New Truck – 1 ton or 3/4 ton?

• toddrun

I know this subject has been beaten around for ages, and I have read a ton of stuff online, just looking for real world advice/opinions. My wife and I are on pace to retire possibly next year and with the lake home market skyrocketing we have decided to spend the first few years of retirement traveling in an RV across country, until we can find a retirement lake home at a reasonable price, if that ever happens. Well we have made the decision to go with a tow camper over a motorhome, mostly so we have an easier commuter vehicle when we get to a destination, the truck, rather than towing a car. Still debating 5th wheel (most likely) vs. bumper pull, but that doesn’t really matter on this decision. We decided my 11 year old Avalanche, even though I love it, really is not optimum for cross country towing, so I am looking for a new truck.

I was looking for a 3/4 ton, just don’t think 1/2 tons are made for doing any heavy lifting anymore, more of a commuter truck for city folk, but at the dealers they are all pushing a 1 ton. I know the main reason, they can get 1 tons on the lot, where 3/4 tons are harder to find, but they also say it is just better for towing with a stronger stiffer frame. Plus the bonus of licensing, where it is a $100 year flat rate for a 1 ton and likely over $600 year for the 3/4 ton.

Anyways, for you guys pulling RV’s, or boats, or bigger trailers, and have experience between 3/4 ton and 1 ton, is there really a big difference? Does the casual ride of the 1 ton get unbearable unloaded? Or when I find the right truck, 3/4 ton or 1 ton, there is not enough difference to worry about it? I am leaning 5th wheel, but have not made that decision yet, if you have opinions on that?

I sold myself on going diesel for the first time, so that decision is made. Leaning GM, I like GMC’s, but am open to Ford or Ram. My company has supplier discount on GM and Ram, so most likely one of those. My research tells me the GM is kind of at the bottom of the barrel currently, with Ford on top for ride and comfort, while Ram is on top for pure pulling power. But my opinion is that they are all so close, just find the one I like and buy it, no brand loyalty.

Any opinions appreciated.

mojogunter

I have had several 3/4 tons and just switched to a 1 ton in January. They have all been Ram’s. The 3500 does have leaf springs in the back where the 2500 has coil springs. I would say the 3500 does have a rougher ride on a bumpy road, but the 2500 wasn’t smooth either. Normal driving both ride fine, they don’t ride anything like a half ton. Mileage is really about the same. I do really like the 3500 for plowing more because the plow doesn’t squat nearly as much. The license fee in MN of $120 a year for the 3500 versus $700 for the 2500 was a huge plus. If you are going to pull something really heavy then go with the 3500. My boat trailer is rated for 5700# and both trucks pulled it without effort.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

IMHO – In a blind test a person couldn’t tell the difference.
    I have a Ram because of the Cummins but the biggest reason I chose the Ram is because it’s the only one that has a Mega cab. We haul a bunch of critters back and forth to the cabin and when the back seats are folded down I swear you can put a queen size mattress back there.

tornadochaser

Are you selecting your camper based on your truck’s capability, or are you selecting a truck to pull a camper you already have in mind?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Tornado is correct. You are looking at it backwards. You need to find the camper first and then the truck to handle it. A fifth wheel pulls and handles easier than a bumper pull. The fifth wheels gernerally are heavier and longer. If you get a fifth wheel and a short box truck be sure to get the appropriate fifth wheel hookup so you don’t jack knife the trailer and crush the corners of both truck & trailer.
    You also need to take into consideration the size of the camper spots relative to your camper. It’s easy to buy 40′ trailers, not so easy to get them in and out of some campground sites.

Find the camper first. Then buy a 1 ton to drag it with.

toddrun

On the camper, I don’t want to go over 30′, but we are still looking. And I understand a 30′ bumper pull makes for a lot longer total length when hooked to a truck than a 5th wheel. I have a lot of experience towing trailers, so don’t really have worry about that part. And since this will be a new truck and trailer, I will purchase all of the correct hitch products needed to pull it right.

I have to go drive a Ram, see what that is all about. I have ridden in a lot of GM’s and Ford’s, but don’t think I have ever ridden in a Ram.

Cummins vs. Duramax vs. Powerstroke – not sure any has a real advantage. I do like the Allison 10 speed transmission though.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Dodge has the best motor, chevy probably the best trans and well ford might just be the best at being average on all of it, not really a knock on ford even though I’m usually not much of a fan of them in general but they seem to work fine. As far as differences between 1ton and 3/4, the frames to my knowledge are the same, just heavier brake and suspension packages. Also if your considering it for the towing part alone maybe a dually? More than you want when not towing but is awesome when you are.

Travis Sims

I run a 3/4 ton GMC, my friend has a 1 ton. They are really pretty similar, but I notice the ride is better in the 3/4 ton when empty. No real difference pulling.

