No Deer Carcass to MN

• sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

So I just see this in email today. Going to be hard to cut and wrap coming back from WI north woods. The fear of CWD runs strong.

DNR NEWS – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Changes affect how deer carcasses can enter Minnesota

Starting this fall, hunters can no longer bring whole deer carcasses into Minnesota from anywhere in North America. This restriction includes all members of the deer family (deer, elk, moose and caribou).

Previously, the restriction only applied to animals harvested in areas of North America where chronic wasting disease (CWD) has been known to occur.

“We are making this change to respond to the increasing prevalence and geographic spread of CWD,” said Adam Murkowski, Big Game Program leader with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

The disease is always fatal and infected deer can appear healthy. Live animal testing is still in development.

Starting this fall, hunters may bring only the following parts into Minnesota, regardless of where the animal was harvested outside of the state:

Meat that is boned out or that is cut and wrapped (either commercially or privately).
    Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached.
    Hides and teeth.
    Antlers or clean skull plates (no brain tissue attached) with antlers attached.
    Finished taxidermy mounts.
    Nonresidents transporting whole or partial carcasses on a direct route through Minnesota are exempt from this restriction; however, similar restrictions exist in all surrounding states.

The 2016 Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook states that this rule is likely to be in place (pages 2 and 62). This rule has been finalized and is in place for the fall of 2016.

More information about CWD testing is available at http://www.mndnr.gov/hunting/deer/cwd.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s huge for me. My cabin is in Wi and I bring deer back to Woodbury to butcher in my garage. I doubt I would follow this one.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Same here. Time for more tarps.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a topper so nobody has ever known I had one back there anyways. This one is a no-brainer for me.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Not too tough to do this was a rule a few years ago. Bone out and bring back to still butcher at home.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

For you guys that butcher your own deer in MN what to you do with the carcasses? From what I understand it has to be treated the same as Bio-hazardous material so you can not just through it in the trash.

Keppinhiemer

This law is to protect our Minnesota deer. CWD is no joke and im surprised to hear that so many people on here are so fast to disregard a regulation that is clearly put in place to protect local wildlife. I do not think they are asking to much to leave the spine and brain where it came from. it only takes a small amount of extra effort to skin and debone the deer on site. In my opinion this law is a hassle but it makes sense and I will be taking the time to properly dress my out of state kills this fall.
    My 2 cents

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

This law is to protect our Minnesota deer. CWD is no joke and im surprised to hear that so many people on here are so fast to disregard a regulation that is clearly put in place to protect local wildlife. I do not think they are asking to much to leave the spine and brain where it came from. it only takes a small amount of extra effort to skin and debone the deer on site. In my opinion this law is a hassle but it makes sense and I will be taking the time to properly dress my out of state kills this fall.
    My 2 cents

I could not agree more! waytogo

Pete S

My 2 cents

Shocking!! For those who are going to ignore the rule changes, you ok with me dumping my livewells from a zebra mussel infested lake into your lake? We own land in some of the prime CWD zones in SW WI, it sucks. Testing every deer you shoot is way more of a hassle than the 20 minutes it takes to bone out a deer

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Like a deer knows a boundary. Good thinking.

I understand the concept but think its about like pissing on a forest fire. Maybe Minnesota should pull a Trump and build a fence between the states and make Wisconsin pay for it.

Pete S

I understand the concept but think its about like pissing on a forest fire. Maybe Minnesota should pull a Trump and build a fence between the states and make Wisconsin pay for it.

except the deer or elk could come from SD, ND, IL, WY, CO to name a few (did I mention north of Rochester). ignoring the issue is like pissing on an electric fence.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>

except the deer or elk could come from SD, ND, IL, WY, CO to name a few (did I mention north of Rochester). ignoring the issue is like pissing on an electric fence.

The point here Pete, is that these are wild animals being hunted, not penned animals. These wild critters move freely between states and recognize no boundaries so carriers of the disease come and go all the time. Its like the zebra mussels…..they move on their own too as well as by other means not at all at the fault of humans.

I don’t hunt out of state so this doesn’t bother me in the least other than being baseless. My carcass goes right back out to a farm near where I get it and is hung as winter bird food. Or crow / coyote bait. Either way, there’s never anything but some random bones when the critters get done with it.

