New Tillers

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Anyone here run one of the newer aluminum tillers? Looking at upgrading in the next year and really leaning towards a competitor 185 Tiller. The price and layout seem tough to beat in that build. Anyone wish they went with a windshield boat?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

All you windshield guys will swear by them and the tiller guys will swear by the tiller.

Match the boat to the way you like to fish.

OG Net_Man

Went back and forth between owning tiller and windshield boats. Getting from point A to B on bigger water a windshield boat gets the nod. For me the tiller gets the nod for fishing capabilities but this will vary on your fishing style and which bodies of waters you mainly fish. If your fishing style has you fishing from the bow then I would prefer a windshield boat.

The only correct answer is just buy 1 of each plus another…. laugh

I have no regrets not going with a windshield boat on my last purchase. For me I ended up fishing less when I owned a windshield boat versus a tiller boat and owning 1 of each which I did has issues as well.

I just purchased a Competitor 185 tiller last summer and have no regrets. Yes, a lot of bang for your buck. I consider myself a Lund guy but there is no way in he!! that the Proguide is worth 7 – 8,000 more than Competitor. Yes, that was the pricing differences in 2023. Since the motor and trailer is comparable the price difference is in just the boat. I would have been happy fishing out of the Proguide but I would have to do it standing up because my backside would be sore for paying their inflated price.

Walleye Hungry

I have a 2021 comp 185. Love it for fishing and handles really well in big, rough water. I have a nice pair of simms waterproof jacket, bibs and boots so the spray doesnt bother me. If you have any specific questions feel free to reach out

Beast

I run a 2020 alumacraft voyager tiller. I like the extra room and storage the tiller gives me.
    the layout just works for my style of fishing.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Thought I was gonna pick up some good advice in this thread about tilling the garden.

I’m getting old.

MX1825

Thought I was gonna pick up some good advice in this thread about tilling the garden.

I’m getting old.

You’re not old. Gardens are work and OLD people HATE work. JMO
    whistling

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I am a tiller guy. The competitor layout has not changed much in the last decade +. They are great rigs. You should be able to find a sweet deal on carryover models right now.

I fish out of the 175 tiller the most and have spent a lot of time in pro guides as well. If you like tillers, buy one. You gotta get what is right for you.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Seems tough to not buy. Always had tillers so why change? Hoping to catch a deal in the fall or winter months on one.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Seems tough to not buy. Always had tillers so why change? Hoping to catch a deal in the fall or winter months on one.

I always ran tillers. Now have a windshield and my next boat will be a tiller. The windshield is only nice when it’s brutal cold and windy to block the wind. Otherwise it’s a space killer big time. I do like the windshield but it’s not my style

shefland
    Walker

have a 185 and love it, almost went to the dark side with a windshield last purchase, but stayed with the tiller, works for me. Yes in cold and wind windshield will rule, but on those kind of days I will just stay on shore. I am a oldtimer

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m very torn on what my next boat will be. I currently run a 17.5’ Tuffy with the bubble windshields. Sometimes I think it’s the best of both worlds giving me a windbreak without taking up quite as much space, while other times I think a full windshield or tiller would be better.

I had a pen in my hand to write the check on a new Competitor 185 with the windshield in the Spring of 2020 right before the Covid crap, but backpedaled debating if I’d miss glass.

I like to pull cranks on the river, pull bouncers, slip some current seams with live bait, pull Dubuque rigs, and once in a great while drown rigs on wingdams. I go back and forth as to what is better for my uses as I do sometimes make pretty long runs on Pool 4 that I may regret with the tiller.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I’m 42 years old and I have never owned a wheel boat. Currently on my 12th tiller.

My last rig was a 185 Comp Tiller, and I loved the thing. But, I’ve always wanted a 20′ tiller, so I decided to buy 205 Comp on my wife’s birthday. )

I’ll never run anything other than a tiller. Just make sure you have a good set of rain gear. Another perk to the tiller, best ride in the boat is in the back.

My wife doesn’t know it yet, but I am waiting for John to actually release his 20′ Tiller so I can move forward with that rig.

The kids love fishing in it with all the room. I crank up XM radio they run around when needed and I keep fishing. Th walleye is the first eye the girl caught totally on her own.

Attachments:
    1. 123_1.jpeg

2. IMG_3394-scaled.jpg

3. IMG_3382-scaled.jpg

4. 20200808_141427-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I will be boat shopping in the next couple years due to growing family and what tiller life is running is about my ideal set up.
    And that’s a awesome picture of the baby girl with the baby walleye waytogo
    Same with how happy the boy is about the crappies. I love that and remember when I son was small like that. He loved playing with the fish and always had a minnow in his hand

tim hurley

Tillers not only do not take up as much space it folds out of the way when not in use, you can control speed and direction with one hand. I rarely have to do long runs on big water, so that’s my bias.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Tillers not only do not take up as much space it folds out of the way when not in use, you can control speed and direction with one hand. I rarely have to do long runs on big water, so that’s my bias.

