New to walleye

• Dandav
    Camanche, ia

Ok new to the forum thanks in advance for any help!I just got a new to me boat 2001 alumacraft tournament pro. looking to do some walleye fishing. I have bass fishing experience from old boat but would like to learn more about walleye I have some good shore spots but can’t figure out any new ones from boat. Had this week off but only found 2 in 3 trips. The water is up on pool 14 where I fish so maybe that has something to do with it? Also anyone know of any guides down this way (camanche pool 14) might speed up the process.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome to Ido Daniel,

Nice boat, I’m sure you’re going to like it. What area are you from?
    Most of use put our location in our profile to help give us and idea of what general location your in.

If you’re at Comanche, your flow is about 55k cfs.

I’ll let the other guys that actually fish for eyes in that kind of flow answer your questions. But generally around here, at that flow the eyes are trying to stay out of the fast water and are staged near shore around current seams.
    Wing dams or anything that will block the faster water.

Good Luck!

Dandav
    Camanche, ia

Ok thanks Brian! I will add that info now. I hit a few wingdams but there was alot of current so maybe the ones with less current on them? Also I see your a catfish guy. I can’t seem to keep the flatheads off my cranks this year (good thing) I have caught 5 already cranking rocks them things are fun.

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

When the water is up I’ve done the best fishing 5 ft or less with little to no current with lipless cranks. Spots you’d expect to find largemouths and northern. Even hot sunny days they’re very often in two or three feet. That can change real quick when the river starts falling though.

Dandav
    Camanche, ia

Ok thanks. That sounds like a fun way to catch them. I will have to give it a go. Water is still flowing pretty good around here.

hnd

find expansive flats (plenty on 14) and cast cranks to them. running dubuque rigs (google it there are much better explanations than i can give you) across the face of wingdams is popular when the flow is lower.

but i really like fishing flats right now. flats adjacent to the sand pits are producing.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

By no means am I a river expert, but over the years walleyes have shown me that they really are lazy monkeybutts. Most my bigger fish have come off pretty slow current seams, and took me awhile to figure this out. Yes there are plenty of fish in current, but the more quality ones are in that sweet spot of flow. Figure out the flow and find fish!

Dandav
    Camanche, ia

Thanks for the replies! I have a question about fishing flats. Are you casting to structure or on the edge of the flats. just would like to know what I should be looking for.

hnd

i cast up to the flats often times they’ll be all over the flats. i’ll anchor adjacent to the flats and fan cast. other times right on the edge where it drops off into the channel. it all depends.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.