New tip up in 2018 FishOly Strike-N-Light

• Diana Olson

FishOly Strike-N-Light ice fishing tip up is brand new this year. It is unlike anything before. Light and sound signals when tipped and will continue until you reset. Never miss a strike. Control sensitivity and drag. Use the reel of your choice. See what it’s all about at http://www.fisholy.com.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Wow! Looks like a blast reeling in a fish with a heavy piece of plastic. Another product placement. $75 bucks for a tip down with no rod, I’ll pass

Matthew Sandys

I will stick with finicky fooler or I fish pro. Can use rod and opens bail when fish hits.

Diana Olson

Craig Sery: Thanks for visiting fisholy.com. We really appreciate it! For what its worth these are not plastic, they are poly carbonate (just fyi). These tip ups are tough and have withstood all of our tests in extreme conditions. I can appreciate that you’re not interested due to the lack of a rod. It is pretty different to not have the leverage that a longer rod provides. We’re just over joyed that you took the time to take a look. Thanks again for the post.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Diana: Please explain to me how poly carbonate is not plastic? FYI…

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Here

Attachments:
    1. BCB203B9-CA99-4E3B-99D0-BD678BB0827B.png

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

And one more thing, you’ve been a member for an hour, your first post was 35 minutes ago, and it was this

Diana Olson

Craig Sery: You are correct. Polycarbonate is a type of plastic. Most people think of plastic as cheap and easily broken and I didn’t want anyone to get the wrong impression of our tip ups. But you are absolutely right. Polycarbonate is a type of plastic. Also, my sincere apologies if I have done something wrong here. My intention was to simply get the word out about something new. I truly did not intend to offend. I will no longer post. Again, my sincere apologies.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I think I’ll stick with the i fish Pro

David Blais

What keeps the hole from freezing shut

Dave maze
    Isanti

What keeps the line from freezing on your reel after one fish?

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Well here is my .02 cents. One, why is that rod so short? It may as well not be there. Two, as David asked, what keeps the hole open? Three, to come on here when your product is called plastic and you try passing off poly carbonate as something other then plastic by a fancier name. That comes off as dishonest to me.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

Send me a couple, I’ll get the word out!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Don’t let the fellas from Ultimate Tip up see this, Cause they also claiming to have the best! We could have ourselves a good’ol fashion PR war!

404 ERROR
    MN

Attachments:
    1. Bobby.gif

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

an over engineered waste of money. X2 for the I fish pro

Diana Olson

Hi, this is Jerry, I will chime in for my wife, for the record Diana does know that poly carbonate is plastic, when she typed it out she left out the word cheap in front of plastic (pc is not plastic) she meant to type in pc is not cheap plastic. it was an error but she was not trying to be dishonest. pc is expensive plastic but is very tough even in cold temps, that is why we use it. ABS was another possibility but in negative temps the pc performed better.

In answers to the questions posted here.
    all great questions by the way.

how do you keep the hole from freezing over? I don’t, we just make rounds every 20 minutes or so to clean out holes, gives us something to do on the ice in between bites. it’s not for everyone it’s just what we do.

how do you keep the line from freezing after the first fish?
    It has actually not been a problem for the most part. We did see some freezing line spools at -10, but we found we just spool off a few feet of line after it flash freezes, reel it back up and its ready to go. we use braided line for the most of the setups.

why is the rod so short? I get this question a lot, there is no rod, it is a tip-up with a reel holder. I have been using something like this for the last 40 plus years, a fishing reel attached to homemade cross wood dowel tip-ups. The reel just allows quick change of line or reel size on the tip-up, quick retrieval of the fish or line especially when fishing deep water. Yes, it is a challenge on larger fish without the leverage of a rod but it has become a fun challenge, reel against fish.

Is it over engineered? probably yes, it has been a long learning experience, trying to build this unit to make it durable on the ice and keep it in an affordable price range, the price being the biggest challenge, I am working on getting the price point down. Most of the parts are made here in the states, and because we can only order small quantities of material the parts places charge me double, they said that’s just the way it is and they seem to be correct on that point.

So yes, it’s a another tip-up, but with some bells and whistles on it. for us it has eliminated the need to shine a flashlight out at the tip-ups in the dark to see if a flag is up. At a quick glance you can see all of the units glowing on the ice at night and see or hear if a flag is up. I am not trying to pry people away from what they like to use, it’s just another offering in the line up in the tip-up world.

However, it does not prevent people from running over them day or night with four wheelers or snow machines, that will still happen.(three times so far).

I just like putting fish on the deck and wanted help others do the same.
    sorry for the long post
    Jerry

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s great you guys are out trying to create something new and do good for your selves, my first thought of it was I thought it was a star wars joke. And the entire quick change of lines and reels, I’d day the I fish pro beat you to it, and at least then you fight each fish with a real rod and reel. Add a glow stick and bingo. Its lit up at night. Sorry I’m just trying to give you a honest opinion, I’m a avid ice fisherman always looking for new gear. But this won’t be something I buy

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I’ve got a great idea, give one away to a lucky guy on this forum and have him try it and give all of us an honest review. I’d recommend Joe Scegura whos on the ice everyday.
    Congrats on trying to make some new gear.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Geez, tough crowd here…how about some more constructive criticism versus slamming the product? I’m not a tip-up guy myself but I appreciate someone developing a new product and putting it out to the market.

Diana and Jerry – consider this my official welcome, I hope this product is wildly successful for you.

David Blais

$75 seems steep…for $25 I’d try it. That seems to be my cut off for things I question.

Diana Olson

Pailofperch, that is a good idea, get me the address info and I would gladly send Joe Scegura one.

PikeFishman, thank you for the welcome. some criticism is not always a bad thing as it can sometimes help you make the product better. I first started testing this on the ice about 4 years ago and as with prototypes you find oopses each time, bring it back and try to fix it. The first time I had other ice fisherman test it was 2016 ice season during the burbot bash at Flaming George, WY. I gave away 12 units to three four person teams that were on the ice a lot to try them out and keep, and in return give me feed back on whether they liked it or not and how to improve it or not. Two of the teams we gave units too won 1st and 2nd at the derby. They told me they were pretty skeptical at first but in the end they said they had fun using the strike-n-light tip-ups. They liked that they could see and hear a strike from over 100′ away and to be able to reel the fish up on a tip-up instead of hand lining it.
    Now to their critiquing part; what they wanted to see a change in was a louder horn, brighter lighted flags, not as much night light at the flag base and a way to tip the unit in free spool. It kind of hurt as I thought I had it spot on, when apparently it was not. So during last season I updated it to their requests and will give them another unit to critique again for this season.

Thanks again for the welcome.
    Jerry

Diana Olson

David Blais, I agree with you 75 is steep, I am trying to get it reduced to a more affordable price. The circuit board is whats killing me on the price, very expensive, so that is my first targeted area to reconfigure to see if I can get the price of the board knocked down. the PCB is made in Wisconsin and not in China so there is a cost jump there by keeping it in the US.
    Thx
    Jerry

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.