Pete S

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pete S wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>

The point here Pete, is that these are wild animals being hunted, not penned animals. These wild critters move freely between states and recognize no boundaries so carriers of the disease come and go all the time. Its like the zebra mussels…..they move on their own too as well as by other means not at all at the fault of humans.

I don’t hunt out of state so this doesn’t bother me in the least other than being baseless. My carcass goes right back out to a farm near where I get it and is hung as winter bird food. Or crow / coyote bait. Either way, there’s never anything but some random bones when the critters get done with it.

Tom, trust me when I tell you that if and when a neighbor or a neighbors neighbor (remember, deer don’t know boundaries) brings a deer from Iowa, Richland, Sauk, Dane, Columbia county WI, you will start to care. this is bigger than you and your yote bait

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

In all the years I hunted out west and brought deer home from other states I can’t recall an instance where a resident Minnesota deer came along and licked or kissed one of those we came home with. And it takes contact with a diseased animal to transmit the disease….or a shared food/water source, but dead deer don’t use either of those.

I’m of the belief that chronic wasting disease is prevalent enough in wild deer herds that any spread will be done more seriously by free range animals wandering thru new areas than by hunters toting a dead animal home in a vehicle. If chronic wasting disease is going to show up around here it will come here via live animals, not dead, gutted, carcasses carried inside an enclosed vehicle. Somewhere here there has to be some common sense applied to this. This is the same crapola “the sky is falling” type of ploy that’s been used with invasive water denizens where some people trip all over themselves to comply while most others will treat this like the sss wolf issue and not cause any harm at all.

Pete S

Tom, if you look at a CWD map, there are large geographical gaps between the areas where cwd exists. It is obviously being spread through other methods than two deer licking each other’s face.

If you think it takes contact with an infected animal to be transferred you are flat out wrong. Ignorance will not make this go away no matter how deep you dig your head in the sand.

Iowaboy1

in school many,many years ago,we were taught the survival of the fittest,thats how nature worked,disease,predation,etc.

now,its a catastrophe when nature takes care of its own,and we are to blame.
    look at the zika virus today,what?two hundred people are affected in the U.S.??
    sure,its bad for newborns,but we are spending millions and millions of dollars on something if left alone will in due time run its course.

I have lyme disease,I deal with it,when its time for me to go,its time for me to go,wouldnt want to live forever anyway,its life,plain and simple.
    ( like dad used to say,death is like going to the restroom,when ya gotta go,ya gotta go )

I look at it this way,( and yes,I believe a real problem is a real problem )
    ITS TAX TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and,lets look for a way to end hunting so there is no reason to own a hunting weapon.

okay,wadded up and threw my tinfoil hat away for now.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

and,lets look for a way to end hunting so there is no reason to own a hunting weapon.

Run that statement past our Feds & Native America…

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

In all the years I hunted out west and brought deer home from other states I can’t recall an instance where a resident Minnesota deer came along and licked or kissed one of those we came home with. And it takes contact with a diseased animal to transmit the disease….or a shared food/water source, but dead deer don’t use either of those.

I’m of the belief that chronic wasting disease is prevalent enough in wild deer herds that any spread will be done more seriously by free range animals wandering thru new areas than by hunters toting a dead animal home in a vehicle. If chronic wasting disease is going to show up around here it will come here via live animals, not dead, gutted, carcasses carried inside an enclosed vehicle. Somewhere here there has to be some common sense applied to this. This is the same crapola “the sky is falling” type of ploy that’s been used with invasive water denizens where some people trip all over themselves to comply while most others will treat this like the sss wolf issue and not cause any harm at all.

I agree. The odds of a deer carcass “spreading” CWD via “transport” to another deer are the same or worse than winning the lottery. “Common sense”….??

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

“If you think it takes contact with an infected animal to be transferred you are flat out wrong.”….Pete

This is what I said Pete. Read it all. “And it takes contact with a diseased animal to transmit the disease….or a shared food/water source“.

