Lakemaster warning for Rainy's North Arm and some pros

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

Used new equipment for the first time in 10 years and included the latest Rainy/Woods chip. Found a pattern that’s worth sharing.

Let’s not be all negative today, here’s some pros. Main lake areas seemed to be very well mapped. Integrated with a new HB Helix we were always at the spot on the map and depth was what was advertised. We found humps that we never new existed. Features like shallow water highlight were a nice upgrade from the old unit.

Cons: Do NOT rely on the lakemaster chip when fishing bays. We found a consistent pattern where both above and underwater rocks were not represented.

My issue here is not expected perfection it’s that these rocks are already mapped. Both the 20 year old paper maps and HB’s included Contour XD(they look like the same map) were significantly better.

Recommendation: If you’re exploring bays, use the old maps/Contour XD. If you’re on the main lake, use the new chip. If you have paper you can compare both at the same time.

Sand Bay Fish Camp

I found the same issues for navigational markers/paths on the new lake masters chips. They have the main navigation lines going around the *WRONG SIDE* of buoys in a few instances, including the east end of Brule and in the American and Kettle channels.

Yes, I agree that you shouldn’t rely on electronic navigation. This is fine for me. I’ve been fishing this lake for 30+ years. However, I’m more concerned about the Rainy noobs venturing out to enjoy the lake for the first time. All Canadian Shield lakes are can openers. Most don’t have marine band radios and cell service is not great past the Shelland Islands.

I contacted Johnson outdoors about a year ago and they responded apathetically. They said they’ll look into it. Nothing else.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I found the same issues for navigational markers/paths on the new lake masters chips. They have the main navigation lines going around the *WRONG SIDE* of buoys in a few instances, including the east end of Brule and in the American and Kettle channels.

True as well for example in the Little Canoe channel. The channel line was correct but the chip had the buoy in the wrong spot on the rock. No biggie in the daylight.

This wouldn’t bug me except Johnson Outdoors already has the data. If it’s on the contour xd maps why can’t they use that as a base???? Then at least the above water hazards are on the LM chip???? Same concept as the Zero Line card where shore and islands are there before you start.

Sand Bay Fish Camp

I’m not sure how it works on the Canadian side, but on the US side, the US Coast Guard contracts out the placement and maintenance of buoys on the lake (and I believe they still do this). Buoys do move due to weather and other factors. Perhaps that is the case for what you were seeing. I am not familiar with that area.

I don’t know what the contract terms are anymore, previously the contractor responsible was required to inspect buoys once a month. I know for a while the US side of Rainy was terribly managed. Buoys missing or way off mark. I guess some local guy undercut the previous contractor by many thousands then had the stones to complain that it was hard work and that he was losing money. In the last 15+ years it seems to be really well managed.

As far as the chip goes, I agree. It seem silly that Johnson Outdoors keeps jacking up prices yet the technology seems to be going backwards.

Karry Kyllo

If I remember correctly, there is a disclaimer somewhere on the Humminbird startup pages stating that the maps aren’t to be used for navigation. The Lakemaster maps aren’t perfect but I think they’re pretty good for the most part.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

If I remember correctly, there is a disclaimer somewhere on the Humminbird startup pages stating that the maps aren’t to be used for navigation. The Lakemaster maps aren’t perfect but I think they’re pretty good for the most part.

True statement and not my gripe or heads up to other fishermen. It’s that the newest chip is missing things Johnson Outdoors already has and is actually worse for exploring the bays. Main lake seems to be a nice improvement.

Our paper maps are at least 20 years old they have these hazards along with the Contour XD. Yet the newest chip says 10 feet deep where there is a giant boulder 10 feet above the water line.

The intent here is to give people newer to the North Arm a friendly heads up on which maps are best for navigation as it’s not intuitive. They may not have 40 years experience like my fishing partner.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’m not sure how it works on the Canadian side, but on the US side, the US Coast Guard contracts out the placement and maintenance of buoys on the lake (and I believe they still do this). Buoys do move due to weather and other factors. Perhaps that is the case for what you were seeing. I am not familiar with that area.

Buoy is in the right location, chip has it in the wrong spot. Easy to spot in the daylight.

Overall the Canadians do a good job of getting the buoys in the same spot year to year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.