noodle rods

• Dink buster

Looking for a quality noodle rod for panfish. Mainly fish from a shack unless weather decent.Any suggestions? Relatively new to the sport. Thanks

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You cant go wrong with a TUC precision noodle. I have several and love them. Detects the lightest bite and has the backbone for a good hook set and to handle bigger fish if needed

bigstorm
    Southern WI

From my experience with noodle rods, you cant go wrong with a TUCR or DH Custom, but depending on how new you are to ice fishing you may want to hold off on getting some of the higher end ones.

I dont have any experience with the Beaver Dam or the Ticklesticks, but have heard ok things about them

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I love my power noodle rods. I carry 3 different ones with me when I am chasing pan fish. I built each one with a slightly different tip to dial in the small jigs I use. I believe everyone should have at least one power noodle rod.

Dan Baker

My first choice for noodle type rods would be the TUCR Bullwhip. It has a slightly stiffer tip than the Precision Noodle, and it is designed to be fished with Tungsten Jigs and small spoons. You can really see all of the action of the fish in the tip. It then transitions into a very powerful backbone, so you are fighting the fish with the rod vs the handle. It’s tons of fun. If you prefer to fish smaller, lead jigs, the Precision Noodle would be more appropriate.
    Dan

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Check out basskhang. He can custom a noodle rod to your liking. I’ve built a few noodle rods from his blanks in the past two years and plan on building a few more with the new blank he has now.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Being relatively new I would get a TUCR bullwhip or a rod like that. It is going to be a noodle rod but still being more versatile enough for other species.

I use my bullwhip in a 30-32″ inside or out. 32″ seems to be the perfect fit for me.

TUCR is open this weekend for their open house. If you want to check out rods. We will have Precision noodles and Bullwhips on hand.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

Id take a look at Throne Bros. Make awesome custom rods

hnd

i fish for panfish 99% of the time and fish with a noodle almost 90% of the time. that said there are some who don’t prefer them.

I have had customs from all over the custom market. but i also wanted an inexpensive option for my kids as it was horrifying putting one of my customs in the hand of a 6 yr old.

I tried about 5 different variety of under 40 dollar mass produced noodle rods. the clear winner was the Clam power stick noodle. i think it comes in a combo. i paid under 50 for the combo. its 90% the feel of my high end combos. The beaver dam noodle was not great. not much noodle to it.

So you’ve got pretty good options at most price ranges.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I second what some of the comments are on here. I have the precision noodle and a bullwhip from TUCR. I would go with the bullwhip if you are new to fishing simply because bite detection (especially if mainly fishing in a shack/house) is very similar with both rods and with the bullwhip it does offer you the option to use heavier jigs and small spoons and handle larger fish. I am actually in the process of selling my precision noodle to get another bullwhip.

I will say though that before I purchased the Tuned Up Custom Rod I used the jason mitchell Meat Stick and those work well for a little less money. They have revised the design on those since I purchased years ago and the eyelits are larger that might be a good option as well.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I second what some of the comments are on here. I have the precision noodle and a bullwhip from TUCR. I would go with the bullwhip if you are new to fishing simply because bite detection (especially if mainly fishing in a shack/house) is very similar with both rods and with the bullwhip it does offer you the option to use heavier jigs and small spoons and handle larger fish. I am actually in the process of selling my precision noodle to get another bullwhip.

I’d pretty much made up my mind on the PN, but after reading the comments on this thread…I’m wondering if I should consider a Bullwhip?

I most always target panfish with very small tungsten jigs with 2 lb mono.

I think it would be great if you could somehow compare while fishing with them using assorted jigs/lures, and maybe actually playing a fish….rather than just holding and bending them at a store.

I’m not asking too much, am I? )

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lrott2003 wrote:</div>

I’d pretty much made up my mind on the PN, but after reading the comments on this thread…I’m wondering if I should consider a Bullwhip?

I most always target <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish with very small tungsten jigs with 2 lb mono.

I think it would be great if you could somehow compare while fishing with them using assorted jigs/lures, and maybe actually playing a fish….rather than just holding and bending them at a store.

I have both the PN and the Bullwhip and if you’re fishing jigs that small the majority of the time I’d go with the PN. Before I got my Bullwhip last year I fished bigger jigs and even the smallest sized jigging rap with my PN and while it’s a little bouncier than the Bullwhip is, it still got the job done plenty well. It will also stand up to those surprise jig pike. Caught a 12 lber on Devils Lake with my PN. Took awhile but got it topside no problem. You will be happy with either one.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I’m not asking too much, am I?

All the power noodles out there are built on a solid fiberglass blank. Each company has a little different taper to their design and different thickness to the butt along with the number of guides and placement of them. That little difference in taper makes a big difference. You won’t have a problem bringing in most fish if the rod has enough back bone. Large pike will take some more time but with 2-3lb line you don’t want to rush it anyways. Just make sure you have your drag set right. Since power noodles are my favorite hard water style of rod I have the taper of many of them recorded along with their number of guides and placement of them. With this I have a good idea of how the rod will react when fishing it. You can always bring a jig tied to you choice of line and run it through the rod to see how the rod will react. It will be very hard to feel the little differences in the tip by bending these rods in the store. But by playing with the jig and loading up the rod you can get a little bit of an idea of how it will play the fish.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Here’s a new list since my last one got deleted

Those are some good examples of the different ones I have tried. There are many great power noodle rods out there.

Dan Baker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lrott2003 wrote:</div>

I most always target <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish with very small tungsten jigs with 2 lb mono.