1 tons have heavier springs/shocks/brakes is really the only difference, If it’s going to be your daily driver as well, I would probably go with the 3/4 ton just because of the smoother ride when empty.

Licensing is the other thing to take into consideration. 1 ton is quite a bit cheaper, at least in MN.

Fuel mileage is a bit better in the 3/4 ton empty, but I think that’s just due to the 1 ton sitting a bit higher, towing they are pretty much the same.

More comes down to how much weight you plan to pull, over 16k gets to be the limits of 3/4 tons so if you think you’ll be pulling more than that you might as well pull the trigger on the 1 ton.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

In my experience chevy/gmc has always been top in ride comfort. Get a 3/4 ton if you can get away with it. It all comes down to how much weight you’re going to be pulling. I have lots of experience in dodges and chevys. The dodges have problems in the first 30k miles it seems like. Usually trans problems or the knuckles go out in first 30k.
    Duramax makes a good motor without much for issues in new models. Allison trans is undoubtly the best in the market. I can’t speak for ford’s much. I’ve only driven a couple powerstrokes, not a very smooth ride but these were 2015 to 2018 trucks. Not sure on their current ones.

Adam Steffes

I would say get a 1 ton if in minnesota. There is no difference in the fords as far as frame, powertrain, cooling, cab, brakes, etc. its all identical. Only difference is rear leaf spring setup between single axle 350 and a 250. In my opinion the PSD is way better than the dirtymax or the cummins. Much more power on the PSD and the trans works better, has full manual shift option, etc.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d agree with some of the other posters…..depends on the trailer. My folks pull a 34′ camper (might be 36′) and went from a 3/4 GMC to a 1 ton Ram. The GMC had a bunch of issues with the rear end for some reason….I don’t think it’s very common. Pulling that camper with the 1 ton is much better mainly due to the beefier suspension.

Their Ram has been bulletproof but I think th brand is more a personal preference thing. The megacab is nice.

Their camper is for sale if you have an interest……PM and I can connect you with my dad.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Don’t know about owning 3/4 vs 1 ton capability but it used to be if the trucks GVW was over 10k you had to have a Federal DOT number. Is that still a law on the books? 1 ton’s were all rated over 10k.

Coletrain27

If you plan on driving this truck around town as a daily driver at all I would definetly not get a 1 ton. They ride rough as hell. I would do a 3/4 ton and put air bags in the back. That’s what I did and it rides a lot smoother than a one ton and I could still haul anything I wanted

MNdrifter

I do like the Allison 10 speed transmission though.

Speaking from experience, it is awesome! It shifts so smooth. As far as ride, I’ve had several 1/2 tons and went to a 1 ton diesel. I’m pleasantly surprised in my Chevy. Rides pretty good.

Adam Steffes

I think the chevy rides the best empty or lightly loaded but it gets pitchy when loaded heavy. That IFS is the ticket for less steering feedback and ride harshness.

toddrun

MNDrifter, what year Chevy do you have?

I ask because my research shows a lot of the early ’20 and ’21s had a lot of nuisance issues – squealing brakes, infortainment system glitches, steering column noise, odd little thing but nothing major. Just wondering if all that is worked out now?

Did my inventory search and Ram’s are hard to find. GMC’s are slim, but Chevy’s are available if you can find one that is not sold before it hits the lot. Just not sold enough on a Ford to even look, may be missing out. One Chevy dealer told me he has a waiting list for 1 ton trucks, and even the top of the list is set to a 4 month earliest delivery date. So I may be set to grab whatever I can find a lot?!?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You have your mind set on the Chevy, go scour the planet and find one. Report back. grin

MNdrifter

MNDrifter, what year Chevy do you have?

2020. I bought the first one that dealership sold. I was trying to swipe up the last of the ‘19’s. The new transmission is what sold me. Ended up with the ‘20. So far so good, but it’s pretty much a garage queen. Only have 14K on it. It will be 2 years old I think early September. I did have a sensor on the def system go out. I had it parked on the lake with the nose in the wind in a blizzard on red lake. A bunch of snow packed into the hood scoop. When it melted it burned up the sensor. Warranty covered it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Man this forum is really slipping. 18 posts in and nobody has given the Official IDO Response.

[Begin Official IDO Response]

This is one of those times when you really need to Max it.

3/4 ton???? 1 ton???? What a bunch of pantywaists. Who even buys those light-duty trucks anymore? They’ll be zero resale value on those underpowered lightweights.

Most of the serious trailer towers agree that a 4 ton is basically the bare minimum for the casual RV guy.

Personally, I’m towing with a Peterbilt 579 these days. 500 HP Cummins, don’t even know that 52 foot 5th wheel is back there.

