No fish is worth it!

• fygr8

Went out and checked ice on 3 different lakes(less than 150 acres) and a single jab of the spud would go thru the multiple layers of terrible ice. The fish will have to wait to wrestle with me!

fygr8

Hayward area

bigpike

Thats wierd. Most lakes in the phillips area has fishable ice. 1000 acre solberg is 90% covered and has 4″ in most spots. Crappie town on elk lake had 6 portables on it- 35′ out there….

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

A good chisel will go thru 3 inches of ice without much muscle.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I was in the McGregor MN area and just checked the ice on a couple small lakes (less than 50ac) and found 4-5″. Although… I was along shore on one lake next to a brushy slough. I was thinking the slough was probably not safe for foot travel yet and proceeded to put my next step in thigh deep water.

fygr8

This has been the worst year for making ice. New heavy wet snow on top of existing poor ice has made things worse.
    Just read this news this morning:

CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (WEAU) — 6:50 p.m.

Two men died on Sunday after falling through the ice on a lake in Chippewa County.

According to a release from the Chippewa County Sherriff’s Department, a 33-year-old male from Bloomer and a 76-year-old male from Chippewa Falls had fallen through ice on Glen Loch Lake, near the Ojibwa Golf Course.

Along with the Chippewa County Sheriff’s Office, crews from Eagle Point Fire Department, Eagle Point first responders, Chippewa Falls Fire Department, Chippewa Falls Medic units, Mayo One Helicopter and the Chippewa Fire District Dive Team responded to the call.

One man was fully submerged and trapped under the ice, while the other individual was partially in the water. Both subjects were transported by ground ambulance to area hospitals, where they were later pronounced dead.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing. The Chippewa County Sheriff’s office reminds everyone to be cautious on area waters due to unseasonably warm weather.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Two men died on Sunday after falling through the ice on a lake in Chippewa County.

Read that last night…can’t stress it enough, be careful. Ice conditions vary WIDELY within the same small geographic areas. Some guys on here have the impression I’m fishing sketchy ice; truth is I’m a chicken and won’t walk on less that 3″-4″ of decent ice. I’ve spent WAY more time looking for ice this year than fishing it, and that’ll continue until it’s thicker everywhere.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Sad loss of 2 fellow fisherman, Glen Loch is very shallow but contains springs. Prayers to the families.

Josh Bothum

A good chisel will go thru 3 inches of ice without much muscle.

Really? … I must not be using mine right then… With one strike?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

fygr8 wrote:

Guys, the header on this post hits the nail right on the head. The 33 year old in the story is the nephew of the gal I sit next to at work.

Couple years back someone gave me a phrase that speaks well. In the winter we risk our life for fish we wouldn’t keep in the summer.

My auger is going to stay dry for a little longer this year. Maybe I’ll stop complaining too, this puts things into perspective.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Hawg that was a sorry reply. I personally will never knock anyone for taking the safe road when it comes to ice safety. If you check the ice and there is 3″ good deal but his statement said it went through multi layers of ice. Maybe I’m wrong but that would tell me there are thin layer with water in between, in my book probably isn’t safe.
    fygr8 you can only make the decision for yourself no one else should. If the little voice inside your head is saying don’t do it it would be a good idea to listen to it.
    When I here someone has lost there life due to poor judgment my thoughts do not go out to them but to there loved ones and friends that have to deal with the loss. Also to the first responders and dive team that have to risk there well being because of a bad decision.
    There is no guaranteed safe ice but there is questionable ice that maybe we could live another day to fish.

fygr8

I would never fish ice that can be jabbed thru with one punch. Better days are coming, especially since the forecasters missed big time and left the Hayward area with hardly a skiff. Be smart and be safe!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.