noodle rods

• tucrs
    NW Metro

Scott we have Seinna’s back in stock 500’s with drag washers already installed.

John

Jay Shelley

this is a little bit of a thread hijack, but with all the different style of “noodle” rods. which is used in what scenario? when would you use a bullwhip style noodle rod over a power noodle rod

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

If you’re using a noodle rod to jig, well one has to take into consideration on the rod tip load while jigging. It’s all about the lure.

The second consideration is handle grip/hold technique. If per say that you’re pistol gripping or painter’s brush gripping or traditional rod handle balancing grip and there’s individual preferences as well.

Some noodle rods are quick tip / power noodle rods while others are more traditional with a soft progression load. Some noodle rods can control fish, while others are just limp forgiveness.

Overall, they should all work great for dead sticking and it’s all personal preference too.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have noticed some differences between a few of them from sensitivity at the tip to where they transition to the backbone and also how much of a backbone they have

An example would be comparing the TUCR Bullwhip to the TUCR Precision Noodle to the DH Customs Al Dente. To me, each are noticeably different and have their own style that makes them better than the other 2.

Thats not to say you couldnt use any one of them in place of the other though.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

this is a little bit of a thread hijack, but with all the different style of “noodle” rods. which is used in what scenario?

The big difference you will find in noodle rods is how much backbone they have, the transition into the backbone, the number of guides, and where they are placed. I have found that the power noodles I have liked the best have 6 guides on them. 6 guides seem to complement the taper of the blank and utilize it to the fullest. I also felt that the noodle rods with 6 guides are more sensitive and I can feel the tip better. Noodle rods with 5 guides seem to have more of a lob to them when jigging with the same lure. (This is a general statement because the blank design will also affect this.) The different transition will affect the presentation of the lure and the fish will tell you what they want. When you are talking about using such light jigs that transition will present you jig from a soft hop to a jerk with the same small movement of the wrist.

Brett Ford

Both TUCR and DH customs make great noodle rods. Thorne bros, while they make great rods, I have multiple, their power noodle is not as nice as the noodle offerings from the other two. In my personal opinion, the lightness of tips starting from lightest goes…TUCR precision noodle, DH al dente, TUCR bullwhip. With the DH being closer to the precision noodle than the bullwhip. There is another option that is a bit of an outlier and I don’t know many that even know about it or have tried it…that’s the DH pannie drop’r, it is the al dente blank with the top couple inches cut off and in place of it it a very light titanium spring. I have one and absolutely love it, have mostly had a 1/32oz vmc tungsten fly tied on it since I bought it. If you tend to mostly fish 1/32oz and lighter stuff then I would recommend the precision noodle or pannie drop’r. If you sometimes fish 1/16oz stuff but mostly around 1/32 then I’d go with the al dente.

Ryan Schwartz

Picked up a TUCR Bullwhip late last season and had a few outings with it. All I can say is why didn’t I pick it up sooner!

iTinker

I’m shocked no one mentioned the TUCR inferno. Not as much backbone as the bullwhip, but very good for the price.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.