new trailer laws for EVERYONE next summer

• Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

So one of my first tripsmout here in Iowa I had a dnr intern give me a talk about invasives, and provide me a sticker. He asked that I put it on the trailer so that future enforcement efforts would know that I was aware of the new regs.

When I visited Sturgeon Bay (WI), the dnr officer talked to me while I was prepping for launch, and gave me a sticker and a reuseable ice pack for transporting fish were I to keep any.

No $5, no harassment, no problems. I applaud their efforts and the spending that Iowa and Wisconsin have out forth. Furthermore, I applaud their initiative in taking responsibility rather than throwing it boaters by way of the regs and using spread of invasive species as a revenue generator.

This Minnesota business is unfortunate, and it would seem that display of the Iowa or Wisconsin sticker could be adequate. Looking at how the three are attacking the problem, which states do you think actually care about invasive species?

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

What about the poor sucker that has no plans fishing in Minnesota. Just driving through. to fish a border state?
    So he has to get a sticker??

It would be interesting to see the actual verbiage used in the regulation as opposed to the FAQ. You probably need to wait to see “exactly” what it says. The other thing is will a state patrol officer bother with an AIS sticker if you’re on the highway?

Personally, I don’t think it matters anymore whether you’re a resident or non resident. Reg changes are growing all the time. You can’t keep up with it all. Better have your APP at the ready everywhere you go because if you don’t want to get pinched you have to know.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Seems to me the DNR have been stepping up there road side stops the last few years. Got a feeling you are right about a highway patrol not worrying about a sticker. That is unless they want to use that to see what else you are up to. The DNR on the other hand will have no problem flipping on the cherries and pulling you over.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

As far as the new law goes thanks DNR for one more hurtle to jump in order to go fishing.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Point blank this law is strictly a money grab from sportsman AGAIN. Next you will need stickers for the tube, water ski’s, boat anchor, etc. This law will only take in $$$ for the state and have absolutely no effect on AIS advancing through the state water ways.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I always wonder when you get into that cross pseudo jurisdiction stuff you end up at the whim of the individual officer.

I live & fish in Wi, hunt & fish in Mn, have hunted in SD & fished in Canada. When you’ve done the non resident thing you have to check every regulation every year. It’s not just the state you’re doing the activity in either. Case in point with venison is you need to know the extent of how much you need to debone to cross state lines (as a result of CWD in Dane Co). Mn just likes a “service fee”. I was actually completely surprised the online test was cheaper. The typical govt shenanigans would be to charge extra for a “convenience” fee. I know that from renewing my Wi car tabs. Apparently it’s cheaper to mail the B$@?!ards the check and make them manually process it than to do it automatically by phone. Sorry, I digress.

The million $$$ question is are you getting the bang for your buck with all these regs and fees and a lot of people aren’t convinced you are. One thing I think of is it’s got to be God awful thankless job to be the poor suck having to sign off on these policy decisions. I know I wouldn’t touch it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Might need to have a couple thousand boats with hulls filled with tap water and plugs install descend on St Paul and pull our plugs around the capital so to speak.

Don, you’re starting to rub off on me.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Is it going to actually solve anything-doubt it, is it worth the paper it is written on-nope, is it a new way they devised to bring in more cash to fund the department-yup. Is it going to make me think twice about crossing the border to fish in minnesota-nope.

Food for thought, had they presented this by increasing the boat registration by 5 bucks, would there be the same response, or if it came as a $1.67 yearly increase in fishing licence? Almost seems to me the issue more in the way this fee increase is presented (hidden in the disguise of ais education)than the increase itself.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I’m down to just one trip a year where I pull my boat into MN, I can see that going away. I’m always amazed at all of the crap one needs to know lake to lake, no problem it’s our jobs to learn slots, AIS rules, and whatever we are suppose to know. I am in the camp who think this is purely a money grab. I still see plenty going down the road with their plug in!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When was the last time there was not an invasive species in any of our water ways?

Which also begs the question, at what point can they apply for legal status and be called native…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Almost seems to me the issue more in the way this fee increase is presented (hidden in the disguise of ais education)than the increase itself.

Never waste a crisis, even if it is hysterical or manufactured.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I love all this discourse. Again I invite any and all to attend the Game and Fish, Environmental and Finance legislative committee hearings. Most decisions that affect Anglers are made by a small group of folks. Most AIS legislation comes out of lobbyists for Lake Association. I spend much of my time over there trying to counter most of the more outrageous AIS recommendations. Confiscating boats and motors, lake quarantines, mandatory permanent check points, GPS transponders on boats to track movements, Red Boat/Blue boat stickers, 10,000 fines, closing most accesses. Never mind that most of the outrageous stuff is directed toward folks who trailer watercraft!

