Northern Apparently Choked to Death on a Sunfish

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

I came across this northern last Tuesday evening on a metro lake that apparently died trying to swallow a sunfish that was too big. I’d guess the northern was about 28″-30″ long. It had been dead a while but wasn’t really starting to decay too much. I wonder how often this happens. I’ve heard about it before but have never seen one.

The photo shows the belly of the northern with its gills flared out and the tail of the sunny sticking out of the northern’s mouth.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_66881.jpg

hdog3385

Cool photo! I saw this once about 15 years ago. My father and I were driving across the lake and spotted something on the surface. As we got closer to investigate, it became clear it was a decent size northern. I grabbed the net and scooped it up, still alive with a sunfish stuck in it’s throat. It weighed about 5 pounds and was delicious!

sji

I’m sure most of have seen this picture before. Guy was fishing in Canada, was reeling in a 36″ pike when a 55 pound pike grabbed it.

Attachments:
    1. Northern_Pike_Canada_Record3.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This happens more often than we think. Esox prefer soft rayed fish such as suckers and tulibees (in certain lakes) and small pike, rather than fish with spines on their dorsal fins such as bluegills, crappies, etc. The shape of the fish probably plays a role too. Even though perch have spines on their dorsal fins, they are more elongated-shape so they may go down easier without issue.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The resort owner told me this washed up onto his shore one year.

Attachments:
    1. 2011-08-07-09.22.44-1.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I had a walleye come struggling along on Lake Pepin one day that had a sheepshead wedged in its mouth and was suffocating. We netted the walleye and tried to get the sheepie dislodged but to no avail so the waldo was part of my limit that day. Nice walleye too, maybe 8 pounds and would have been a dandy about now with spawning.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

This happens more often than we think. Esox prefer soft rayed fish such as suckers and tulibees (in certain lakes) and small pike, rather than fish with spines on their dorsal fins such as bluegills, crappies, etc. The shape of the fish probably plays a role too. Even though perch have spines on their dorsal fins, they are more elongated-shape so they may go down easier without issue.

Is that mount from a resort on Little boy lake near Walker? If so I know the guy who did the mount. I believe the northern was around 8LBs.

Jim in Wisconsin

I found a 19″ smallmouth with an oversize sunfish stuck in it’s throat years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.