New Year's Resolution – Son's First Plane Ride on a Floatplane

• Tony Capecchi

My New Year’s Resolution for 2019 is to make sure my son’s first time on an airplane is a float plane for a Canada fishing trip. I mean, what better way (or more important reason) is there for a kid to fly than into the Canadian wilderness on a fishing trip with his dad?

In this case, his grandpa, too. I’m taking my dad and son to Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge in Manitoba this summer. Just told my Dad at Christmas as a gift for him.

Will spend a night or two in Winnipeg or closer to the Silver Falls base camp and then Joe (age 5 next summer) can step onto the plane for his first time.

Can’t wait for this summer!

Iowaboy1

I am so jealous !! tell the young one I will trade a whole case of pop rocks if I can take his place!

might want to check the pilots credentials,make sure he has plenty of flying hours under his belt.
    when I was little and took my first airplane ride the pilot was fresh out of flight school.
    he didnt have many hours and was very nervous about the plane we were getting into.
    we had a good strong headwind straight down the runway but we had a heck of a time getting off of the ground,mind you it took three attempts to do this.
    once we did the plane struggled with all of its might to gain any altitude at all.

once I knew I could let go of the death grip I had on my seats arm rests I started looking around outside thats when I noticed something odd.
    I looked over at the pilot and asked him when he was going to start the other engine.
    he mumbled something under his breath and tried to act all professional like,let me tell you the plane took off like a rocket once he started that baby up!
    the weather started to get crappy out and the pilot told us he didnt have his instrument rating yet and we needed to get lower so we could find our way there.
    so we bled off altitude and started following the interstate to where we were going.
    gotta tell ya I thought the weather was really bad on the ground the way people were driving,they were darting all over,a couple of fender benders happened and the look on that one semi drivers face said he had just pooped himself from being scared of having a wreck on the interstate.

the pilot said with the extra fuel burn that we needed to taxi up to the gas pumps as quickly as possible or we wouldnt make it to the hangar,now I am nervous all over again wondering if we are going to have enough fuel to even get there.
    we set up the landing approach which went well and looked great,bu it seemed like the plane was much lower to the ground than it was before we took off.
    we skidded up to within ten feet of the gas pumps but the propellers were a mess.
    the pilot was mumbling something about forgetting to put the landing gear down?

non of this is true,I made it up,just thought I would write something silly on a crappy winters day !
    I wish you the best time of your lives !! enjoy every second of it !!
    please post back how you did!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.