Nuclear Flatheads

• Riverrat

Apparently the leaked radioactive material that everyone except Excel knew was going to leak into the river, leaked into the river. 300000 gallons of water was leaked, but Xcel says it didn’t really leak into the river, it only leaked to within 30 feet of the river. Sure it’s not the most dangerous radioactive material, but everything they said about the leak has been Bull. If I had Xcel as an energy provider I would be checking my usage and bills every month, because obviously they can’t even come close to being honest.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

They are crying now about only getting $330million instead of the $440 they wanted in payment increase. So now they are scraping the 750 EV chargers they were suppose to build around Minnesota. The CEO should be put in jail. Excel is a joke

robby
    Quad Cities

Where was this? What pool? 4?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Monticello. North of Mpls.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thank you.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

They are crying now about only getting $330million instead of the $440 they wanted in payment increase. So now they are scraping the 750 EV chargers they were suppose to build around Minnesota. The CEO should be put in jail. Excel is a joke

750 chargers cost 110 million? Loss of chargers won’t bother me.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

750 chargers cost 110 million? Loss of chargers won’t bother me.

X2! And I would be shocked if 750 chargers didn’t cost well north of 110M.

tim hurley

You wonder that they could leak 300,000 gallons of water within 30′ of the river and not get a drop in that river? Soo cynical grin

LabDaddy1

Here I thought we were talking about the pine bend leak, or maybe one of the eight recent toxic train derailments…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sounds like Excel landed some pretty good fines for this little leak including not having permits for storage…I’ll see if I can find the story for accuracy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Xcel Energy has been fined $14,000 related to leaks of radioactive tritium from its nuclear power plant at Monticello, Minnesota regulators announced Thursday.

The relatively small fine was not for the leaks themselves, but because Xcel started pumping contaminated groundwater into a temporary storage tank before it had the necessary permit in place, which it later obtained. It’s the only fine that the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has levied against Xcel over the leaks, agency spokesman Stephen Mikkelson said.

The Monticello plant is about 40 miles (64 kilometers) northwest of Minneapolis, upstream from the city on the Mississippi River.

Xcel had already installed and filled more than 20 temporary tanks when MPCA staff informed the company in March of 2023 that adding an additional tank would require a permit because it would raise their total capacity over 1 million gallons (3.8 million liters) to just over 1.4 million gallons (5.3 million liters). But Xcel began filling the new tank in April before it obtained the required permit, the agency said in a statement.

OPINON starts here… $14,000.? Our rates won’t even go up for that fine!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Xcel, 3M , etc, etc

…The stories of corporations polluting our natural resources and having little to no penalty are hard to keep up with.

And don’t forget – those of you middle class working people, DO NOT PI$$ ON THE ICE! chased

Netguy
    Minnetonka

The fine should have been 10X or even 100x that. Whoever sets the level of fines for environmental issues needs to drastically increase them. Xcel probably found the $14,000 in one of there dumpsters like we find change in the couch cushions.
    The MN PCA needs to grow some bigger balls and go after these companies way more aggressively. If I remember correctly, one of the spills on the new oil pipeline being built wasn’t reported in the time frame required and got a small fine, if any. These companies know the fines are small and say “Meh”.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Rates will go up, and have on this side river with creative fee’s. But they’re going up to pay for this carbon free energy that this current administration is shoving down the utilities companies. Solar is the big one.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Xcel, 3M , etc, etc

…The stories of corporations polluting our natural resources and having little to no penalty are hard to keep up with.

And don’t forget – those of you middle class working people, DO NOT PI$$ ON THE ICE! chased

And to think, in our world of political extremes, there are millions of people who will blast big government while worshipping big business.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.