Ice Fishing?

• up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Whats on the lakes down there for ice? Okoboji and Spirit? They are starting to fish out on the ice here in southern minnesota and was wondering what is going on down there.

shaley
    Milford IA

They started punching holes Nov 21st on Templar, Grade ect. Nothing much yet on the big lakes. There was a quad out on Upper Gar over the weekend. Last time I was on Millers ( Nov 28) Water temp was still 37. Not much for reports yet lots of dinks seems to be the norm with a keeper mixed in here and there.

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

You should let me know when people start going out on miller and little emerson. I cant wait to get out on the ice. Im going to school in Mankato, MN so its about a 2 hour drive for me to drive down just to check things out. You can just send me a PM

shaley
    Milford IA

Bays on West and 99% of Spirit capped Saturday night. Fished anglers today with some luck managed 11 nice 8-10″ gills and saw alot of fish. 8′ in the weed pockets and be patient.

Added a couple pics of the wifes catch on Sunday, bass was released.

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Nice Gills! I fished Spirit on Saturday til about 2 in the afternoon and ended up with 16 bluegills and 4 nice crappies. I noticed there was one shack out on Little Emerson. The ice cant be very thick out there.

shaley
    Milford IA

Reports from Lil E aren’t good. Ice should be 4-5″ by now but check if you go. We didn’t see any crappies on Anglers we were out from the ramp at the resort a little south. I hope to fish the break Sat if I can’t get on my walleye hole in Millers. I think you know my rig, stop by and say hi.

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

I fished Spirit Lake today and it was AWESOME! I caught 107 Panfish and 4 Bass.. Kept only about 25 Gills.. It was a Blast.

shaley
    Milford IA

Shallow and in the weeds?? You can pm me details if you like. we’ll be on Anglers in the morn.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

got some buddies up fishing in Millers Bay on Spirit, some scattered perch, a couple up to 10 inches. They say that there is a ton of small perch coming through on the camera. Get their attention with a rattl’n lure then drop something small with a waxie down and the lookers become hunters.

shaley
    Milford IA

Wheres Millers Bay on Spirit ?? Sorry couldn’t resist

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I didn’t know either, but that’s the cell phone conversation I got! I know they were on Spirit tho cause they said they were crossing the grade. Is there a Anglers Bay on the north east side? Cause I believe this is where they were headed coming from Millers. Don’t know if they were fishing in or near the weed line though. Whats your take Shaley?

shaley
    Milford IA

Lots of dink perch sounds l like Anglers Bay on Spirit to me. I’m taking a wild guess then that millers wasn’t a good bite??

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Anglers bay on spirit lake has slowed down. I have fished millers bay on okoboji and it has been pretty dead. I have caught a few nice bluegills but not a lot.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

yeah, one nice gill on Millers, (very slow) and you had to work for the keepers on Anglers. I guess the best way was to get their attention with a rattl’n spoon, then drop a rat finke down with a waxie, that was the only pattern which would work on perch. I know they were mostly interested in perch/walleye since the big gills are easy to find down here.

shaley
    Milford IA

Fished Smiths from about 2-7 today. Saw nothing till after sunset, marked 3-4 fish, had 1 take a minnow but not the hook. Fish win this round today.

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

I will be down tomorrow for the day and then next week monday tuesday wednesday. Hopefully we can find some fish. The last time we were down it was slow.

shaley
    Milford IA

Fished Smiths again this morning, 1 pike hit and miss 1 muskie hit and miss in 3 hours. Saw a few perch but they just swam through. Hit anglers about 11 ended up with 6 perch and 3 gills worth eating dozen or so went back.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.