north shore steelhead / kamloops

• Carl S

I’m going to be up at Tettegouche camping next weekend. I’ve never done any shore fishing for steelhead or kamloops but figured I’d bring a rod with.

Couple of questions:
    Is there a population of fish in the Tettegouche area? Most reports I see come from areas further south.

If there are fish in that area, what techniques are going to be good this time of year? And should I be looking more at the rivers or the lake / river mouth?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

It all depends on whether the rivers are running with enough water. Steelhead and loopers will sit off shore if the water isn’t running good, but you may find one or two that will hit a looper bug and waxie or a hook/spawn bag hanging under a float. The see floats up there that are weighted just for fishing like this and can be cast a mile.

If you can’t find any fish in the river, fish the mouth in both directions from shore.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Don’t be afraid to cast orange or pink spoons too. I caught quite a few loopers doing that.

The larger streams farther up the shore can be great but they turn on later in the season. That doesn’t mean they aren’t there now though. Nobody reports on them because they want to keep the pressure down.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I like orange on a gold spoon for loopers but pink gets it done too. So will green or blue on silver. Remember that if you are fishing within 100 yards of a river mouth its all single hooks, so maybe just remove the trebs and go single and the spoons before e you venture out so you don’t have to think about it. Single hooks get just as many fish. Look for some Siwash hooks, they’re a dynamite single hook for up there.

Carl S

Thanks for the info! Any chance at salmon from shore this time of year?

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Cast the shore for salmon it’s a little late but there is a chance. There is fish all the way up into Canada. Every decent size river will hold fish.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.