New trolling motor set up

• Rick Janssen

I just spent Sat taking off my old trolling motor and installing my NEW Motorguide XI5. I also got a new Lowrance HDS Gen 2 that I hooked into the trolling motor and installed up front (where I do most of my fishing). I took an old Lowrance and moved to the back. I think I will be very happy with the new set up. Can’t wait to get the boat (which was new to me last fall) out and try things out.

Attachments:
    1. photo-2.jpg

2. photo-1.jpg

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Spiffy Rick! I will be doing similar later this week. Obv very excited for the xi5.

Rick, Was there anything out of the ordinary that you ran into that wasn’t clear in the instructions?

sktrwx2200

Funny how some time ago , guys wouldn’t take a free motorguide in the NORTH COUNTRY. It had to be Minnkota.

Now Im jealous that you have one on the front of your boat and not me! Report back on how good it works!

Rick Janssen

the only thing that i did not realize is that I needed a NEMA starter kit AND a Gateway kit. I had purchased the Gayeway kit when I got the trolling motor from Cabela’s but did not get the Starter kit. Had to make a quick order before I could get it hooked up. Also be sure you mount your trolling motor far enough from the boat edge to clear. Instructions say .5″ but when I measured, that was not enough. Check it out by putting down the trolling motor first.

It is kind of a pain putting in the mounting bolts because you either need VERY LONG arms to reach inside to hold the bolts while you tighten, or have a helper. My wife helped me and that made it go much faster.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Looks good Rick!

Did you use a removable mounting bracket or is it permanently
    mounted?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Looks nice. Just wondering why you mounted the GPS antenna on a ram mount

Rick Janssen

I mounted it permanently. I had a removable MinnKota before and found that I never took it off. Also I had already spent enough money on all the other stuff I needed, so I figured, why get one when I didn’t use the old one.

Rick Janssen

Looks nice. Just wondering why you mounted the GPS antenna on a ram mount

The ram mount was already on the boat when I bought it last year. That unit in the back is NOT hooked up to my new trolling motor, I needed a place to put the GPS puck, so I thought – WHY NOT.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.