Non portable lights for nights on river?

• sharptailer
    IGH, MN

What brands do you use or reccomend for driving on rivers at night? I’m thinking of mounting two floods and two spotlights on bow of my Lunker. Brands to stay away from. 55w or 75w? HID or LED? Driving down to Spring Lake area and back from 494 is not fun with a hand held spotlight. Thanks, Michael

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

As a word of caution, only docking lights are allowed besides the normal navigation lights. They are to be used only when docking.

I know there’s many out there that have mounted lights on their boats…I guess a person could say you were docking from a mile or so away. )

Then again, in 11 years I’ve seen 1 enforcement vessel on the water after dark and that was because we were reported to be in trouble due to fog. (we were fishing).

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Then again, in 11 years I’ve seen 1 enforcement vessel on the water after dark and that was because we were reported to be in trouble due to fog. (we were fishing).

I’ve seen a few, and gotten a ticket from one! blush (unrelated to lights)

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

As a word of caution, only docking lights are allowed besides the normal navigation lights. They are to be used only when docking.

How does that work with folks that are bowfishing with more lights that Target Field?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good question Ryan. I’ll do some checking when I have a moment.

I was coming back from a night of catten and started to slow down.

Right in the middle of what I thought was a back water lake was a car!! I checked my GPS. Yep right where I should be. No road where that car was!!

It was a bow fishing boat and it was a LOT closer then I thought!

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Thanks Brian, I didn’t know that. I’m always able to tell when the guys from from the Minnesota are on pool 2. I can usually backtrack my GPS and only occasionally use the light to check for bouys. Twice I’ve had near misses with disabled boats in the channel and am trying to drive around a little safer

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Thanks Brian, I didn’t know that. I’m always able to tell when the guys from from the Minnesota are on pool 2.

On the MN, some of them are so bright you can see them two bends away!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Only docking lights are allowed? That’s just nuts….. I am going to get a ticket for securing my safety on the river? Is it just because of Barges?

Anyhow rant over, I use 55W HID’s mounted on the front of my boat. It was like $100 for the pair or something like that. HID’s will be less draw to the battery. I think I have the euro pair which is half spot half flood.

They work great – however, no one should be open throttle driving at night regardless of the lights you have.

Attachments:
    1. 10336645_10152641241623322_8127457054437960490_n.jpg

2. 10343505_10152641236138322_5573245585749404158_n.jpg

dbright
    Cambridge

How do they work mounted on ram mount Jakob?

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Always cautious while driving at night, logs and trash can come out of nowhere quick. Waterlogged trees are hard to see in the day, almost impossible at night.
    I was thinking of attaching lights to a bar and using Ram mounts to put the lights out front and lower. Thanks, Michael

catnip
    south metro

I made this set up after going through a few portable ones. Spots facing forward and floods out the sides. Just 55w lights from northern. But when under way and only need the spots for a second or so I have the on off switch bypassed with a mechanics remote starter button. Works awesome and wont wear out the switch. All that being said once you get the lights aimed for the speed you want that’s the speed you will need to go for them to be useful. Bow up,lights up and so on. So the portable is still useful.

Attachments:
    1. 20150611_184852.jpg

2. 20150611_184813.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

iuse 55W HID’s mounted on the front of my boat. It was like $100 for the pair or something like that. HID’s will be less draw to the battery. I think I have the euro pair which is half spot half flood.

Good point. Battery draw is significant for the bigger spot and flood lights. Start running 2-4 of them at once, and you will easily outpace the charge rate that your outboard can produce.

I’ve wondered about the new LED variety. Are they bright enough? Anyone tried them?

Grouse

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Grouse,
    From what I’ve read HIDs are 200-300% more efficient than sealed beam lights and LEDs draw only about a tenth of what a HID would draw. But that is comparing lumen to lumen on paper. It seems the off-road people use HIDs to light up their future. One writer said “…LEDs are for being seen, not for seeing.”
    I fish alone a lot and when using a handheld from the back of the boat it is hard to past the bow. I’m thinking a couple of mounted lights would make seeing better.
    Michael

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

This is my old boat, but it’s how i’ve got it mounted on my current one too. I’m actually using the longest RAM arm now though.

CLoser to the water you can get your light the better your visibility will be.

I run WOT at night all the time, unless i’m on the MN River and you’ve got fog up the wazooo, Bugs so thick the spot can’t see through them, and enough dead heads to worry about that WOT isn’t worth it!
    But on the Miss or the Croix, any lake or hte Rainy..It is WOT with the spot blazin at night.

Attachments:
    1. full-26433-32884-img_20130507_173519_311.jpg

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I am the same way on the croix. WOT or it takes me over an hour to get home. Only had one near call with a boat that had no lights.

I think it was Bob Moore that ran over a boat once in the middle of the river with no lights on.

yummymuskie
    A River.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jakob wrote:</div>
    iuse 55W HID’s mounted on the front of my boat. It was like $100 for the pair or something like that. HID’s will be less draw to the battery. I think I have the euro pair which is half spot half flood.

Good point. Battery draw is significant for the bigger spot and flood lights. Start running 2-4 of them at once, and you will easily outpace the charge rate that your outboard can produce.

I’ve wondered about the new LED variety. Are they bright enough? Anyone tried them?

Grouse

thats why i have two separate batteries to run my lights, i run two 35w 7″ HID euro beams, they have always been enough light for where i drive.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I run my spotlight off my 24v trolling motor batteries. Kind of nice that you can run my spot in 12 or 24v.

Even though it draws so little, why add another drain to my two starting batteries.

Jonesy

Only docking lights are allowed? That’s just nuts….. I am going to get a ticket for securing my safety on the river? Is it just because of Barges?

Anyhow rant over, I use 55W HID’s mounted on the front of my boat. It was like $100 for the pair or something like that. HID’s will be less draw to the battery. I think I have the euro pair which is half spot half flood.

They work great – however, no one should be open throttle driving at night regardless of the lights you have.

My guess would be that it’s that way because while it enhances your safety it can be a concern for other boaters who would be night blinded.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.