OK Steve. I've spotted you a couple months now

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

Fish are starting to bite good here. Better get on your horse. 35 x 21 for the board.

Attachments:
    1. 35x21-control.jpg

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hi Kevin – I thought you must have retired from catfishing. You’ve come to the party a little late.

Attachments:
    1. 24-June-1.jpg

2. 30-June-2015-1.jpg

3. 19-June-2015-1.jpg

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Nice fish Guys!

riverbank-rat
    River Falls, WI

Holy cats! (literally!) I gotta show my buddy who insists a 30-40 size spinning reel on a Medium action rod with 14lb mono is all that he needs for a 50lb Flat or even larger lol.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Holy cats! (literally!) I gotta show my buddy who insists a 30-40 size spinning reel on a Medium action rod with 14lb mono is all that he needs for a 50lb Flat or even larger lol.

LOL. Just let him catch a 20# stugeon. That’ll burn out his reel.

In reality, it all depends on WHERE you are fishing them. Snagless areas, you can get away with a lot. Pulling a 50# fish out of timber you had better have a very solid rod and two thumbs on your spool!

riverbank-rat
    River Falls, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>riverbank-rat wrote:</div>

LOL. Just let him catch a 20# stugeon. That’ll burn out his reel.

In reality, it all depends on WHERE you are fishing them. Snagless areas, you can get away with a lot. Pulling a 50# fish out of timber you had better have a very solid rod and two thumbs on your spool!

Actually, the funny part is he DID catch a 20 pound Sturgeon on that exact setup! We were fishing in mid June in Stillwater off the shore and he fought the fish for over 40 minutes (we were checking the time when he got the bite at 1:04am or something like that and landed it at around 1:50am). His drag is melted and the gear is missing 3 teeth now lol. I have an Offshore Angler Sea Lion 70 size reel with 65lb PP that he uses now.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If you ever step foot in my boat, all wimpy bass gear stays on shore.
    A 30# sturgeon is a 2 minute or less sturgeon for me and my gear.

40 minutes for a 20 pound sturgeon is probably acceptble if your not actually fishing for them.

Tell his that an exhausted fish is a DEAD fish! That kind of pisses me off.

Best to bring them up quick and lively and put them back that way and they will be there tomorrow to be caught again.

@RiverbankRat

If you want to hop in my boat and leave the shore monkey behind sometime let me know. I usually have an open seat. Hoping to make a trip to stillwater the 14th. I’m hoping to move to stillwater in the near future and it would be fun to talk to a local!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.