North Arm

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

If memory serves that’s my post. If true that chip was new at the time which would be 2 years old at the most.

There’s no “best” on the north arm, you need to use two sources in tandem. Get a set of the paper maps. This will serve two purposes. If your electronics die or otherwise malfunction you’re still good. There are hazards on the paper maps that aren’t on the LM chip, mostly in back bays and more out of the way locations. The default maps on the new Helix unit appear to be uploads of the paper maps.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thank you & yes it was your thread. I’ll see if I can chase down some paper maps this winter.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Will any of these maps help? Kind of a fun read.

http://rainylakeconservancy.org/Resources/Documents/Evolution_of_Rainy_Maps.pdf

Finding the maps online to order is kind of a pain. Not impossible because they are available just remember it wasn’t easy. Rainy Lake sports has a maps section toward the back. Given your current location that might be easiest when the time comes. Drive across, stop at RLS, and launch at the government dock.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

RLS is where I usually get my license so I’ll take a look next time in.

Umy
    South Metro

I use the Fishing Hot Spots maps.
    Good detail and have the Lakemaster chips for the electronics.
    I order them. laminate them and mark the areas I want and compare with what I see on the electronics.
    I keep them in a 2″ black ABS pipe with a cap glued on one end and the other cap on free so I can take it off. Takes almost no storage space Waterproof and always ion the boat when I need it

scottaheller

Just curious how is the fishing in the north arm? Is it worth the effort to make some day trips into that part of the lake?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just curious how is the fishing in the north arm? Is it worth the effort to make some day trips into that part of the lake?

I’ll let you know as soon as they let me in there. grin In all honesty it’s a huge body of water and the fish will be there but you will need to find them. If you are coming for Walleye work the reefs in the summer and you will find fish.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Kind of late to the party here, but prior to COVID, I’ve fished the North Arm of Rainy for 20+ years. It’s my favorite drive-to spot to fish, hands down. Smallmouth, pike and walleye can all be fantastic.
    I’d be happy to sit down with you electronically or otherwise, and share some map spots and tips if you’d like. Feel free to send me a PM.

dano

Hi! New to In Depth Outdoors. Would like to fish north arm of Rainy Lake US side for smallies east of International Falls. Never have been to Rainy before. Have fished Lake of the Woods (Canadian) east side for many years.

Would like to take my wife to Rainy for smallies. How do I get in touch with you for some info about fishing Rainy east of International Falls. Would greatly appreciate it! Thanks Dan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.