From your description, the Precision Noodle sounds like the best option. There is a little overlap in the PN and the Bullwhip and it is right in that small tungsten zone. But I think the PN would suit your needs better in this case. If you’re in the neighborhood this weekend, stop by the Tuned Up Open house on Saturday. We will have some rods rigged up for you to compare them.
    Dan

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I will say though that before I purchased the Tuned Up Custom Rod I used the jason mitchell Meat Stick and those work well for a little less money. They have revised the design on those since I purchased years ago and the eyelits are larger that might be a good option as well.

x2 for the Meat Stick as a very valid option at a different price point. I also have the older version. Have one for my wife as well. As a novice the bright noodle tip works awesome for her.

If you have more money, TUCR Bullwhip is really quite awesome. I’m holding off on my upgrade until some moment of stupidity breaks my Meat Stick rotflol

I’m also a big fan of Thorne Bros but in the noodle category I might give the edge to TUCR in the custom realm.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

There are many great power noodle rods out there.

And that there is perhaps both the blessing and the curse. Always good to have options, but when it becomes so many (which it looks like it has), one can become confused and find themselves spinning in circles always second guessing. There’s no way I’m willing to check all of them out, but then again I’m easily confused. blush

I’m not sure if the OP Stuart got the information he was asking for, but I’d like to thank everyone who commented on helping me refine my search.

If you’re in the neighborhood this weekend, stop by the Tuned Up Open house on Saturday. We will have some rods rigged up for you to compare them.
    Dan

Dan, lucky for me I live in the neighborhood…10 minutes from home. Makes the decision process that much easier.

See you on Saturday. wave

Dink buster

Ya thanks to everyone really enjoyed the feedback. Was a big help. Leaning towards a tucr bullwhip

SW Eyes

You can’t really go wrong with any of the high end options listed above. People have their allegiances, but there are a lot of great rods out there nowadays. It’s unreal how that custom rod market has exploded.

I own TUCR and Thorne bros in various models. Both awesome.

If you’re looking for a cheaper version, the tickle stick is just fine. Saying otherwise is just plain rod snobbery (a lot of that these days). You could probably find one in the neighborhood of $40 on a Black Friday deal.

I have a ML action that I received for a gift. I actually really enjoy using it. Sometimes it’s nice to not have to tiptoe around $150 custom rods, especially if I’m bringing my young boy, or with a rowdy bunch of beer drinking friends on a weekend trip. To many’s dismay, you’ll still catch the same fish. I routinely fish a Crappies on a certain lake, but routinely pick up walleyes, largemouth bass, and the occasional roaming pike. The tickle stick handles them like a champ, same as my customs. I’ve even target walleye when the bite gets tough.

The customs are great. I love mine. But, a lot of solid options at lower price points at the moment for those not in the high-end market.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Not to hijack but anyone know when tucr will have sienna 500 back in stock? Gonna order up a pn, just as soon get the shimano with it.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Not to hijack but anyone know when tucr will have sienna 500 back in stock? Gonna order up a pn, just as soon get the shimano with it.

I’ll let TUCR officially respond but I know they now have many reels in stock and should be adding them to their website now that their open house is over.

I was at the open house yesterday and it looked like they had quite the selection.

I walked out with a PN and opted for an Okuma Avenger…and 10% off both + free stickers and can coolee’s… yay

Attachments:
    1. tucrpn.jpg

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I saw the pics of the open house at TUCR and the deal they had on the bait feeders was outstanding… I was in the area and just did not have time to get there before it closed.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Yes we will be getting Shimano Seinna’s back in stock.

Thank you

We will be getting more Sienna’s in. Look to our Facebook page for announcements of when new product is available.
    Thanks
    TUCR

Cory McIntosh

If you are liking the bullwhip look into the dh aldente noodle same idea of versital tip with I feel even more backbone than the tucr…also if you upgrade the handle to they’re abs option (100$ total, 25 les than a bullwhip) it turns the usually visual only bite detection into a sight and feel rod…giving you two types of sensitivity. It’s hard for me to call tucr custom as they give you little options to actually customize pretty much just length and handle… a more accurate name would be tune up hand made rods as you pretty much just pick one of the models they always make off a rack where as other rod builder will let you pick colors monograms, guide options, handle options and what not

Tharin Benson
    NE Iowa

Obviously you’re misinformed, you can do the same thing at TUCR.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

The snitch by 13 fishing. Such a nice panfish rod, and not too hefty of a price tag either. TUCRS are pretty much top of the line, but that’s a lot more money. And since these little panfish rods are so easy to break, I wouldn’t want to risk losing that much money.

Tharin Benson
    NE Iowa

The snitch by 13 fishing. Such a nice <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish rod, and not too hefty of a price tag either. TUCRS are pretty much top of the line, but that’s a lot more money. And since these little panfish rods are so easy to break, I wouldn’t want to risk losing that much money.

They’re not as easy to break as you think. I’ve landed largemouth well over 4lbs. on my Precision Noodle. As long as you store your rods properly, without a load on them, they’ll be good.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

The snitch by 13 fishing. Such a nice <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish rod, and not too hefty of a price tag either. TUCRS are pretty much top of the line, but that’s a lot more money. And since these little panfish rods are so easy to break, I wouldn’t want to risk losing that much money.

The snitch is a.nice rod. I have one and use it right along with 2 Bullwips and a Fusion. All are rigged differently. I ordered all my tucr rods with different wraps so I can tell at a glance which one I want to use.
    My favorite rods are the BW’s though.

catmando
    wis

After you get a noodle rod, go to Thorne Brothers and get yourself a Tripwire for the real light biters.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.