Now over 100 fishermen trapped on Upper Red

• FinnyDinDin

Seems like every year the same cast of characters comes on here to criticize those going on early ice. This year they took it a couple steps further and are calling for fines. Some even seem to want the government to be able regulate when we are allowed to walk on to the ice.

Bunch of male Karen’s.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Seems like every year the same cast of characters comes on here to criticize those going on early ice. This year they took it a couple steps further and are calling for fines. Some even seem to want the government to be able regulate when we are allowed to walk on to the ice.

Bunch of male Karen’s.

The thought of anyone telling me when and where I can walk on public land just amuses me.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The thought of anyone telling me when and where I can walk on public land just amuses me.

Me too! Maybe it’s time to watch your own bobber fellas. whistling

jimmysiewert

Can you hunt anytime, even during non-hunting season on Federal, state owned land (state parks etc.)?? Are what you saying means you don’t have to follow no wake zones, etc.?? Karen wanted me to ask you.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Maybe it’s time to watch your own bobber fellas.

That term seems to come up a lot when a discussion about personal freedom comes into play here. Like wearing PFDs, a motorcycle helmet, or staying off sketchy ice. While there are no laws stating you have to follow any them, the data is obvious. The risk of getting hurt or the outcome even being fatal is much lower if you make a wise decision.

Just sayin’. Carry on though.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Can you hunt anytime, even during non-hunting season on Federal, state owned land (state parks etc.)?? Are what you saying means you don’t have to follow no wake zones, etc.?? Karen wanted me to ask you.

That’s not really a good comparison

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

While there are no laws stating you have to follow any them, the data is obvious. The risk of getting hurt or the outcome even being fatal is much lower if you make a wise decision.

Agree. I feel as though I make wise decisions. I know you were not saying I didn’t, however we all know better than others the ice is never safe, just like a lot of other things we do, there are risks in doing it. I do not speed on the ice, several of these situations could have been avoided if some common sense was applied. I know someone who was fishing out of Jr’s the afternoon before the 122 people got stuck. They said guys were going over the crack and as soon as they got over they gunned the wheeler out to where they were going. He said you could feel the ice shift every time it happened. They used common sense and packed it up early and headed in. No one had to tell them to do so, they did not need a new law or safe ice season of January 15th to tell them. shock

OG Net_Man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Terry wrote:</div>
    And then you have at least 1 resort that states currently that they will shuttle out to 14′ of water.

They have to cross this exact crack that has been the problem to get to the 14′. Does this make any sense? So, what is this restriction doing? If the crack opens up again they will still have people stranded but there will most likely not be any atv or sxs on the mid lake side of the crack?

They are all shutting people out. There is a foot of ice which is plenty to go ice fishing.

You are correct however, this sounds like you are missing my point but I could be mistaken.

The restriction of motorized traffic was due to some unsafe ice. This unsafe ice area is caused by some open water area and a crack in the ice that with some wind it pushes and opens up this crack. Being on the other side of the crack can leave you stranded requiring some type of rescue.

With all of that being said, we have at least one resort shuttling people over this crack. Seems to defeat the reason the restriction was implemented.

Yes, plenty of square miles of ice to fish with out crossing this crack the last several days.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

With all of that being said, we have at least one resort shuttling people over this crack. Seems to defeat the reason the restriction was implemented.

Yes, plenty of square miles of ice to fish with out crossing this crack the last several days.

We can go ahead and call out the resort doing it. Jr’s has to cross the crack to get people fishing in anything deeper than 8ft (don’t quote me but I’m close). If they were to keep everyone inside the crack they would pretty much shut it down, since most guys would go out somewhere else. Am I saying I condone or agree with there decision absolutely not. However its there decision to make. If you choose to go out there with them then its on you if something happens

CaptainMusky

The SHeriff has given the resorts the OK to shuttle people back and forth so I see no problem with them doing it. They are obviously the most well versed on current conditions and what is going on vs so joe blow.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

replied to wrong post.

3Rivers

The SHeriff has given the resorts the OK to shuttle people back and forth so I see no problem with them doing it. They are obviously the most well versed on current conditions and what is going on vs so joe blow.

I’m not a fan of this at all, there is no certification or license or anything, just a green light for “lots of experience”. Well there are plenty of people with “lots of experience” and I’m sure many “joe blows” that are situation aware.

Either yes or no to the vehicles, not subjective to certain businesses or with a special wink and a nod.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Either yes or no to the vehicles, not subjective to certain businesses or with a special wink and a nod.

There was no wink or nod. The resorts have been given the rights to help there customers as they see fit or need to.

3Rivers

There was no wink or nod. The resorts have been given the rights to help there customers as they see fit or need to.

Rights? What about my “rights”?

Rules for thee not for me

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The resorts have been given the rights

Now ya-all dragged me into this…. doah

Huh? What? Tell us how that works!.

Agree with 3Rivers, Everyone or no one. Since when do resorts have special rights that are different than the rest of us?

-J.

Coletrain27

what makes me laugh is all these guys that bitc$ and complain about wheelhouses and permanent shacks and how they have all the amenities and crap that you dont need but yet the same people are too lazy to walk out and need to be shuttled rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

what makes me laugh is all these guys that bitc$ and complain about wheelhouses and permanent shacks and how they have all the amenities and crap that you dont need but yet the same people are too lazy to walk out and need to be shuttled rotflol

I hiked all weekend homie. Did good as well. But we went to a small northern lake no one else goes to. Will be on the wheeler this weekend.
    Using a wheeler or machine is much different then what you just tried to paint.

