Northwest Sports show time.

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sports show starts this week. Seems early this year. Who’s going and who’s working the show? I’m on the fence about going. River is open and fish are biting. Also worried that if I go might spend to much money. Anyone else remember when the Griz would catch fish out of pool 2 for the fish tank at the show?

ThunderLund78

I like going but will probably skip it this year. Went to the boat show already and have two Canada trips planned this Summer, so no need to look into resorts. I like all the gear, too – but deliver me not into temptation jester

It does seem a little early, usually it’s over my birthday week. 3rd week of March.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I will be there, sounds like Saturday morning. Looking to make either a large purchase or maybe like the last ice show maybe just a couple beers and walk around, going with a couple buddies.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I will be skipping it to go fish the river.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If I can find a babysitter I might head down there. Not working it this year. Should be a good show as usual.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Deer classic is this week rather be there.

Ripjiggen

Working at the show. A lot going on this weekend so it shouldn’t be to busy.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Working at the show. A lot going on this weekend so it shouldn’t be to busy.

What booth Rip, I will stop by and say hi. I hope your right on the not that busy part.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I was thinking about going too but not sure I want to drive around in the snow to get there now. I don’t seem much of a gap in the snow fall from Thursday – Sunday.

queenswake
    NULL

I haven’t gone since 2019. I got tired of going every year for a while there as it was the same thing year after year. Same booths, same locations, and same guys manning the booths. But I’ve been away for long enough now that I am curious again. Mostly about any new smaller products that I don’t know about.

But I might also get pulled away to hit the ice instead, too. We will see.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Anyone go? Reviews? Might try to check it out this weekend.

-J.

AK Guy

Had a friend working the show the first day. He said it was dead. Isn’t this show earlier than in the past? I seem to remember it happening late March/early April. There are a lot of other activities going on during this time of year (a hundred thousand people at the Xcel this weekend for the State HS hockey tournament as an example) so maybe that has affected attendance.

Ripjiggen

It was slow yesterday as well. Always dead on Thursday.
    It has scaled back some the last few years. Most boat dealers were back this year though. If you didn’t look at boats you could probably walk the other isles in an hour.

B-man

We’re going to be in the cities today to visit the FIL in the hospital, since we’re down there anyways we’ll be swinging by the show toast

queenswake
    NULL

I do wonder why they had it earlier this year. It’s always been a week or two later. A lot of guys are still ice fishing, the deer classic is going on at Canterbury, etc.

I always thought they needed to spruce the show up some to make it more an event. Outside of the boats and the aisles of fishing lodges and resorts, there isn’t a whole lot left. Make it more like the DNR building at the state fair and the entire family is going to want to come down.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I went yesterday for a couple hours, mostly to see some friends that were working. It definitely has scaled down. Not nearly as many of the smaller companies that you see at the shows normally. Still a lot of nice boats to look through and some solid deals. Rip I tried to find you but I think I just missed you. Talked to one guy at the booth that said you had just stepped out. Hope the show gets a little busier for you.

I only picked one thing up, a Tatula punching rod at 20% off, so I left happy.

B-man

Had a good time at the show with the boys today.

Stopped and saw some buddies at the Lift Bridge Charter Association [ https://liftbridgecharters.com/ ], I went to school with Kent and he walked around with me and the boys to get out of the booth for a bit.

The kids had fun attempting the rock wall, and enjoyed the free trout pond (we donated a little for the fun).

The old couple running the trout pond used to own Fawn-Doe-Rosa in St. Croix Falls and live in Balsam Lake. Had a good time sharing stories with them peace

We stopped by and said hi to Russ at the Marine General and “donated” some more money there lol

Also spent a some time at the Garmin Factory booth and played with a bunch of units. I recently ordered some upgrades for the boat and had fun playing with them in person there.

Overall it was a great time and worth the visit waytogo

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20230311_164945058-1-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20230311_174904218-1-scaled.jpg

3. PXL_20230311_164945058-scaled.jpg

4. PXL_20230311_174904218-scaled.jpg

LabDaddy1

Me and my dad went Saturday from about 3-5:30. Man was it a shadow of what it once was. It was nice having some shoulder room at least. Quite a few empty booths too. Is it just me or were there not a whole lot of good deals on gear?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Is it just me or were there not a whole lot of good deals on gear?

The days of 30-40% off stuff is over. There were a few 50% off racks of cheap models, stuff I have never heard of or 5’10” good rods. I picked up Livescope the LS34 and Gl10 box package for $1550.00 and my friends that were with grabbed Hummingbird Mega Live for $1340.00 I thing it was, all from Capra’s.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

B man, what can am is that. Looks to be the first sxs that would interest me

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The days of 30-40% off stuff is over

Got 40% off a set of Norfin insulated rain gear. Was marked 30% off but asked if they could do better and got the 40. This was at Marine General.

Also picked up a Ranger landing net. Not sure what the retail was, but at $55 looks like a solid deal.

-J.

Umy
    South Metro

My son and I went on THursday. he works about 5 blocks from there. Picked him and wandered around for about 1.5 hours. Tickets were $5 each from 5pm on. We were driving out of the parking ramp at 6:30.
    Walked down EVERY aisle, talked to some reps, bought some things.
    Never been to it before but certainly not was I was expecting – pretty minimal crowd, lot so empty space. Bought a St. Croix rod for $40 cheaper than I was pricing at Cabelas so……

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Also picked up a Ranger landing net. Not sure what the retail was, but at $55 looks like a solid deal.

There were some good deals for sure just saying in general the day’s of getting crazy deals seem to be over.

Jon I have a Ranger net going on 10 years old and love that net!

3Rivers

Actually, I think we are heading in a direction of more sales to be found. I worked the show on Friday and the vibe is definitely higher inventory and slower sales. The retailers are going to want to reduced their stock, so don’t be afraid to ask, they are a lot more willing to move stuff than they have been in the past 3 years.

CBMN
    North Metro

I had a little time to kill yesterday afternoon and the show was quiet. I am a bit with Jon and 3Rivers as I was able to get 30% + off of a high end rod yesterday. Went looking for a mega live pole and no one had the one I am looking for so no deal to be had there. Got my free progressive goodies and did a lap and hit the road.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.