Northwest Angle Lakers?

• fishhuntguy

A buddy and I are heading to the Northwest Angle on Thursday for couple days. We have snowmobiles and Ontario licenses as well. Any general tips on what the lakers in that area like or dont like? We are looking more for quality than quantity too if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help!

tswoboda

Where can you actually target lake trout out of the Angle?

It’s a 25+ mile run up to Clearwater/Echo Bay area but I’m pretty sure that’s closed to ice fishish lakers now.

Ptarmigan Bay maybe? I’m not sure on the season or fish population there.

fishhuntguy

Ya I guess we’re trailering the sleds into Ontario 30 miles before we get on the sleds. Any advice?

404 ERROR
    MN

Yeah, the only place you can target them is Whitefish Bay and a couple surrounding spots. Check in the Ontario fishing regulations for the specific bays and locations. White is right with Lake Trout. Some white plastics will get the job done 7/10 times!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

A buddy and I are heading to the Northwest Angle on Thursday for couple days. We have snowmobiles and Ontario licenses as well. Any general tips on what the lakers in that area like or dont like? We are looking more for quality than quantity too if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help!

Pat McSharry and I fished out of Crawford’s Camp in Sioux Narrows for this week’s show and it was a pretty good bite despite the wicked storm that rolled through. We didn’t catch a single fish on plastics this trip… the fish wouldn’t touch them when that’s normally our go-to presentation. FWIW – they wanted spoons. A 3/16 oz Tingler spoon in Emerald Shiner with the hooks swapped to a #2 feather treble was lights out.

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2017-01-05-at-1.41.04-PM.png

2. Screen-Shot-2017-01-05-at-1.40.18-PM.png

Gary M

James
    Do you always go with light Wieght spoons.
    I tend to go with 1/2 to 3/8 ounces tubes and buck tails.
    But my hook up percentage is not very good. I like the wieght because I can go up and down water Column faster. So I need to try something else but also when I see something on Vexliar I want to get down to it fast.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James
    Do you always go with light Wieght spoons.
    I tend to go with 1/2 to 3/8 ounces tubes and buck tails.
    But my hook up percentage is not very good. I like the wieght because I can go up and down water Column faster. So I need to try something else but also when I see something on Vexliar I want to get down to it fast.

No, I don’t always go this light. I did try a heavy “slab” style spoon but the fish didn’t respond to it. They definitely wanted the erratic, slow-fall of a flutter spoon on this trip. Given we were fishing in 40 – 60 feet of water the slightly slower sink rate really wasn’t that big of a deal. It definitely didn’t cost me any fish. If I was fishing significantly deeper water I’m sure the slower fall rate would have become an issue.

fishhuntguy

Cool James thanks for the advice. Ya we ended up snowmobiling all the way over to Whitefish Bay, man was that a long trip from the angle even more so the day started with -36 on the truck temp gauge. One of the locals was like man you guys must really hate those fish but it was the only day it worked out for us to target lakers during our trip. I noticed they didnt want tubes cuz we only caught 1 fish and it was on a set line with a fake tulipee/shiner looking plastic on it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.