I suspect the new AIS test/sticker for craft being trailered from out of State or across the State, is about interdiction. How will law enforcement know that your not going to stop at a MN lake on your way to SD? Or that your not pulling a boat that was moored in Lacrosse up to LOW? As nutty as the whole thing becomes, their are still folks that blatantly disregard the rules and recommendations. Either from lack of knowledge or personality disorder. NEWS FLASH: the revenue for the sticker is not a fund raiser for the DNR operating budget. It barely covers the cost of this mandated Legislated requirement. The DNR took no position on this sticker and made it clear that it was not their first choice.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I’m supporting this effort. I repeatedly recommended this to the DNR and Legislature to help get it in place. As much as folks want to pontificate on how futile attempts are to stop Zebs and on the dollars spent; we all need to do a better job slowing it down. Argue all you want but the compliance rate for the new laws are very low. If we can move the needle from 30% compliance to 50% with this new process, good for us. Anglers who post in these types of fishing forums are the best educated on AIS laws but we are only a small fraction of the 2+ million water craft users. Nonresidents coming to MN need to know that we care about our lakes and that we don’t want them bringing AIS in. I suggest folks start looking for ways to be part of a solution, and not defend the knukleheads who can’t take the time to pull their plug and clean weeds off their trailer. Our American Society comes with the responsibility of practicing good citizenship.

This is nothing more than a money grab by the DNR. They already have people sitting at landings watching. They need to be funded somehow and this is it. Sorry, but until neighboring states adopt it, it is nothing more than a grab of cash, because they can.

What if I borrow a watercraft from a buddy that does not live in this state, and he has not taken the class, but I have? I have no card on me that states I took it and he has no sticker. I am being responsible, but how can I prove it without extra time from the warden looking up my data. All that extra “work” costs more than the sticker AND class combined.

I agree, we all need to be stewards and do our part, but you and I both know a sticker is not going to stop idiots from doing what they do. Whether they have a sticker or not, they still have to do the “work” after removing their watercraft from the water. This missing sticker just gives the warden leverage to issue a ticket because now the public will be educated from the class.

Cannot stop the inevitable. Learn to manage it and being prepared will go much further and spend a ton less money than prevention.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Olmill, here is my take. When a legislative issue comes up about AIS, the legislators hear from a hundred lake shore folks and about 3 anglers. The revenue from this sticker won’t cover all the costs to implement it. YOu might want to go to the DNR website and find the Budget Oversite Committee reports. they will give you a good idea of were and what dollars are spent on.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Most decisions that affect Anglers are made by a small group of folks.

And that small group may or may not have each anglers best interest in mind (because they don’t realize there’s border waters). )

Today we agree on one thing Buzz!

I tried finding the statute but ran out of time…and money grabs seldom start out that way, but in 3 years and the fee goes up to $33.00 because of costs…it will be.

As I’ve said before, we (you and I) only have ourselves to blame.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I see one positive coming out of this…it sounds like a lot of Packer’s fans won’t be crossing state lines anymore!

In all seriousness, if Buzz’s stats are correct (100 lake shore owners to 3 anglers), that is a sad state of affairs for the fishermen in our state. How would we expect our opinion to be heard and respected with that ratio?

It sounds to me that people need to take their opinions to the correct place (legislative meetings) where they will actually affect the future.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve been to my share of public and other meetings.

The catfish and sturgeon group has been listened to and in a few cases had movement from the DNR and legislators in our favor.

IF 1/2 the people came to a meeting that have posted here on this topic, we wouldn’t have to be talking about this crap now.

Unfortunately, many times we don’t hear about it until it’s a done deal as in this case.

I hate politics, I don’t have time for meetings…but the facts are slapping us in the face right now. It’s tough enough to try to get folks to just send an email much less show up at a meeting.

Until that changes, expect Santa and the elves to be making your policies and laws that you will have to follow.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I see one positive coming out of this…it sounds like a lot of Packer’s fans won’t be crossing state lines anymore!

In all seriousness, if Buzz’s stats are correct (100 lake shore owners to 3 anglers), that is a sad state of affairs for the fishermen in our state. How would we expect our opinion to be heard and respected with that ratio?

It sounds to me that people need to take their opinions to the correct place (legislative meetings) where they will actually affect the future.

Try getting invited to speak at a committee hearing on various issues. Seems, based on my experience in that regard, if one is on the “wrong side of the issue”, you do NOT get to speak or even an invite to sit in on the hearing. I have been invited several times and when asked what I want to say, I never get confirmation on the invite….go figure. When I ask again–I get zero response. Some issues/opinions etc. are obviously “taboo”.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Can anyone point us to a source of information about these meetings? I have no idea where or when anything like this would occur. How do you find a schedule on such things?

