No fish, but the colors are nice

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Ma and I hit the cabin for a couple days. We came home yesterday and I got this shot coming to the lake off Highway 3 just out of Two Harbors. The color up there right now is the best I have seen possibly ever.

The trout season was re-opened/extended for two more weeks starting Monday the 12th according to a local but it didn’t do me any good while casting the breakwater. I saw a couple lakers caught but they were small. The salmon have yet to show up but some steelhead are seeing hooks. I did connect on a whitefish for a short few seconds before the hooks pulled.

The wind was an issue for the couple days I fished. Then the temperatures decided to check into the low 30’s for lows and only in the 40’s for daytime temps. I didn’t have the clothes along to handle those temps so Ma and I enjoyed the colors and critters. No bear or deer in the yard but grey fox [plural] put on a great show in the back yard a couple of times. The coyote population must have taken a hit because we’ve seen a huge up-tick in the fox numbers this summer/fall. If we have lots of coyotes, we don’t see many fox or wolves. I’ve seen several wolves this fall traveling into town or back to the cabin, mostly daytime so I know they’re numbers are up. I’ve heard that wolves dine on coyotes. Now if we could only find something to dine on the wolves AND coyotes. lol

The colors though are beautiful this fall. The weather up there has been calling for some fall rains this weekend along with wind so the color that’s there will probably be done in by next week.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1507_1.jpg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Nice pic Tom. Our daughter got married at Larsmont Cottages just south of Two Harbors a few weeks ago and the colors were pretty nice then.

Have you ever fished the Temperance river? We’re heading back in a week. I know it’s a little further north.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I don’t fish many of the rivers unless I happen to get up there early in the spring when the loopers and steelhead can be found in some of the rivers. There doesn’t seem to be much of a fall run on kings and cohos since Minnesota canned the stocking program for those fish. I like casting the breakwater more than anything except being on the lake in a boat.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.