Coletrain27

i never said anything about you not walking on some random lake where nobody else goes. im talking red lake which is one of the biggest lakes where wheelhouse and permanent shacks are every year. its not different, its a convenience/comfort thing that obiously everyone wants

Coletrain27

Haha anchorman

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0168.jpeg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Huh? What? Tell us how that works!

Sorry Jon I did not ask the member of the Sheriff’s dept that was talking to Red Lake Ice Cabins when I walked in on the end of the conversation. Just what the owner told me he was told. I’m sure that shuttling people was not the intended idea, but it must be ok in the eyes of law enforcement as I have not heard any citations.

CaptainMusky

Not saying I like it either just stating its what the SHeriff has decided to do. No different than Walz shutting down all the small businesses during Covid yet let WalMart and Target remain open because they were essential. Guess who pick and chose who survived that?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m sure that shuttling people was not the intended idea, but it must be ok in the eyes of law enforcement as I have not heard any citations.

I believe that’s what we call a nod and a wink….

-J.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    ^Did anyone ever say it did or reply to you directly? I must’ve missed that.

It was a generic response to the idea that taxes pay for these services to be available and used. Some services’ bills are passed right on to taxpayers a second time, and others aren’t.

I’m just stating that in my own opinion related to these repeated rescues/retrievals/recoveries or whatever you want to call them, a fee should be passed on. Many of these involve dumb decisions or a lack of listening…not random luck events that are health related, accidents, fire, etc. Spend more tax dollars on stuff people can’t control and need help with, rather than stupidity. A fee may even end up being something of a deterrent.

How many tax dollars of yours are going into these rescues? Do you even live in MN? Are you a voter in the county affected?

There is currently no stupid ice fisherman law in MN. Fishermen on Upper Red lake or any other lake in MN cannot legally be charged a bill for being rescued. You can’t just make up a law because your outraged.

Please let me know how this new nanny law should be worded and how would it be enforced? How much money should the stupid people be required to pay?

Let’s face it most people in a rescue situation probably didn’t make the best decisions.

The Sheriff is the chief law enforcement official in the county and is also responsible for searches and rescues within his or her county.

Read about the stupid driver law in Arizona. People stopped calling 911 to get rescued from other situations as the perception was everybody that does something that’s not smart gets arrested or fined.

Arizona Sheriffs then put the word out they would not enforce the stupid driver law. Everyone will get rescued free of charge just call 911 and we will respond. It was a stupid law.

Well guess what, both smart and stupid people should be rescued in this country.

And even if the MN legislators passed a stupid fisherman bill and the governor signed it into law.

The Sheriff could simply not enforce. That’s totally up to the Sheriff and the voters in the county who elected them or could elect a new one.

So let the people up in the Northern counties of MN decide what course of action they want to take and stop trying to make decisions for them.

It’s truly non of your business if you don’t have an election type vote in this.

Yes, I live in Minnesota and own a home + agricultural land here + hunting land here.

Yes, my local county just spent $130k on a local air boat outfitted specifically for ice rescues as a priority using some tax dollars.

Yes, I pay taxes in this county and the state of Minnesota.

Regardless of your babbling, I’ll still support any fine or fee to be rescued/retrieved in a situation similar to what has happened on Red repeatedly if it happens here. Nobody asked for a new “nanny law” or whatever you are describing. Simply it’s been stated that some here support a fine or fee assigned to those being rescued, myself included.

I do know that in Wabasha and Goodhue Counties with some departments, you can and will be assigned a service charge if the fire department reports to your residency.

No new law/s have to be created. For those uneducated, it’s already on the books.

366.011 CHARGES FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES; COLLECTION.
    A town may impose a reasonable service charge for emergency services, including fire, rescue, medical, and related services provided by the town or contracted for by the town. If the service charge remains unpaid 30 days after a notice of delinquency is sent to the recipient of the service or the recipient’s representative or estate, the town or its contractor on behalf of the town may use any lawful means allowed to a private party for the collection of an unsecured delinquent debt.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

i never said anything about you not walking on some random lake where nobody else goes. im talking red lake which is one of the biggest lakes where wheelhouse and permanent shacks are every year. its not different, its a convenience/comfort thing that obiously everyone wants

You grouped 2 random groups together like they were 1. Guys who can’t walk I guess now the guys who hate wheel houses ?

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

You grouped 2 random groups together like they were 1. Guys who can’t walk I guess now the guys who hate wheel houses ?

i think we all agree if you cant physically walk then a machine is needed. what makes me laugh is people complain about permanent shacks and being comfortable and yet thats what they want themselves is comfort and ease. like the resorts still being able to use machines for example

Coletrain27

its just something i find funny, if you dont then thats fine we all have a different opinions

Ripjiggen

In another week all will be forgotten. Then we can go back to arguing about livescope, trash left on the ice, generators and strobe lights.

Coletrain27

In another week all will be forgotten. Then we can go back to arguing about livescope, trash left on the ice, generators and strobe lights.

true story toast

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.