? on spearing from a portable hub style shelter.

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I was wondering if It will work to set up my hub style shelter as a darkhouse to spear from? I really need something totally portable. I’m pretty sure the hub itself will be dark enough (haven’t had it out on the ice yet) as the fabric is black and the windows close up very well. My biggest concern is the floor. Will I need something for a floor? It seems like the bare ice might be hard on the eyes and distract from viewing down into the water.

Anybody want to chime in and give me their thoughts or prior experience? Thanks.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Pick up some of those interlocking foam gym floor mats. They are cheap and pack up nice.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’m a hard core spear chucker but I can’t help with a hub style shelter. I use a collapsible. Sorry.

Timmy

Wear some sort of cleats. It gets slippery, but that’s the only issue. We do it often.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Wear some sort of cleats. It gets slippery, but that’s the only issue. We do it often.

Yes, I am almost always wearing cleats, but here would be a prime time for them.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks Guys, for the feed back. I may start without anything except cleats and see how it goes. I had thought of the foam mats. I use an Army sleeping mat under my feet in my flip-over while angling.

I don’t expect to become a hard core spear chucker, (can’t do it except rough fish back home). Just might set up once or twice a year just for something different.

Rodger Anderson

I have been using duck canvas tarps in my portable spear houses for years. They work great. Water repellent and do not absorb much water. They are easily peeled off the ice even when froze down without ripping. Get mine at Fleetfarm. They have a variety of sizes to fit your need.

David Blais

We use the otter cabin hubs, and make a folding floor out of wood. 1/2 plywood and 2x2s. Keeps your gear and feet dry, plus it holds in more heat

David Blais

No floor

Attachments:
    1. 20181202_105559.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks again for the feed back. Nice picture too. I watched my friend miss one yesterday in his permy spear shack. I could see the Northern “staging” just prior to lunging at the tethered chub. I think my friend kind of got buck fever, over reacted and missed. I’ve watched many videos trying to get a handle on procedure and such but nothing like observing the real thing, to teach a guy a thing or two.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Pick up some of those interlocking foam gym floor mats. They are cheap and pack up nice.

X2

I don’t spear but I use them while ice fishing in my hub. They are also nice for insulating your feet from the ice— makes a difference, especially if you’re sitting for extended periods of time.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I suggest making it as dark as you can, possibly wrap blankets, canvas or dark tarp over your shack if need be.

404 ERROR
    MN

A floor is nice, but not totally necessary. I’ve been spearing from a Shappell hub for a few years and it works great. I have an old carpet scrap I lay down in front of the hole to keep my chair in one spot when it gets slick but it also cuts some of the glare off too. Can’t say the Pike ever complain about my setup!

I’ve actually speared out of my Clam Kenai with a blanket over it before. it worked, but not well enough to really recommend it unless the area you’re accessing requires it…

Mike Post

I picked these mats up at Walmart. I use them in my Shappell portable. The nice thing is they do interlock and you can piece them together to the shape you need. They are very light weight and easy to transport.

mike e

Tried spearing once with my then new Clam Command Post. We could see clear as day, not sure if the fish(which weren’t anywhere in sight) could see us. Almost fell in because high winds knocked the roof down hard, driving the 1/4 inch eye bolt at center in to my skull. Spent the rest of the time sitting down drinking beer and putting a long lasting red spot on the palm of my leather mitten.

Seems some of the newer hubs(like my Fatfish 6120i) have a bit lower ceilings which could be one problem. Better for less area to heat though..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.