Noise law on the water

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

A buddy asked if I could design and build him some subwoofers for his pontoon. I am not a big fan of people blaring music on the water. I love audio. Just not on the water. I like it quite when I am fishing. No muskie metal. What is the law on how loud you can play music on the water? This must be the first time I am trying to talk someone into using smaller subwoofers. No reason for 24” hitting 140+ dB, creating ripples across the lake, when you can only go to XXdB.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Looks like most regs are related to motor noise levels. (Had me curious. Needed to look it up.)

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/p-gen6-01.pdf

How loud can a boat be in Minnesota?
    (2) for marine engines or motorboats manufactured on or after January 1, 1982, a noise level of 82 decibels on the A scale measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorboat or equivalent noise levels at other distances as specified by the commissioner in a pass-by test or 84 decibels on the A scale measured at idle.

BTW, there are plenty of OTC sub woofer and driver packages out there. No need to build one. Like this one for example. Sub woofer with amp in easy to install package.

http://www.amazon.com/Skar-Audio-SK10TBV-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B09VBFRXZ1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=10RMNHCGF0ZX7&keywords=subwoofer%2Bfor%2Bboats&qid=1703780464&sprefix=sub%2Bwoofer%2Bfor%2Bboats%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-1-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

-J.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If there is a Noise level law, Its like a lot of other laws, never enforced. Almost every Wake boat I encounter on the water has music playing so loud that I’m sure everyone on board has permanent Hearing damage. To make matters worse, its seem like its always crappy Rap music.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If there is a Noise level law, Its like a lot of other laws, never enforced. Almost every Wake boat I encounter on the water has music playing so loud that I’m sure everyone on board has permanent Hearing damage. To make matters worse, its seem like its always crappy Rap music.

Same, can’t stand it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

a noise level of 82 decibels on the A scale measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorboat

82 dB @ 50’ would be 106 dB @ 1 meter. I didn’t even think you could go that loud. One of the things I want to try is designing it with multiple subs that will cancel each other out. Not sure if that is possible.
    The problem with most OTC sub is they are made with MDF. MDF and water don’t like each other.

I agree Fishthumper.

Musky Ed

Just say no if you really don’t agree with it. Why on earth would you support something you are totally against and help to subject that on others?
    If he truely is a real friend, he’ll understand and respect your opinion and seek out someone else to do it.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Build them and let him worry about it.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Just ask the Wake boaters…..

MX1825

If there is a Noise level law, Its like a lot of other laws, never enforced. Almost every Wake boat I encounter on the water has music playing so loud that I’m sure everyone on board has permanent Hearing damage.

What??? whistling

Coletrain27

i would rather listen to a generator run on the ice compared to loud crappy music jester

blackbay
    mn

Most of the water laws are actually local ordinances such as speed, time of operation, engine size, direction of travel etc. I’d check with the municipality or sheriff where your friend usually uses his boat.

FWIW the link that Jon posted only applied to how loud a boat motor is, not how loud the radio is.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You mean to tell me you guys don’t like to listen to too short from my boat while I’m jigging? That’ll be my new trick when boats come to close. Either some too short or ill go way opposite of rap and blare some death metal

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

That would be nice to have although like most regs, it would never get enforced. I go on the water to get away from people like that and it sucks that these wake boats have powerful sound systems now too. Good thing I fish mostly on weekday mornings.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

I don’t like to listen to crappy rap music or dumb ass country music. they are both equally bad.

Deuces

F it, send it!

Never saw a system wout volume control, they can keep it low…

My only concern is w the power required and making sure it’s all safe.

lol

LabDaddy1

You mean to tell me you guys don’t like to listen to too short from my boat while I’m jigging? That’ll be my new trick when boats come to close. Either some too short or ill go way opposite of rap and blare some death metal

My man. Lol. Too short… not too many know of that one…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

My man. Lol. Too short… not too many know of that one…

Lol every once and a while I like to jam the old stuff. Not often but when I do, I jam. What about some prof. I’d jam that every once and a while as well but that’s not a oldie.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That is awesome Deuces.

I have designed systems in the past that have had cancelation going on that was taken out. I did some research on how to design a system to do this and I don’t think I can. So I told my buddy I will not make it for him and won’t install one on his pontoon. I don’t want more noise on the water. Even if it is on a lake that I am not on. I am all about people having a good time. But your good time should not make everyone else miserable.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Fun nazi

rotflol
    I have 27 new 12” friends going into the pool room that disagree. A total of 14,877 cm2 of moving cone area in a 1627 ft3 room should be fun. I will let you know when they are in. Pulled x3 dedicated 20 amp breakers for it last night. (After testing they will be EQ not to bother the neighbors.)

Attachments:
    1. make-it-move-scaled.jpg

Riverrat

Think I’m going to have to build a couple PVC enclosures and put em in a little boat to drown out all the negative nancies and their boat noise while im quietly enjoying peaceful nature from shore. Dont worry though I listen to a variety of music so right after Big Booty B*tches Dwight will come on. I think I got some ACDC on the playlist too. Seriously though if your going to build it consider expanded pvc sheets instead of mdf.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.