New Suzuki water pump not working

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Bought a new outboard for dad’s boat, it had an old oversized 2 stroke and the lake we are on is now no wake so I wanted something that would work better. We ordered basically a 15hp kicker, tiller handle, power trim, electric start, efi. Finished the install, took it to a lake that we can run above no wake and put it in the water. Fired it up, let it idle….no water peeing. Water is cold, started to spit a little, very little, let it idle, then the light came on. The intake felt hot, WTF. Bad part us we had to buy it from a dealer far away because the local dealers didn’t have one, now we have to use a dealer we didn’t buy it from….this sucks….I have had nothing but good luck with Suzuki until now, hopefully they stand behind it.

B-man

If your mechanically inclined, take the lower unit off and inspect the impeller. It could be a simple fix and you might not have to wait on a dealer.

From what you describe, it sounds like it could have been installed backwards, or you have a chunk of debris in the way.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Yes, a water pump would be an easy fix, but it is brand new and under warranty and I want it documented that there are issues.

Jason

Yes, a water pump would be an easy fix, but it is brand new and under warranty and I want it documented that there are issues.

I had to replace my impeller on a 2019 Suzuki 30hp. It was still under warranty but the dealer said 4 weeks out so I did it myself. I bought the kit online for $25 and had it fixed in 1 1/2 hr. Part of 1 rubber finger broke off and lodged up in an elbow by the engine block.

Deuces

I’ve been waiting on a part for my suzuki.

My mom’s new yamaha needs a part that is backordered.

I get the warranty thing, but with the influx of people buying literally everything out there right now and this covid and shipping /manufacturing delays, you may be better off buying an aftermarket yourself if you want to see water anytime soon.

Hope it works out.

CaptainMusky

Take the hood off and remove the hose that goes to the telltale. Could be something plugged in there. That is the quickest at perhaps easiest thing to fix. I would do that before digging into anything else. Also remove the screens on the lower unit if you dont find anything in the telltale. Then use and air compressor and blow air back through the system from the hose that goes to the telltale.

mojogunter

He said though he thought the motor was running hot and it wasn’t just the telltale hose not spitting water. Does a small kicker size motor have a light or a beep when it overheats? I know my Evinrude kicker had a light for low oil pressure. I don’t recall if the mercury pro kicker has a light, and I have never had it overheat that I know of to see if it would beep or a light flash.

Take the hood off and remove the hose that goes to the telltale. Could be something plugged in there. That is the quickest at perhaps easiest thing to fix. I would do that before digging into anything else. Also remove the screens on the lower unit if you dont find anything in the telltale. Then use and air compressor and blow air back through the system from the hose that goes to the telltale.

CaptainMusky

He said though he thought the motor was running hot and it wasn’t just the telltale hose not spitting water. Does a small kicker size motor have a light or a beep when it overheats? I know my Evinrude kicker had a light for low oil pressure. I don’t recall if the mercury pro kicker has a light, and I have never had it overheat that I know of to see if it would beep or a light flash.

The motor WILL run hot if water isnt coming out the telltale or if very little water is coming out of it. That is how the motor is cooled. If water is not going through the system that water gets hot inside. Wouldnt be a bad idea to check oil level as well, but that wouldnt cause little or no water coming out of the telltale. That is either a plug within the system OR the impeller not working. My guess is its a plug within the system vs the impeller.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Your motor may not over heat only because of a telltale being plugged. In some cases a specific component, like the fuel cooler on some Yamahas or the compressor on a Opti, will run hot if it’s fed by the same hose. This is true for the majority of outboards out there. The vast majority of the cooling water leaves through the prop with the exhaust. I can tell you my old Suzuki 2-stroke has basically zero water leaving the telltale until the thermostat opens and you have the engine running a fair bit over idle, but it never overheats. Now if you have significant flow out of the prop you can assume the impeller is doing it’s job and you have a blockage somewhere. No or a trickle out of the prop pull the gearcase and check/change the impeller whether you wait for the dealer or not.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Dropped it off, they said they are 2 weeks out. I’ll order a pump kit and if it drags out too long I’ll pull it apart myself and figure it out.

Beast

Could it possibly a thermostat stuck shut?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Unless Suzuki is totally different, or I’m way off base, I believe a closed Tstat still allows water through and out the telltale, it just routes around the block. Tstat open and closes the cooling circuits in the block.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’m not sure, that’s why I want them to check it out.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Beast wrote:</div>

Unless Suzuki is totally different, or I’m way off base, I believe a closed Tstat still allows water through and out the telltale, it just routes around the block. Tstat open and closes the cooling circuits in the block.

I have a Suzuki, but not a 15HP and there is always water coming out of it when its running regardless if the motor is cold or up to temp. I would imagine that to be the case throughout the lineup.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.