new trailer laws for EVERYONE next summer

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The three year renewal is because this will be tied to our Boat registration and renewal. We don’t have lifetime boat stickers. This way if rig is sold, the new owner gets picked up by the system. (I hope you didn’t forget to renew your boat in the last three years LOL, if so do it now!)

Where did you hear or read this?

Yes, boats are also on a 3 year registration cycle, but that has nothing to do with the trailer. I found nothing on the DNR’s site that indicated that this new sticker would be tied to the same timeframe as the boat license.

Where did you see that it would be linked to the boat license?

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Don’t let B.T.V.S. effect you.

I’m sure there will be a MN Fee for this too.

inability to envision anything beyond the river bluffs,

It’s funny that you’ve mention this Buzz. Do you know how many laws are passed by both MN and WI that conflict with each other on the border waters? Don’t forget to toss in the Federal laws as the third ruler.

All because our lawmakers are thinking about Mille Lacs or other inland waters and not how it’s going to effect ALL border waters.

There is more to our state than inland waters. I think.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

So Buzz is this sticker going to insure that my boat TRAILER completely drains and dries while I’m at the landing? the landing I use 99.99% of the time is a steep landing and the staging area were I strap down the boat and put stuff away is a fairly steep hill giving ample time for everything to drain. I take my boat home, park it in the garage were it sits for a week. next time I go to use it I pull it out of the garage on to the driveway (which has a slight incline to) and start load stuff in to the boat. by the time I’m ready to leave lord and behold there’s a puddle of water at the back of the boat. were did that come from? THE TRAILER.
    I have brought this concern to the attention of the DNR and my state representative Denny McNamara. The DNR gave me the old “deer in the headlights” look and Denny told me that was something the trailer manufacturers would have to deal with.so if the powers to be won’t take this issue seriously why should I?
    let’s see 2 million+ boaters at 5 bucks a pop what do think the REAL motivation is here.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I guess it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me — certainly more reasonable than some of the other ideas that have been tossed around. For those who are adamantly opposed to this, is there any state-level action against invasive species that you’d be willing to support?

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Slack, you are already paying a three year $5 AIS surcharge each time you get new boat stickers. Not sure if this will replace this or be an add on. We haven’t seen a fee increase in the $5 AIS surcharge in what? 20 years? We are do for an increase. Do me a favor, total up the cost of your rig, tackle, tow vehicle and fishing expenses for three years. Now divide that by $5. Let me know the dollar amount that it comes out to be. From what pleasure and fulfillment I get from fishing , I’d gladly give back to protecting and managing the resource. (and by the way i’m in the AIS camp that believes we can’t do much more then slow it down, just a matter of time before it is everywhere).

Buzz

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Wow, what a PITA!

If we can move the needle from 30% compliance to 50% with this new process, good for us.

To quote Frasier Crane, “What color is the sky in your world”.

I don’t think taking a test is going to enlighten anybody. There are signs at most launches now and I can’t imagine there are any people who trailer boats who would say, “Invasives? I’ve never heard of that, please tell me more.” I don’t think the people who are not being good citizens are going to start complying because of a test and a sticker.

But that’s just me.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

…is there any state-level action against invasive species that you’d be willing to support?

I personally have no problem with the plug law and inspections at launches. But also remember I am commenting on the plug law as a non boat owner. BUt as a passenger I always thoroughly pull all the weeds and wipe down the boat afterward.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Fundamentally, there are those who will have you believe that doing anything is better than doing nothing.

And then there are those who believe that doing something ineffectual or ill-considered is much worse than doing nothing. Count me amongst this group.

Most of us who have been observing our government and it’s bureaucracies have seen this kind of activity many times in the past. It’s expensive, it’s annoying, and it doesn’t solve the problems. It makes the politicians feel good because “they’re doing something about it”. Baloney. If all the stickers, education, college kids at the boat ramps, plug laws, $700 fines for weeds on your trailer and remote inspection sites didn’t keep the zeebs out of Christmas lake, then why would anyone believe for a second that ANOTHER sticker and online tutorial would? It’s the same type of response, and it won’t make any more of a difference than the earlier requirements did.

As Mike W pointed out, these laws are only effective in keeping fishermen off the lake; not invasive species. We just lost the first lake in this battle. It’s time to get organized and fight back.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Fundamentally, there are those who will have you believe that doing anything is better than doing nothing.

And then there are those who believe that doing something ineffectual or ill-considered is much worse than doing nothing. Count me amongst this group.

Most of us who have been observing our government and it’s bureaucracies have seen this kind of activity many times in the past. It’s expensive, it’s annoying, and it doesn’t solve the problems. It makes the politicians feel good because “they’re doing something about it”. Baloney. If all the stickers, education, college kids at the boat ramps, plug laws, $700 fines for weeds on your trailer and remote inspection sites didn’t keep the zeebs out of Christmas lake, then why would anyone believe for a second that ANOTHER sticker and online tutorial would? It’s the same type of response, and it won’t make any more of a difference than the earlier requirements did.

As Mike W pointed out, these laws are only effective in keeping fishermen off the lake; not invasive species. We just lost the first lake in this battle. It’s time to get organized and fight back.