You’ll regret going small with those little grocery getter 3/4 or 1 tons. Those are just really built for suburban soccer moms these days.

[/End Official IDO Response ]

Grouse

blackbay
    mn

Would you suggest a dually Grouse? grin

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

Don’t know about owning 3/4 vs 1 ton capability but it used to be if the trucks GVW was over 10k you had to have a Federal DOT number. Is that still a law on the books? 1 ton’s were all rated over 10k.

If you have not changed your mind and decided to go with the Peterbuilt…..

First – a DOT number is only required if you are over 10k and operating the truck commercially, if it is for personal use it is not needed.

Second – as some others have recommended you should figure out the camper(s) that you are interested in and base your decision, at least in part, on that info. You will be surprised how fast you can exceed GVWR. Typical 5th wheel pin weight is 20% – 25% and travel trailer tongue weight is 10%-15%. I would suggest using trailer GVWR for the calculation. I just bought a 2021 F350 (w/ 7.3l gas) that has a payload of approximately 4100lbs (GVWR = 12,500lbs). All other things being equal, an F250 (GVWR = 10,000lbs) would have an approximate payload of 1600lbs. Payload is anything you haul/hang on the truck – passengers, equipment, 5th wheel hitch/weight distro hitch, pin/hitch weight, etc. A 10,000lb 5th wheel would put approximately 2500+lbs on the truck.

Third – For a travel trailer, verify truck hitch receiver weight ratings. Not sure about non-Ford brands, but it was relatively recently Ford started installing 2.5 and 3 inch receivers that can handle 1500-2000lbs tongue weight.

Finally – Not as smooth as my F-150 but, I am pleased how well the truck rides even with the higher camper package front GAWR.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m having 7,500# bags installed on my F-350 Tuesday. It’s also a 7.3 gas. With the 8′ box the ride is pretty darn good I think.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m having 7,500# bags installed on my F-350 Tuesday. It’s also a 7.3 gas. With the 8′ box the ride is pretty darn good I think.

You got rid of the dodge?

Jason

I would vote for a 1 ton hands down.
    Higher GVWR which is needed for a heavy hitch/pin weight and cheaper plates. I have had both GMCs and Super Dutys. I’m fully converted over to the Fords because of the power, interior, and 48 gallon fuel tank. The 10sp tranny works great. I have been running diesels since ’04 trading up every couple of years with no issues so far. If your pulling heavy and want a higher resale a 1 ton is required.

Attachments:
    1. 16239807123554525263446929578726-scaled.jpg

snelson223
    Austin MN

There has been some talk of Ram putting an Allison transmission in their 3500 trucks in ’22.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

You got rid of the dodge?

Still have the Dodge.

GoldWinger

One important (IMO) consideration is since you are going diesel is to be sure your vehicle is equipped with an engine brake. If your travels ever take you to mountains or even rolling hills you will be very happy you got it. Not all “towing/camper” packages include that.

Towed 38’ 5th Wheel with both 3/4 ton gasser and 1 ton oil burner .. diesel a “must” with larger trailer

Completely agree with above sentiment.. settle on the camper 1st then the tow vehicle

toddrun

Thanks for all the input, great info here. We are pretty locked in on the 5th wheel idea, just have to find a model/floorplan we like. But would like to stay in the 30′-32′ range. From my research, the 1 ton will handle that just fine for most models if not all. Biggest problem on truck is availability at this point, finding it hard to find anything on a lot, and ordering looks to be months out for all brands. If I want a top of the line luxury 1 ton, they can be had, just didn’t want to drop $80k on a truck?!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

One important (IMO) consideration is since you are going diesel is to be sure your vehicle is equipped with an engine brake. If your travels ever take you to mountains or even rolling hills you will be very happy you got it. Not all “towing/camper” packages include that.

Towed 38’ 5th Wheel with both 3/4 ton gasser and 1 ton oil burner .. diesel a “must” with larger trailer

Completely agree with above sentiment.. settle on the camper 1st then the tow vehicle

For the amount of miles they will put on a gasser will do the job. I do agree that if he gets into a large 5th wheel a diesel might justify the additional cost. I’m speaking in the case of a Ford I don’t know about GM products.

The additional ownership costs have closed the gap of gas vs diesel.

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

I just bought a 2021 F350 (w/ 7.3l gas) that has a payload of approximately 4100lbs (GVWR = 12,500lbs). All other things being equal, an F250 (GVWR = 10,000lbs) would have an approximate payload of 1600lbs.

Just realized I had a brain fart earlier. My f-350 gvwr is 11,500 not 12,500. The The delta gvwr is 1500lbs not 2500lbs, therefore the approximate payload would be 2600lbs.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.