I have a hunch it usually happens when I’m at work…..

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Just like driving a car, if the speed limit in MN is 55 you’ll get a ticket for speeding if going faster.

If a non resident doesn’t have a sticker while driving through the State, they get a fine.

Elections are coming. Use your head when voting.

Can I help vote for the other guy in Mn? I’m from WI. -)

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

House Bill

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=HF2242&session=ls87&version=latest&session_number=0&session_year=2012

My god. Its unbelievable to actually see it in a bill. I cannot believe all of the changes I have seen in my life that have limited our freedoms. They creep up on you one tiny change at a time. That’s probably why us older guys are usually the ones that speak out first. This is turning into Europe. Next up will be making hunting so expensive and difficult only the wealthy and obsessed can participate

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Rootski, these aren’t meetings, they are legislative hearings at the State Capital many in the evening and toward the end of the session. You can sign up for email Committee notifications during the session. Please note that they have far to many issues to have hearings on and often table things until the next day or week. I would encourage you to subscribe to
    http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/comm/committee.asp?comm=88010

http://www.senate.mn/committees/committee_bio.php?cmte_id=3058&ls=

Find the subscribe tap or button and enter your email addy.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Are there no lobbyist groups sponsored by fishing interests? NAFC or BASS or other?

It sounds like the fishermans interests aren’t being sought on these issues and with all the changes, it appears that we need representation.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

“Hi Jerr,

Thanks for your question about the upcoming AIS training and decal. Yes, the way the law is written, it requires anyone trailering boats and other water-related equipment in Minnesota to do the training and display the decal. If you’d like to discuss it further or have other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

April

April Rust
    Invasive Species Training Coordinator
    Division of Ecological and Water Resources”

I think it’s absolutely idiotic to make Wisconsin residents buy this sticker when they come across I-90 to come fish South Dakota waters. The folks that support this portion of the law are brainless at best. Hello Iowa detour… While your in Iowa, make sure to fill up the truck, boat, and load up on food too. Minnesota gas stations along I90 apparently don’t need your business…

I will be detouring through Iowa on my next trip to DePere, WI.

Rant over. Stupid is taking over for common sense.

sktrwx2200

House Bill

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=HF2242&session=ls87&version=latest&session_number=0&session_year=2012

Buzz,
    Can you honestly expect your average fisherman to read and understand the legal jargon written in that bill? Holy crap. I’m a non-resident ,but got a college education at your “world class university” you folks have up there. If the educated are unwilling or unable to understand and comply to the ever growing web of MN DNR regulation, what about everyone else?
    I’m sure there are lawyers that are fisherman, but I myself don’t know one. I guess I should have majored in LAW, so that i can continue to fish the LAND OF 10,000.

I’m sure that this bill was at the very end of one of these very long “public” meetings that you have been attending and the council, just wanted to get home so they pushed it through to just get done. They couldn’t have possibly thought of any of the things brought up here.

You stated that this was not the DNRs first choice…Id be interested in knowing what the DNRs “first” choice was. I’m sure it couldn’t be any more laughable than this situation, but I’m sure I’m wrong.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I’m supporting this effort. I repeatedly recommended this to the DNR and Legislature to help get it in place. As much as folks want to pontificate on how futile attempts are to stop Zebs and on the dollars spent; we all need to do a better job slowing it down. Argue all you want but the compliance rate for the new laws are very low. If we can move the needle from 30% compliance to 50% with this new process, good for us. Anglers who post in these types of fishing forums are the best educated on AIS laws but we are only a small fraction of the 2+ million water craft users. Nonresidents coming to MN need to know that we care about our lakes and that we don’t want them bringing AIS in. I suggest folks start looking for ways to be part of a solution, and not defend the knukleheads who can’t take the time to pull their plug and clean weeds off their trailer. Our American Society comes with the responsibility of practicing good citizenship.

Good point!! SO ticket the knuckle heads that dont pull their plug and pull weeds off their trailers. DONT make me take a test and get a sticker when I am already a responsible boat owner and I do the things mentioned above.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I suspect they expect the lions share of revenue generated by this to be from ticketing those not in compliance with having the sticker, not the ones who actually pay for the stickers.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I think it needs to me mentioned one more time.

OUR (elected) made this law and NOT the MN DNR.

Now by law the DNR is forced to enforce it.

…and Buzz, you’re getting a ton of darts tossed at you. I still appreciate your willingness to come on line and try to explain the other side…Even if we don’t always agree.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.