AMEN!!!!
    Only “knuckelehads” would disagree with the rootski post is the BUZZ I hear….

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

I really do not understand how they can enforce this law for people who are travelling from other states through MN and not planning on launching their boat on MN waters. I can see them enforcing such a law if you were at a boat ramp putting in or out.
    I really do not see who will be enforcing this? Police or DNR?
    I just can’t imagine someone being pulled over driving down the interstate for not having a sticker on their trailer. Someone will come unglued!!!!
    I am all for protecting our waters but seriously this has to be better thought out.

RVRDUX

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Wonder where they put their sticker?

Attachments:
    1. flock_geese.jpg

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

This is insane. Look at all the little ponds and lakes in the metro that are full of Eurasion millfoil that only have waterfowl and turtles moving between them. No access no canoes no swimming. Look how dandelions spread continent wide from a few settlors in New York that missed them from their home land. What about pigeons, Starlings, house sparrows. All invaders. Asian lady bugs brought here by organic farmers to kill aphids now a plaugue. These stickers are only a revenue generator nothing more and a way to placate some do gooders thinking this will make a difference. Once something is here mother nature has away of moving stuff around.

Mwal

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This is insane. Look at all the little ponds and lakes in the metro that are full of Eurasion millfoil that only have waterfowl and turtles moving between them. No access no canoes no swimming. Look how dandelions spread continent wide from a few settlors in New York that missed them from their home land. What about pigeons, Starlings, house sparrows. All invaders. Asian lady bugs brought here by organic farmers to kill aphids now a plaugue. These stickers are only a revenue generator nothing more and a way to placate some do gooders thinking this will make a difference. Once something is here mother nature has away of moving stuff around.

Mwal

Agreed. Simply a revenue generator. Us outdoorsman know how futile this is therefore it cant be anything else.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I really do not understand how they can enforce this law for people who are travelling from other states through MN and not planning on launching their boat on MN waters. I can see them enforcing such a law if you were at a boat ramp putting in or out.
    I just can’t imagine someone being pulled over driving down the interstate for not having a sticker on their trailer. Someone will come unglued!!!!
    I am all for protecting our waters but seriously this has to be better thought out.

RVRDUX

Know anyone that has been pulled over for having their plug in? I don’t.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Personally, no one could ever convince me that wildlife spreads invasives faster and more effectively than man. Which little ponds are you referring to and what are the invasives? If we are talking about milfoil, it can be spread by people dumping aquarium water and many lakes in the metro are connected by creeks, rivers and storm drainage.

I just don’t think wildlife is a good counter argument against overreaching laws “designed” for slowing the spread of invasives.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mr. DX a otherwise law abiding citizen doesn’t have to launch their boat in our beloved State. The laws have ais in mind, but we are breaking the law simply by

Having a plug in the boat.
    Not having the require sticker.
    Transporting ANY water.

Making those items illegal prevents LEO’s from having to prove there is ais transported.

It would be the same as not displaying your license tabs. Whether or not you’ve paid for them, you’ll get a citation for them not being displayed.

To answer the question on who will enforce this… Yes. All the above. State Troopers, Sheriff’s, Co’s and local Police Depts.

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

I guess the biggest concern that I would have with this law is that if someone from a non neighboring state would be headed through MN to Canada or somehwere to fish how would they know about this law.

What are they gonna do place a sign at every road into MN saying you need this course and sticker and then it is to late anyway.

I don’t know it just doesn’t seem like common sense to me….

RVRDUX

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think it was Steve Fellegy who mentioned the sprayers being on the windward side of Mille Lacs instead of where the boats were being launched in quieter water on the opposite shore. Here on Lake Zumbro I have seen the units set up in the parking area of Fisherman’s Inn many times [a private, pay launch site mind you] when my vehicle was the only one in the lot while the public landing six miles away was full of vehicles with trailers.

I guess I think that the money spent on these units would be better used if they were located where the traffic count was highest. I think there’s an awful lot of these kids manning the units that want a pay check but don’t really want to have to work to get it. In one instance at Fisherman’s as I was getting ready to pull the boat I noticed that the truck’s occupant was asleep. He did a lot of good. If I’d have had the camera along I would have taken his picture including the truck’s license plate number. I honestly think the program is a waste of tax-payer money, and things like this support my opinion. The laws won’t work if all of these dnr jobs are done slip-shod.

With these very specific rules pertaining to those of use who tow boats and water-craft, I think we need to have some very specific rules for those enforcing the laws…such as at landings only. Another thing they could do is eliminate the dnr and sheriff’s boats from being exempt from this. Then they could ake it illegal to have ramp/launching sites in the yards of shoreline home-owners and if a lake and a public access to it is closed on the ruse of controlling invasives, all boat, canoe, paddleboat, jet ski, etc, etc, should be prohibited.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I guess the biggest concern that I would have with this law is that if someone from a non neighboring state would be headed through MN to Canada or somehwere to fish how would they know about this law.