Meh, I make 30 minute runs fairly often and have no issues. I barely even hold the tiller handle.

OG Net_Man

I’m very torn on what my next boat will be. I currently run a 17.5’ Tuffy with the bubble windshields. Sometimes I think it’s the best of both worlds giving me a windbreak without taking up quite as much space, while other times I think a full windshield or tiller would be better.

I had a pen in my hand to write the check on a new Competitor 185 with the windshield in the Spring of 2020 right before the Covid crap, but backpedaled debating if I’d miss glass.

I like to pull cranks on the river, pull bouncers, slip some current seams with live bait, pull Dubuque rigs, and once in a great while drown rigs on wingdams. I go back and forth as to what is better for my uses as I do sometimes make pretty long runs on Pool 4 that I may regret with the tiller.

Miss glass on the river? Unless you run on Lake Pepin I am starting to think that you are getting soft. grin

When I fish lakes such as Mille Lacs, Green Bay or Lake of the Woods I tell myself that I can’t wait to get back to the river and fish calm water.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Sounds like I have the right idea toast

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^I fish Pepin the back half of May and all of June for sure. It can push the largest of fishing boats off the water with the right wind direction.

There’s been plenty of days where we nab a limit of eyes/saugers off the lake then run down into the islands below Wabasha towards Alma and search for jumbo perch. That’s quite a haul if it isn’t calm. Glass is definitely better for those runs.

Last year I had some family down and we ran 3 boats from Wabasha and fished all the way up to Frontenac, did a shore lunch by Maiden Rock, and ran all the way back to Wabasha with a stop at the Pickle in Pepin. That was a full tank of fuel plus a 6 gallon jug, and plenty of rough water from wind and the pleasure boats

Stanley

I have both and for pure fishing the tiller is great. For a family boat the windshield seems to be better liked amongst the family(5 of us). When it’s just 2 or 3 of us fishing the windshield isn’t that bad for room but is cramped with the whole family. But my 2 boats aren’t really comparable size wise. The tiller is a 87 16’ w/25hp and the other a 22 comp 185 fSX. We had a side counsel before going full windshield and I really like that layout as well.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have both and for pure fishing the tiller is great. For a family boat the windshield seems to be better liked amongst the family(5 of us). When it’s just 2 or 3 of us fishing the windshield isn’t that bad for room but is cramped with the whole family. But my 2 boats aren’t really comparable size wise. The tiller is a 87 16’ w/25hp and the other a 22 comp 185 fSX. We had a side counsel before going full windshield and I really like that layout as well.

Thats a good point. It will also be a family boat. But 95% of the time will be used for fishing or just cruising around the lake if the fam wants.

jwellsy

In waters bigger than 100 acres I prefer having a windshield.

Alagnak1

Tiller, side console, tiller, tiller, center console, windshield, tiller, tiller, now back to windshield plus pontoon. At this point in my life family comfort is the main factor and occasional water sports as well. I can fish out of anything. But even with hydraulic assist I don’t care to pull kids with a tiller ever again vs a wheel. In a perfect world several boats is nice but a pain to maintain/store/insure. I’ve had a couple at a time 2x and I’m back at it again. But I still miss a smaller tiller when I’m fishing solo.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

??? are you missing a “0”

OG Net_Man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jwellsy wrote:</div>

??? are you missing a “0”

Maybe missing 2 zeros

dirtywater

It’s difficult to light a doobie in my tiller on a windy day, otherwise I don’t miss the windshield.

candiru

I run a 2020 alumacraft voyager tiller. I like the extra room and storage the tiller gives me.
    the layout just works for my style of fishing.

I have a 2019. Two 8-foot rod lockers. I love it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Young guy like you I’d say tiller all day bud!

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

If you typically drive 5 minutes across the lake a tiller is great.
    If you typically drive 56 minutes up the lake picking bugs from your teeth you will wish you had the single windshield.
    I typically drive 5 minutes across the lake and I’m glad I got the chose the Classic CS.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

If you typically drive 5 minutes across the lake a tiller is great.
    If you typically drive 56 minutes up the lake picking bugs from your teeth you will wish you had the single windshield.
    I typically drive 5 minutes across the lake and I’m glad I got the chose the Classic CS.

Meh, I’ve never had an issue and never wished I had a windshield.

I regularly make 25-30 minute runs at 40+mph and never had a problem with bugs. I’ve also made those same runs in Oct and Nov when it’s in the 30s and still wouldn’t change a thing. To each their own.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.