfortable as the space is pretty tight for a tall guy.

Deuces

Can get tight hauling gear in a one man. Sierra is the ultimate one man and u already have it, I’d keep up on waxing the smitty skis. 15# isn’t worth $500 to me. Ymmv

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Can get tight hauling gear in a one man. Sierra is the ultimate one man and u already have it, I’d keep up on waxing the smitty skis. 15# isn’t worth $500 to me. Ymmv

Agreed

bigcrappie
    Blaine

My Otter Cabin with a bench seat fits under my cover on a 2015 F-150.

mrpike1973

Thinking I’ll use my Clam till it falls apart. Then use the Sierra I really like that house. Cannot fathom buying another Clam with sewn in windows to break again do like the Clams versatility but the black interior as I’m getting older harder to tie knots whistling And for the price tag ouch.

mrpike1973

Well I took down the ole Clam the window disintegrated over the summer the Eskimo it is. I must say babied that clam had it since 2014 I’ll miss it. I fish with my bride more now days so my alone trips are less but doable with the Eskimo.Thanks for all the advice. Was at Scheels today for the prices I was not impressed with clam in any way. They had a Eskimo 2000 that was nice but 2 people and the bench seat was just too cramped.

CaptainMusky

I know a lot of people think of toppers as a grandpa truck, but since I got one I will never own a truck without one. I dont ever have to worry about my gear fitting in there, plus I can lock all windows so its way more secure than a tonneau where they could just slice the vinyl. I suppose if you throw a wheeler in the bed from time to time that would be an issue but that is about it. Theyre not cheap however so tonneaus are very nice in that regard.

Jay Johnson
    Morrison, IL

I just bought a new-to-me 2017 Ram 1500 with a 3-section tonneau cover. Last year I mounted stadium seats in my Shappell Bay Runner. I had to remove the seats to get the shanty to fit in the bed of my truck. I also had to shorten my Smitty Sled skis by a foot to get those to fit. But the Bay Runner does fit under my cover.

maddogg

Eskimo Wide 1™ Thermal will fit under a tonneau cover.

tswoboda

I know a lot of people think of toppers as a grandpa truck, but since I got one I will never own a truck without one.

Grandpas are wise men… which is ironic because my dad absolutely refuses to get a topper and he spent a couple hours at Clam HQ this fall trying (and failing) to fit every one of their small flipovers under his tonneau cover jester

Henpecked

Didn’t see them mentioned yet, but you might check out the Ice Runner houses. Easily fit under a tonneau with room to spare.

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

The Sierra should already fit right? I just bought one for that reason. Going to put my Jason Mitchell up for sale.

mrpike1973

Sierra fits like a glove. Hope Clam sells less this year. My Clam XL did not fit good and always had to take the seat out.

ekruger01

I can confirm the wide one inferno, wide one xr, sierra, eskape 2400, and eskape 2600. Can all fit under my cover on my tundra, alond with the otter cottage. (crew max, short box)

I change up my shacks quite a bit.

Andy Fischer

My Otter XT Hideout fits under the cover on my ’19 Silverado.

Bassn Dan

Have a newer legend thermal. Seat has to come out to fit under cover not a big deal for me. Love the width and weight of the legend for solo early ice. Can’t stand a typical narrow one man.
    Not a great time to be looking for a deal and like everything else yes they are pricey.

Looking at the Legend XT for a light to pull shelter that is big enough for me at 6’4 that I don’t feel like I’m wrapped in a tortilla. How much of a hassle is taking the seat out for it to fit under a truck cover?

Beast

I think just about any eskimo will fit, I have a eskimo 2600 that fits under on my ford. They came out with a one man side step they call the escape 1000 this year, it may be worth a look

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

My Otter Cottage fits under my GMCs folding tonneau cover. And I have the Hyfax kit on it.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I think just about any eskimo will fit, I have a eskimo 2600 that fits under on my ford. They came out with a one man side step they call the escape 1000 this year, it may be worth a look

Eskimo page shows no Escape 1000 . They do have a Escape 2000 new for this year ?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.