West Okoboji Gills and Pike 1/3/09

• shaley
    Milford IA

Hit the honey hole again today with my partner Trav. Weather wasm’t the greatest and neither was the bite. Had lots of lookers but took alot to get most to commit. Morning bite was best and as the weather got worse so did the bite. 2 problem pike didn’t help matters either. It took sus 2 hours to finaly get the 6 pounder to eat, the 2nd only about a 1/2 hour, she went 8 pounds. Ended the day with 17 gills for a meal or 2 and the 2 pike, released about17 gills for future meals.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You’ve been having a good ice season. Thanks for the reports and photos.

Did you get those toothies on tip ups or jigging?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

nice fish buddy! we need to hook up this year on the ice!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Looks like a good day!
    Ever hook any of those Okoboji skis through the ice Shaley?

shaley
    Milford IA

No skies yet for me through the ice. We can’t target them due to season being closed during the winter. I have had a few close calls though, 1 tried taking the wifes Aqua Vu another tried eating a gill I was reeling up. The one on the gill hit right at the bottom of the hole and scared the crap out of me. I chase the skies during open water pretty much exclusivly anymore. Winter times for fun and relaxation and getting some fish for the fryer.

It is a rush though when you see a 50″ swim under you when your jigging for pannies.

shaley
    Milford IA

James, both were caught on buckshot spoons with a shiner on walleye set ups. #4-#6 line no leaders on ml action rods.

Luke, would be great to hook up somday to ice a few although I’m not sure I’m anywhere near your guys level of fishing.

igotone

Nice bunch of fish again there, shaley

Anymore luck in anglers bay on big spirit?

shaley
    Milford IA

Perch bites on at Anglers if you don’t mind the crowd and small fish. I hear it takes alot of sorting to find a few 10″ keepers. Tons of 3-8″ though. To crowded for my taste I’m staying on West.

benihana
    Central MN

Hey Shaley, those are some nice fish you got there…. We ended up trying to catch one cruising around by us up on anglers yesterday, never did get him to bite. If you don’t mind where at on west would you suggest to find a decent bite? I too am starting to wear thin on the crowds, i think yesterdays bite or lack there of after noon says maybe anglers is starting to feel the pressure. I mean they almost completely vanished around noon and we saw maybe 10 from then til 2:30 and they were moving through pretty fast, but we did get a couple to stop and bite. Would like to get into a mess of gills like you guys have found.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Nice mess of gills Shaley!

shaley
    Milford IA

Find holes in standing weeds, fish along weeds edges. It’s a day by day thing just have to search till you find them. That cold front shut the fish down yesterday everywere. My partner was out in a few spots that given up good fish in the last week and in 8 hours managed 3 perch.

All the bays on West hold good gills, sometimes just takes a little searching to get on them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.