Non-Designated Trout Lakes

• brandmoney

The itch for ice fishing is getting greater and greater with every passing day. There’s a lake not to far from where I live that is listed as a non-designated trout lake, so can I fish it before actual stream trout season opens? Not planning on keeping anything.

I can’t seem to find anything on the DNR website about the matter.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

From what I know, you can still fish them, just not for trout. If a CO thinks you’re targeting trout (even catch and release) you can still get a fine. If you do accidentally catch a trout it has to be “Immediately released” according to MN DNR… If that means take a quick picture I have no idea but sounds like it’s up for interpretation.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Designated trout lakes are just that, designated for trout only. They may have other fish but you cannot legally fish them for any species outside the designated trout lake seasons.

A non-designated trout lake is the same as fishing a lake in April for crappies when it has walleyes, pike and bass.

As the previous poster said, you cannot legally target a fish out of season. Doesn’t matter what it is. Incidental catches are obviously ok and you must return them to the water. The DNR does state that you can legally take pictures so long as return it immediately to the water. It can’t be put in your livewell, you can’t leave it flopping on shore or the ice for 5 minutes. The DNR will think you have put it in your “possession”.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.