On-board charger issue

• tim hurley

So I have one of those built in plug in chargers-Has worked well, plug it in and the light is orange, when fully charged its green.
    Was out yesterday for about 6hrs. plugged it in and it was green right away, usually takes at least an hour, so I left it pluged in for about 5 hours thinking that the sensor is just not working-what do you think? Are those battery level lights on trolling motors accurate?
    Thanks

Ripjiggen

I go by lights on charger…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Make sure the charger has a good connection to the battery otherwise it’ll be green. One of my wires came loose on my 2nd battery showing green immediately, the next day on the lake my batteries lasted a couple hours instead of all day. Re crimped my wiring and plugged it in and both banks were red and charging. Not sure how my crimp to the batter came loose but it did.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Measure the battery voltage with the charger off, then with it on. The voltage should read at least 1v higher when plugin in, if it reads the same you need to check inline fuse or connections.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m sure you did, but it can’t me mentioned enough.

Check the water levels.

amlavold
    Wisconsin

I’ll piggyback on this thread. I recently bought a new (to me) boat that came with a Pro Charging Systems 3 bank charger. A few minutes after plugging in, 2 of the banks light up green but the 3rd flashes red. Per the manual “This indicates that the internal temperature of the charger reached a level that was beyond the acceptable operating temperature and the charger shut itself down for protection purposes. This will reset when the a/c power is removed.”

Questions/comments:
    1. It does not reset when the power is removed.
    2. If the internal temp of the charger is beyond acceptable range, why am I getting this on just one of the banks.
    3. Could it be an issue with the battery or connection?
    4. How should I go about troubleshooting?

I appreciate your feedback. It came on a 2014 Lund and is branded Lund so assuming it’s 10 years old too.

Thanks

amlavold
    Wisconsin

Found a different message on their FAQ page stating that 2 blinking red lights could be a sign of battery problem. I’ll start there for now.

tim hurley

Thanks all-Brian, actually wanted to check the water right at the store and the dude said opening it would invalidate the warranty.

mojogunter

Change the charger banks around. If the error follows the battery you know it is bad. If it follows the bank on the charger then it is the charger.

Found a different message on their FAQ page stating that 2 blinking red lights could be a sign of battery problem. I’ll start there for now.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Battery water level?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.