Haven’t you ever heard the saying, “Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, it’s a source of revenue”.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

Slack, you are already paying a three year $5 AIS surcharge each time you get new boat stickers. Not sure if this will replace this or be an add on. We haven’t seen a fee increase in the $5 AIS surcharge in what? 20 years? We are do for an increase. Do me a favor, total up the cost of your rig, tackle, tow vehicle and fishing expenses for three years. Now divide that by $5. Let me know the dollar amount that it comes out to be. From what pleasure and fulfillment I get from fishing , I’d gladly give back to protecting and managing the resource. (and by the way i’m in the AIS camp that believes we can’t do much more then slow it down, just a matter of time before it is everywhere).

Buzz

Buzz,
    take the blinders off and read what I had said again, don’t just concentrate on the cash cow. You like the powers to be completely ignored the issue of water in boat trailers. my point is if they are only going to do the job 60 or 70% why bother. I would rather take a bullet to the head and die instantly then take one in the gut and die a slow agonizing death. hence, we can’t stop it we can only slow it down.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hunt4dx wrote:</div>

Know anyone that has been pulled over for having their plug in? I don’t.

I do. He almost quit duck hunting in Mn because of it.

jerry b
    western WI

I’ve currently an email into MN DNR about towing my boat across MN to SD. I’ll post the reply when/if I get one. A question I had but didn’t ask was concerning my pup swimming in MN. Do I need to have her inspected after each outing?? jerr

Rust, April (DNR) <[email protected]>
    4:49 PM (12 minutes ago)

to me
    Hi Jerr,

Thanks for your question about the upcoming AIS training and decal. Yes, the way the law is written, it requires anyone trailering boats and other water-related equipment in Minnesota to do the training and display the decal. If you’d like to discuss it further or have other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

April

April Rust
    Invasive Species Training Coordinator
    Division of Ecological and Water Resources

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
    500 Lafayette Road |St. Paul MN 55155-4025
    651.259.5706 |[email protected]

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Slack, I’m not expert AIS education. I’m thinking progress on public education regarding the new AIS prevention strategies is best measured in 2-5% progress for each method. If folks are looking for a 100% solution: go join up with the folks who want to quarantine all lakes. Stickers won’t prevent AIS from spreading but will perhaps bring the issue home for some. Not everyone responds to the same thing. Awareness is best done by using a variety of methods.

desperado

Sorry never mind. I will not get one to fuel up my boat when I drive into Winona. Man you guys across the river have some funny laws?

I guess you’d need the sticker once you’re half-way accross the bridge ???

desperado

Slack, I’m not expert AIS education. I’m thinking progress on public education regarding the new AIS prevention strategies is best measured in 2-5% progress for each method. If folks are looking for a 100% solution: go join up with the folks who want to quarantine all lakes.

If we’re currently at 30% compliance and we can get an additional 5% per pop … my math says the folks looking for 100%, just gotta push for 14 more stickers.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

If it takes only one incident to infect a lake, then it becomes obvious that there isn’t any value with increased compliance.

Assume there’s 100 people living around Lake X, and 99 of them carefully comply with best practices and laws and don’t introduce invasives into the lake. One guy gets a great deal on a boat lift from his brother-in-law and it’s full of zeebs, and he ends up introducing them into the lake.

YOU HAD 99% COMPLIANCE, AND IT WASN’T ENOUGH.

We could cover our trailers with stickers until the cows come home and all it takes is one dirty boat lift, one bilge full of veligers, one glob of weeds falling off a sheriff’s trailer and it was all a waste of time and money. The suggestion that this newest sticker will increase compliance from 30% to 50% is laughable. It’s meaningless.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

All this time, from living in and traveling to(regrettably) California, I thought it was the land of fruits and nuts. Perhaps I was mistaken.
    When was the last time there was not an invasive species in any of our water ways?

desperado

When was the last time there was not an invasive species in any of our water ways?

1492 ?

goosehunter

Give me a break! the new deer hunting regulations and now this?!?

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I’m supporting this effort. I repeatedly recommended this to the DNR and Legislature to help get it in place. As much as folks want to pontificate on how futile attempts are to stop Zebs and on the dollars spent; we all need to do a better job slowing it down. Argue all you want but the compliance rate for the new laws are very low. If we can move the needle from 30% compliance to 50% with this new process, good for us. Anglers who post in these types of fishing forums are the best educated on AIS laws but we are only a small fraction of the 2+ million water craft users. Nonresidents coming to MN need to know that we care about our lakes and that we don’t want them bringing AIS in. I suggest folks start looking for ways to be part of a solution, and not defend the knukleheads who can’t take the time to pull their plug and clean weeds off their trailer. Our American Society comes with the responsibility of practicing good citizenship.

Buzz, what other new laws and regulations are you working on to get passed by our legislature? I want to have a heads up so I can plan more study time for the newer and better 10,000 regs and laws that will pertain to fishing & hunting in the State of Minnesota for the future.

Non-residents don’t need to know that we care about our lakes because they will just stop coming. Just another nail in the tourism coffin.

Have you ever looked at all the permits, licenses, tags,stickers & regulations that is required by this state? Have you ever added up the cost for all of this just to hunt and fish in Minnesota?

Good God Ethel!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.