New WI Carcass Transport Rules

• catchindeers54
    Anoka county

If i am reading this correctly i can still bring a whole deer across state lines from wisconsin to minnesota as long as i bring it to the butcher within 72 hours?

deertracker

If i am reading this correctly i can still bring a whole deer across state lines from wisconsin to minnesota as long as i bring it to the butcher within 72 hours?

That’s the way I read it.
    DT

Pete S

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>catchindeers54 wrote:</div>

That’s the way I read it.
    DT

I would double check w/the MN regs to be sure. The way I read it is if you bring it from another county it has to be brought to a licensed processor w/in 72 hours. I didn’t see anything about leaving the state with it, once it crosses the border my guess the MN DNR is going to have it’s own set of rules

David Bollig

Minnesota rules do not allow whole carcass import from any state or province.
    It is illegal to import whole deer, elk, moose and caribou carcasses into Minnesota. This prohibition applies to all U.S. states and Canadian provinces, regardless of their CWD status.

This is done as part of a larger strategy to protect Minnesota’s wild deer, elk and moose populations.

Only the following parts can be imported into Minnesota:

Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached.
    Meat that is boned out or that is cut and wrapped (either commercially or privately).
    Hides and teeth.
    Antlers or clean (no brain tissue attached) skull plates with antlers attached.
    Finished taxidermy mounts.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Been hunting cwd Preston area. Carcass cannot leave the zone and just be tested prior to butchering.

Shoot one Saturday, let hang overnight and skin/debone Sunday.

Shoot one Sunday, I have it skinned and deboned within an hour(after testing). Meat in cooler and hit the road!

Not a fan of skinning/deboning warm… But it works just fine.

I always trim cuts later when I’m home, next day. Then freeze until Jan 1 when I’ll take to be processed.

deertracker

I guess I forgot about MN laws. doah
    DT

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I hope more fully staffed testing stations pop up so someone can get there deer tested quickly and without leaving the head behind, so people can continue to home butcher.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

“now been relaxed”

Love how one new law contradicts an old law. At least someone addressed it on this one

Quartering Your Deer
    While hunters previously were able to quarter a deer while afield, those restrictions have
    now been relaxed in response to the new carcass movement regulations. Deer may now be
    divided into more than five pieces and the head no longer must remain attached to one of
    those pieces. Additionally, deer carcass parts may now be left in the field. This is including
    on lands that are state-owned or state-managed. As in the past, deer that have been quartered
    may be transported out of a CWD-affected county.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Well now these new rules are “suspended” so it’s back to the way it was for WI. So maybe I will be able to process a deer at home this year.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.