The stuff doesn’t blow around on the wind. It takes contact of some sort to pass it on. Maybe it would help you a little to look at CWD like AIDS. We have millions of AIDS carriers all over the world. Its a contact disease. It doesn’t blow around on nice summer breezes. It requires contact by mucus membranes, blood or spit. CWD is the same as far as transmission. A gutted out dead animal in a motor vehicle or covered trailer is not going to pass CWD on as long as the blood is contained within the conveyance. Lay the critter on newspaper that have been spread across a tarp or plastic sheeting large enough to fit under the entire animal and there’ll be no chance of that spilling out on the highways traveled and even if it does it would require that another, live, deer come directly in contact with that spill. Want to take a shot at those odds?

Stop and think about the Minnesota deer herd on the big picture side. Wolf numbers are a bigger threat in the state as a whole than CWD. If CWD is going to be controlled at all stock tanks and watering ponds would have to be made deer proof as would any corn storage [bin type] and large bale storage on farms or sales facilties in deer country. And where isn’t it deer country? I live in town and see deer in our back yard weekly.

CWD is here and not going anywhere so if you want to help prevent the spread, don’t hunt where YOU become a means of transmission. Simple. But if you are hunting in areas where the disease is present, keep the carcass inside a pick-up bed or trailer and make sure something is under it to sop up any drainage so it isn’t dripping on roadways. Simple. And as far as disposing of the carcass and bones, putting it in the garbage where it can be burned in a waste to energy facility is smarter than any other way to take care of it. Sort of meets the bio-hazard disposal mentioned earlier. I don’t hunt in a CWD area so I hang my left-overs for other wildlife to enjoy.

Its simple common sense. If the government dealt with common sense we’d have a healthy deer herd throughout the state and wolves would have numbers about 90% less than what we have. Mille Lacs would not be closed to fishing for walleyes because native netting would not be an issue. And the brain dead landing monitors spread across the state supposedly ending the spread of AIS would be at home playing video games and the state saving a lot of money. CWD falls right in line with all of these examples and those who choose to think otherwise are those with sand in their ears.

Pete S

This is what I said Pete. Read it all. “And it takes contact with a diseased animal to transmit the disease….or a shared food/water source“.

and if an infected animal is dumped in your area, the prions can last for years once in the soil. This can contaminate grass, water, mineral licks, etc.

I don’t hunt in a CWD area so I hang my left-overs for other wildlife to enjoy.

and if your neighbor hunted Iowa County WI you would have no problem if they did the same with theirs?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

My neighbors don’t hunt so no I wouldn’t give a rip.

Go enjoy your heartburn over this. I’m going to enjoy a football game or two.

CaptainMusky

Is this MN’s way of trying to keep deer hunters in state vs traveling elsewhere? coffee

Buffalo Fishhead

Some of you should become educated on CWD and how impossible it is to eradicate the prion (mutated protein) that causes CWD.

Deer herds in research pens at Colorado State University contacted CWD. They removed the deer and treated the soil in the pens and surrounding areas with materials that normally kill any organisms that come in contact with the materials. They waited 6 years before putting deer back into those pens. When they did, the deer contacted CWD from the prions that persisted in the soil. There is no treatment for CWD at this time.

So, if you transport brain and spinal column tissues into an area that does not have CWD and just throw it into the woods or even bury it, there is a chance (it may be a remote chance, but why take it) you could be introducing CWD into the area. That is why the regulations and laws regarding CWD are in place.

Unfortunately, the leading CWD researcher in the world, Dr. Beth Williams tragically died in an automobile accident a few years ago south of Laramie, WY.

BuffaloFishHead

kane

Cwd is joke so u people that back the DNR on this give it up. These are wild animal’s they build immunities to this stuff. Brain worms used to kill deer to but they built immunities to that. Wis has one of the greatest deer populations in the country. So shut up already about the cwd and enjoys the outdoors and the sport we love. Minnesota rules and regs on alot of different topics suck and don’t make sense.

kane

And u people talk about zebra mussels. That’s a joke to u can’t stop the spread of things like that by emptying live wells. Slow it down maybe but it’s impossible to stop. It’s just a way the DNR make more money. Go ahead and get madd about whT I’m saying but then look at the facts and let me know how the preventive spread attempt vis going DNR is failing miserably at that.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.