No Deer Carcass Rule

• sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Anyone else see this news today? I posted on hunting side too. Going to be hard to cut and wrap on the side of the road coming home from a week in WI north woods. Have to pull my drain plug so dirty water can leak out but don’t let your deer leak brains..

DNR NEWS – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Changes affect how deer carcasses can enter Minnesota

Starting this fall, hunters can no longer bring whole deer carcasses into Minnesota from anywhere in North America. This restriction includes all members of the deer family (deer, elk, moose and caribou).

Previously, the restriction only applied to animals harvested in areas of North America where chronic wasting disease (CWD) has been known to occur.

“We are making this change to respond to the increasing prevalence and geographic spread of CWD,” said Adam Murkowski, Big Game Program leader with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

The disease is always fatal and infected deer can appear healthy. Live animal testing is still in development.

Starting this fall, hunters may bring only the following parts into Minnesota, regardless of where the animal was harvested outside of the state:

Meat that is boned out or that is cut and wrapped (either commercially or privately).
    Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached.
    Hides and teeth.
    Antlers or clean skull plates (no brain tissue attached) with antlers attached.
    Finished taxidermy mounts.
    Nonresidents transporting whole or partial carcasses on a direct route through Minnesota are exempt from this restriction; however, similar restrictions exist in all surrounding states.

The 2016 Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook states that this rule is likely to be in place (pages 2 and 62). This rule has been finalized and is in place for the fall of 2016.

More information about CWD testing is available at http://www.mndnr.gov/hunting/deer/cwd.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

This has been the rule for the past few years going the other way (transporting deer into WI). Definitely requires another planning consideration.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Just have to take the butcher gear with on all my out of state hunts.

David Blais

So how do you get a shoulder mount of an out of state deer?? Get it done in that state?

David Blais

And if your getting your head boiled out from that state, where does the license stay, with the antlers or the meat??

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

So how do you get a shoulder mount of an out of state deer?? Get it done in that state?

That’s what I was just thinking

Aaron

Just have to become a pro at caping animals out, or take it to a taxidermy in the state you harvested and pay them to cape it out for you? I think those would be your only option.

basseyes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>David Blais wrote:</div>

Just have to become a pro at caping animals out, or take it to a taxidermy in the state you harvested and pay them to cape it out for you? I think those would be your only option.

Agreed, but like was already asked, where does the tag go? Do out state taxidermists have to have the tag or just the license number and harvest information?

I like my euro-mounts, now I’ve got to leave that with an in state taxidermist and wait for it to get shipped to me vs doing it at home? Man this is going to affect local taxidermists and their clientele that hunt out state.

Understand it but what a butt ox pain.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Boy deer must really pickup stuff from carcass,you know how the live deer go into your garage and eat the hanging deer. What stupid rule

Mwal

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Boy deer must really pickup stuff from carcass,you know how the live deer go into your garage and eat the hanging deer. What stupid rule

Mwal

I know that the term LOL is very overused, but that actually made me laugh out loud.

munchy
    NULL

Mwal

Agreed. I was just about to ask how other deer come in contact with the carcass? Other than if the hunter leaves the Wisconsin deer remains in Minnesota woods, but that should be illegal anyway.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

http://cwd-info.org/faq/ We pay people to make these rules and do these studies–right??

It is not known exactly how CWD is transmitted. The infectious agent may be passed in feces, urine or saliva. Transmission is thought to be lateral (from animal to animal). Although maternal transmission (from mother to fetus) may occur, it appears to be relatively unimportant in maintaining epidemics. The minimal incubation period between infection and development of clinical disease appears to be approximately 16 months. The maximal incubation period is unknown, as is the point at which shedding of the CWD agent begins during the prolonged course of infection.

Because CWD infectious agents are extremely resistant in the environment, transmission may be both direct and indirect. Concentrating deer and elk in captivity or by artificial feeding probably increases the likelihood of both direct and indirect transmission between individuals. Contaminated pastures appear to have served as sources of infection in some CWD epidemics. The apparent persistence of the infectious agents in contaminated environments represents a significant obstacle to eradication of CWD from either captive or free-ranging cervid populations.

The movement of live animals is one of the greatest risk factors in spreading the disease into new areas. Natural movements of wild deer and elk contribute to the spread of the disease, and human-aided transportation of both captive and wild animals greatly exacerbates this risk factor. The apparent spread of CWD between captive and wild cervids is a matter of hot debate. Although strong circumstantial evidence suggests that CWD has spread from positive captive elk to wild cervids in some instances, it may never be proven which group of animals represents the source of infection. It is likely that the disease has been passed in both directions (from captive to wild animals, and from wild to captive animals).

riverruns
    Inactive

And think of all the hunters going out west hunting that travel through MN are affected? If you have to travel though MN is this legal to travel through?

David Blais

If you read above, traveling through Minnesota on a direct route is allowed..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.